• This topic has 156 replies, 121 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)
  • Do you ride from home?
  • mildbore

I live in north Notts with bridleways a quarter of a mile from my door so usually in the week I’ll ride a couple of times locally then at the weekend I’ll drive to the Peak, so 66%-33%

drewd

90% from home. The local riding isn’t great but neither am I. The faff of loading the bike into the car and unloading/cleaning a muddy bike with on street parking and no outside storage means I prefer to just hop on the bike and go.

In Lancs, outside Preston.

ssboggy

Probably about 50% 2 miles to off road and another couple to decent off road, I live not too many miles from the south end of the Peak district

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

95% from home. I live 2 minutes from local woods and Bridleways for further afield loops.

jam-bo

95% from home, edge of dartmoor. I wouldn’t live somewhere without good local riding.

jimw
    Free Member

In the past 12 months, close to 100%, both road and MTB
    But I am lucky to be within the part of Herefordshire/Worcestershire border that has plenty of bridleways within a few hundred metres of where I live

fifeandy
    Free Member

95%+ from the door.
    Its generally more gravel bike territory than proper MTB, but it’s what i’ve got available, and its quite a drive to anything much better.

Marko

97% from home, 1/4 mile to off road, 2 miles to decent off road

Single track turn left 50 metres, turn right 100 metres to trail fairy single track. 230 metre descent to the river Wye. No tarmac involved at all.

What do I win?
    😆

Yetiman
    Free Member

I count myself quite lucky as I live on the edge of some hills which are littered with fantastic trails, so the majority of my riding starts and finishes from the house, with ride times ranging from 90 minutes to 3 hours.

I’ve now also got an opportunity to ride another hill during the week with some great loops on it, as my work has just moved to a different town and this hill is pretty much at the halfway point of my commute.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

MTB – 75%. The woods are 5 mins away. Sometimes drive over to Hope (or train!) or drive to Greno/Wharncliffe. Then there’s away weekends in Lakes/Wales/Scotland etc.

Road 100%.

twojumpers

99% very lucky to be 100m from the South Downs National Park and 10 minute ride over to Stanmer Park in Brighton. I only have to drive if I’m going to some sort of event.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

If i’m riding on my own, or with the other half, it’s almost 100% from home. As we have trails starting on the edge of our property which either carry on north into the local trail network (maintained). If we go south or east we are into unmaintained (but completely deserted) trails. To the east there are large chunks where i’ll only see our tyre tracks and wild animal prints from one month to the next. Quite a few people follow the trail south though, as it runs parallel to the coast.
    Can only ride a little way west as the sea is in the way, but even have some nice trails between us and the coast. (Mostly rock strewn and near vertical…..)

If we ride with others it’s probably 50/50 we either drop down into town (usually via the trails) or drive elsewhere.

Most annoying is driving somewhere and then ending up in the back garden half way round a ride. 🙁

Road is much the same. Except we go out the front door, not the back door.

Splash-man
    Free Member

Sussex coast, 95% from home. Out of the drive, pull a super-sweet wheelie 100m to the end of the road,cross the A27 and I’m shredding the gnar! (By shredding the gnar I mean bridleway slogging 45 minutes to the decent trails but still, mustn’t grumble).

^^^^^^^^^^^The same for me.

scotroutes

Almost everything now. I used to drive to ride a lot more when I lived in Edinburgh but with so much excellent riding around the Aviemore area I’ve become very lazy/adept at maximising my riding time.

My rule of total driving time < riding time generally applies though.

lowey

50% from home roughly.

West Pennine Moors.

poah
    Free Member

hardly ever

richardkennerley

0% mtb from home, I live in Blackpool.

Occasional road ride from home but I don’t really enjoy that, it’s just for exercise.

drewd – Member
    90% from home. The local riding isn’t great but neither am I. The faff of loading the bike into the car and unloading/cleaning a muddy bike with on street parking and no outside storage means I prefer to just hop on the bike and go.

In Lancs, outside Preston.

Would be interested to know where you live/ride to add a bit of variety to my more local options!

jimmy

roughly 50/50

Work/home (Pentlands) vs Drive (Tweed Valley)

smiththemainman
    Free Member

90 % of late as i’m Lone wolfing at the mo, taking a newbie up the Lakes Saturday so it’s back to the faff of remembering everything and driving to start point!!

weeksy

95%+ from home

trailwagger
    Free Member

In the past 12 months, close to 100%, both road and MTB
    But I am lucky to be within the part of Herefordshire/Worcestershire border that has plenty of bridleways within a few hundred metres of where I live

Very lucky. I live in Hereford and there are no bridalways of any use anywhere!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Probably about 10-20% from home, Love a bit of trail variety. Even if I lived in the Tweed valley, Lakes, wherever, I’d still drive to places, get bored riding the same stuff, it’s like being a club golfer… 😉

rickonwheels
    Free Member

99% from home. Lucky enough to live a 15 min ride to the Bristol Ashton Court/ Leigh Woods trails.

This was fundamental to me getting (back) into MTBing in the first place – not sure I would have had the motivation if I had to load up the car and drive every time, although I do love to ride bigger, better trails from time to time 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

97.4%

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

get bored riding the same stuff

I’ve been in this house 15 years and still finding new and different trails within 10 km of home. Just a matter of heading in different directions.

Found an abandoned quarry a couple of weeks ago. Not even on the definitive map. So must have been off the radar for ~50 years. Probably abandoned for nearer twice that. Brilliant for a bit of technical riding.

doom_mountain

Fortunately I live in the lakes, so 90% of my rides are from the door. They do often involve the chain ferry accross Windermere, is that cheating?

I do enjoy sticking bike in the van for a trip to Scotland, Wales or even north lakes.

mcnultycop

Probably 30% of rides from my front door
    20% from the front door of place I stay for work during the week
    50% involve a drive.

I live in Oldham area.

christhetall
    Free Member

80% from home (Sheffield)
    15% from wherever I’m staying on holiday
    3% put bike on car and drive somewhere
    2% stop on way back from visiting parents

A few road rides from home end up with me getting a train back, and I can highly recommend the micro pub on Worksop station as a good place to wait for a train !

TheDTs
    Free Member

Bristol, 98% from the door.
    15 mins ride from Ashton Court / Leigh Woods.
    Closer to cheeky trails.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

90% from home, first and last two minutes are on tarmac, the rest is off road. Sarf Downs

nickc

About 90% live in Heptonstall on a locally well know descent. But doesn’t stop me driving to have a go at something different.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

get bored riding the same stuff

I’ve been in this house 15 years and still finding new and different trails within 10 km of home. Just a matter of heading in different directions.

Found an abandoned quarry a couple of weeks ago. Not even on the definitive map. So must have been off the radar for ~50 years. Probably abandoned for nearer twice that. Brilliant for a bit of technical riding.

joemmo
    Free Member

60% from home – decent bridleway network for drop bar off-roading and a little bit of local woodland for short blasts. More a matter of time and access than desire, there’s much better riding within a 45-90 min drive but harder to fit around family life.

136stu
    Free Member

99% from home – South Pennines (Littleborough). Always intending to go further afield but need to find a similarly slow buddy/group to ride with.

hardtailonly

North Leeds.

Loads of options just out of the door.

Small kids, so 99% of riding is from home, usually once or twice a week on the MTB, and most days commuting (but usually taking in some easier trails) on the CX bike.

Get a few MTB rides further afield – Calderdale, Peaks, North York Moors as a half-day / summer evening trip, and then 2-3 weekends away to North Wales, Lakes etc.

ndthornton
    Free Member

50% from work (Malvern)
    Another 20% of the time I will also ride the 8 road miles from my house first.
    The Riding is fantastic but Id miss out on – well – the whole of the rest of the planet if I never got in the car

ndthornton
    Free Member

…and 99% is definitely over represented in this data set. Sort it out please!!

BadlyWiredDog

Yes. Pretty much all of my rides are out the front/back door and into the Peak. Driving time is riding time wasted.

woody2000

96.3278% for me 🙂

Calderdale/Kirklees border

zippykona

75% Epsom.
    2 minutes to the dirt from my front door.
    Edit, my commute is off road so make that 99.9%

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘Do you ride from home?’ is closed to new replies.