Viewing 15 posts - 1,721 through 1,735 (of 1,735 total)
  • doctors on strike
  • kimbers

Australians getting pissed off again with economic migrants from failing nations flooding their country

https://www.ft.com/content/38513e9a-a029-11e6-86d5-4e36b35c3550

I think a slow clap for jeremy hunt, is called for

just5minutes
    Free Member

There’s an interesting quote in the FT piece from a UK trained medics now working in Australia which points to one of the core problems in the NHS – that of a culture which is resistant at nearly every level to any form of change or taking what works from abroad and implementing it here… the “not invented here” syndrome that also exists between individual trusts, let alone between the NHS and other health systems.

“I spent a decade working at a hospital in Adelaide and then went back to work in the NHS in Wales. I thought I could bring back some of the positives and techniques I’d learnt in Australia to the UK. But there was resistance from administrators, and the focus was on merely keeping our heads above water, rather than introducing newfangled systems and processes from the colonies.”

kimbers

and the focus was on merely keeping our heads above water

the size and scale of the top down reorganisation and cuts forced on the NHS this is hardly surprising

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I thought I could bring back some of the positives and techniques I’d learnt in Australia to the UK

Pitty it doesn’t actually state what they are. Our Trust is actively looking for changes that can improve patient experience/save money.

Unfortunately a lot of the government policies/financial constraints we are now under prevent us from doing anything that would add value.

just5minutes
    Free Member

the size and scale of the top down reorganisation and cuts forced on the NHS this is hardly surprising

Equally you could say that the failure of the NHS to reform itself over many decades is precisely the reason that a “top down” change is now being prescribed – it’s finally reached a demographic tipping point where it must now change, or fail ..and at scale. And surely that’s not what anyone wants.

If we take a system view, Primary Care has been broken for a decade or more because the bulk of the funding still goes on maintaining a footprint of hospitals that was designed on a reasonably arbitrary basis back in the 1940s / 50s.

The view of what Primary Care should / shouldn’t also hasn’t really evolved in 3 decades despite the many advances in diagnostics and treatment – so we still have many thousands of single handed GP practices running even though we know they are significantly more likely to lead to poor care / outcomes.

The country has changed immeasurably since the NHS was originally conceived but the system has barely changed and continues to operate the pointless delineations between primary and secondary care that many other health systems have long since moved on from.

We now have one of the most obese and unhealthy societies in the western world and yet the NHS operating model is still focused on treating sickness not maintaining wellness. We’re on track to spend 10% of the entire NHS budget on type 2 diabetes / comorbidities but we’re still debating whether it’s ok for GPs to tell obese patients they must lose weight.

kimbers

We now have one of the most obese and unhealthy societies in the western world and yet the NHS operating model is still focused on treating sickness not maintaining wellness.

Indeed , however public health is now the responsibility of Local Councils
    https://www.theguardian.com/local-government-network/2013/apr/18/council-public-health-responsibilities

who have also seen huge cuts to funding…..

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We now have one of the most obese and unhealthy societies in the western world and yet the NHS operating model is still focused on treating sickness not maintaining wellness.

This quote aside, you are good at following the government sound bites, in fact are you Jeremy Hunt?

Massive amounts of work has been done trying to try and get healthier lifestyles and prevent the onset obesity/diabetes etc. Unfortunately the fact is, people like eating kebabs, drinking, smoking,and eating sugar etc. Oh and riding mountain bikes – (a big user of acute care.)

the system has barely changed and continues to operate the pointless delineations between primary and secondary care that many other health systems have long since moved on from.

Again massive amounts of work has been done to try and resolve this. The fact is that there isn’t enough money in the whole system ie Acute Care, Primary Care, Public Health, Social Care. This magical government view of we can take funding from Acute care to social/care closer to home is bollox. There is simply too much activity that requires acute care to take that funding out.

Oh Google Vanguard. The government promised millions of extra cash to support making changes to the whole Acute Care, Primary Care, Public Health, Social Care system, and work has been done to get it all in place, only now for the government to revoke the funding.

Again I can see how you could potentially, maybe, somehow think it is the workers fault and not government policy 🙄

kimbers

The government have also failed repeatedly to legislate against unhealthy foods and lig=festyles

obesity cost and kills more than smoking yet the government have rolled over to industry lobbying on minimum alcohol pricing, traffic light labeling for food etc

lets be honest tho theres one massive reason for the surge in jr doctors heading to Australia the last 2 years

According to a colleague who did just that he said that while they are clamping down on docs at jr level, because 4 years ago they doubled the intake at medical school by subsidising tuition fees, that has yet to filter through so there is still a big shortage at consultant level, when is Hunt planning to change their contracts?

just5minutes
    Free Member

Massive amounts of work has been done trying to try and get healthier lifestyles and prevent the onset obesity/diabetes etc. Unfortunately the fact is, people like eating kebabs, drinking, smoking,and eating sugar etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/oct/24/gps-should-not-worry-about-offending-obese-patients-finds-study

pondo

From that Grauniad link – “Doctors are notoriously nervous of telling people they are overweight..” Seriously? Don’t know if I’ve ever met a doctor who has displayed any kind of anxiety about calling a spade a spade.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Kimbers. He’s wrong. 6300 entrants in 2004. Not much increase since. JH is talking about going up to 7500.

kimbers

stoatsbrother

that was in Australia, not here, my ex-colleague moved out to sydney this summer

tjagain

Just 5 mins – in my 30 odd years of working in the NHS I have lost count of the number of reforms and reorganisations that have been done all politically motivated and all making things worse

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Simple solution – keep governments out of the bloody way

cranberry
    Free Member

Junior doctors have lifted all threat of strike action and pledged to work with the Government to help introduce a controversial new contract.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/10/junior-doctors-lift-strike-threat-and-pledge-to-work-with-govern/

Viewing 15 posts - 1,721 through 1,735 (of 1,735 total)

The topic ‘doctors on strike’ is closed to new replies.