• This topic has 156 replies, 121 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)
  • Do you ride from home?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

How many of you MTB from home, and if so roughly what percentage of your rides are from home as opposed to driving somewhere?

For me it’s about 90% from home.

rene59
    Free Member

0% from home.

Beagleboy

Don’t drive, so I’d guess 99% of mine start from home!

ads678

I ride from home, but the ridings not great, so if I want good riding I drive to it.

Probably 75% from home.

kelron
    Free Member

50% I suppose. Going from home means I can ride more, driving means I can ride somewhere more fun.

peteimpreza

99.99% from home.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh and can you please say what area you live in?

90% from home in South Wales.

perchypanther
    Free Member

What if you need to drive to your other home?

Does that still count?

85% from home – Clyde Valley mostly
    10% from caravan – River Annan

Simon

80% from home.

milky1980
    Free Member

Ride the gravel bike from home as it’s my commuter and occasional wandering bike.

No MTB from home as I’m the wrong side of town for it and it creates too much hassle washing the bike afterwards. Living in a flat means the bike has to be clean when it comes in and washing it outside after a ride means leaving it for a minute or so unattended with nothing to lock it to so if I do go riding locally I’ll drive across town and park next to the Taff Trail then ride from there. Means I can wash it when I get back to the car (Mobi washer is a godsend!) then it’s straight off the car rack into the flat when I get home.

When I next move, either to my own place or rented, riding from the door will be a must!

psycorp
    Free Member

Probably about 80% from home. North Worcestershire.

40mpg

85% from home. New Forest.

ebennett

Bout 5% – NW Manchester. Only really do it when I’m pushed for time or feeling a bit tired, it’s an ok ride but it’s massive overkill having a 160 full sus on it! Good justification for n+1 I suppose, but haven’t worked up to it yet as there’s no space for another bike in the house and the shed is flimsy as a flimsy thing. That new Cotic Bfe does look very nice though…

simondbarnes

99% from home. Just north of Manchester.

perchypanther
    Free Member

No MTB from home as I’m the wrong side of town for it and it creates too much hassle washing the bike afterwards. Living in a flat means the bike has to be clean when it comes in and washing it outside after a ride means leaving it for a minute or so unattended with nothing to lock it to so if I do go riding locally I’ll drive across town and park next to the Taff Trail then ride from there. Means I can wash it when I get back to the car (Mobi washer is a godsend!) then it’s straight off the car rack into the flat when I get home.

Couldn’t you leave the mobi washer in your car outside your flat and ride from home and then wash it outside your flat next to your car?

samtheman
    Free Member

Live at the foot of the West Pennine Moors, so some great riding from my doorstep. Convenient, but still doesn’t stop me racking up the miles in the car to ride elsewhere

trailwagger
    Free Member

0% from home – Herefordshire

edit- for a rural county we have surprisingly few bridalways

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

All my recreational rides start from home.

If I’m going to the South Downs to do a handful of cat3/4 hills, I treat the ~11-13 mile (depending upon where I’m heading initially, these days I often like to start with the “River to hilltop” segment near Soberton) journey out there as a gradual ~40+min warm-up from Bitterne on the east side of Southampton.

lucky7500

In terms of total number of rides, around 60 – 70% from home, but in terms of time / distance most probably equal or slight majority away from home. I’m in the Scottish Borders.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

100% I live in the Peak District.

davosaurusrex

Sussex coast, 95% from home. Out of the drive, pull a super-sweet wheelie 100m to the end of the road,cross the A27 and I’m shredding the gnar! (By shredding the gnar I mean bridleway slogging 45 minutes to the decent trails but still, mustn’t grumble).

scruff
    Free Member

97.5 from home, 10 minutes ride from Cannock Chase. Young kids mean don’t have the time to travel and ride which is usually a day out.

I can’t find the percentage sign on my phone.

rOcKeTdOg

97% from home, 1/4 mile to off road, 2 miles to decent off road

mogrim

99% from home, both road and mtb. The other 1% is an occasional sportive somewhere else. I live in a small town at the bottom of the mountains to the west of Madrid.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Approaching zero % of MTB rides are from the door for me.
    Nightrides typically a half hour drive.
    Out for the day usually involves an hour’s drive to South/mid Lakes or Calderdale, or an hour and a half-ish to North Lakes.

Only ever ride from home if it’s for the exercise, rather than the enjoyment as there’s little ‘tech’ on the doorstep but the big hills are close enough in the car.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Probably 50% of my rides are from the front door – lucky the woods are 10 mins from my house 🙂

prawny

99.9% from home, 0.1% is when I’m on holiday near somewhere with decent but easy to navigate riding, or that day I took my bike to the pump track.

I live on the edge of cannock chase, 20 mins off road ride from the start of the trails, 6 minutes from Marquis Drive, 5 mins along the main road from the nearest decent off piste stuff. If I do the main trails I’m off road in less than 2 minutes.

neil_1979
    Free Member

Mtb rides are probably 95% from home but mainly consist of weekly local night rides. Road probably 90% from home with rest being trips away and crits in summer, CX almost always chucked in the car to drive to Local cx league races.

chvck
    Free Member

I think probably ~50-75% toward the 75 end possibly. Live in mid Wales, near Nant-y-arian. Trails tend to be quite long and rocky so there don’t tend to be a lot of them in a small area (we did have a woods packed full of trails but it got felled 🙁 ) so sometimes I get a bit bored and drive a bit further afield.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

95% (Hobart TAS) at the moment but nowhere near the variety I used to get from a 30min drive in other places. 50/50 would be a good split unless you had the variety of somewhere like the Lakes/Peak on your doorstep

Rubber_Buccaneer

Sussex downs. 75% from home. It would be more but most weeks I ride with friends who are more Brighton way so I drive to the start.

matt_outandabout

50-60% I would say

ads678

I ride from home, but the ridings not great, so if I want good riding I drive to it.

Probably 75% from home

I live on the flat side of Leeds btw…I even have to drive to a bmx track!!

wors

Pretty much all the time. In Bolton so right on the edge of the moors.

Only time I haven’t this year is if I have been away for the weekend for the purpose of biking (twice this year)

chiefgrooveguru

95% from home. Brighton. 10 minutes to the nearest singletrack!

ferrals
    Free Member

Excluding races, 80% from home. Another 10% of the driving i could easily ride to the venues from home in about 20 minutes but choose not too out of laziness

lunge

West Midlands, 99% from home, no interest in getting a bike in the car to go for a bike ride, no interest at all. The bikes I own work for the terrain local to me, no mountains so no 160mm bike.
    I reckon once a year I will get the train to Cannock but every time I do I regret the time travelling when I could be riding my bike.

Paul-B

Stafford, around 80% from home. Live about 25 mins ride down the canal to the nearest entry point of Cannock Chase. Sometimes I’ll drive if I’m passing on my way home from work. Rest of my riding is more likely in South Wales while visiting family so have to use the car then.

kilo

Zero from home, South west London, if I’m riding from home I’ll use the cx bike.

colournoise

80% from home. Only 5 minutes ride from the local woods. Flat and short trails, but enough off-piste to keep things interesting.

East Northants.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘Do you ride from home?’ is closed to new replies.