Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dodgy gas fitters – would you pay the bill?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

My folks asked their tenants in Edinburgh to find a gas service engineer to test and certificate the aga style cooker in their flat.

The first guys appeared to have no idea how the stove worked, they did not have the necessary testing equipment, and condemned the stove and shut off the gas supply to it.

A second engineer, retested it with the correct equipment, cleaned the existing parts, then certified it safe and fit for purpose.

The bills arrived. The second successful engineer charged ninety pounds, the first cowboy bill was for one hundred and twenty pounds.

My folks are reluctant to pay the latter bill. What would you do? Is it worth pointing out to the company why we feel we should not pay for their services?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Absolutly – I wouldn’t pay it. were the company gas safe registered?

Drac

What TJ said and consider charging them having to reconnect the gas supply.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Absolutly – I wouldn’t pay it. were the company gas safe registered?

Their invoice states that they are gas safe registered and gives a registration number. 3957.

I’ll look it up.

specialknees
    Free Member

Ask them exactly what you are paying for.

They said the appliance was not safe and issued a warning notice i assume? If so they must by law issue a Gas warning notice (CP14). On that notice it must clearly state the reason for classifying the appliance as unsafe, unsafe appliances are classified as one of three designations. ID (IMMEDIATELY DANGEROUS) AR (AT RISK) or lastly NCS (NOT TO CURRENT STANDARDS. Do you have a warning notice and if so what is the designation?
    Did the company state exactly what the problem was?
    Did the company offer to rectify the problem?
    Did the company advise your parent (or responsible person) why they shut the appliance down?
    All the above are requirements under the ‘Gas Safety installation and use act’.
    I checked their credentials using the number you gave, made me chuckle as their home page has in big letters ”Highly qualified Gas Safe engineers”.
    If you need any advice please let me know, I’m a Gas inspector and Qualified Gas Safe Engineer with 35 yrs in the business.

specialknees
    Free Member

Sorry, Another thing.
    The Actual attending Engineer must also be approved and the notice must have their Operative ID Licence Number on it. Basically as well as company being registered with Gas Safe the Individual must also be registered. He must also be qualified in the discipline relevant to the piece of equipment being worked on.
    The Codes are listed on the reverse of his ID card and if you know he ID number it can be checked online.
    The Code for Domestic Cooking Equipment is CKR 1. He should also be qualified in Basic Gas Safety. The code for that is CCN1. That’s the bare minimum he would need to work on any domestic gas cooker. If the AGA type appliance has any form of boiler attached for hot water or heating as many do he must also have WAT 1. Which cover water heaters etc.
    It wouldn’t be the first time a large company have used employees not suitably qualified for the particular task in hand.
    A few direct questions to the company may result in the Invoice being withdrawn.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Special knees, that is great advice. We will pen a letter highlighting your points and see where it takes us.

The tenants are a group of architects, they were pretty shocked by the service. We will contact them to see if they were issued with any of the notices you suggested, and also a record of the engineers card/credentials or at least a visual description of his appearance.

Had my folks been there they’d have been talked into a new aga.

specialknees
    Free Member

Good luck,

Keep us posted.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dodgy gas fitters – would you pay the bill?’ is closed to new replies.