Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Do you remember your first
  • try5
    Free Member

It’s 23 years ago this week that I bought my first ever mountain bike.
    It was a 1987 19″ fire engine red Specialized Hardrock with a Dia-compe U-brake on the back. Rad! Suntour thumbshifters and I put a pair of Panaracer Blocktread tyres on it.
    mmm

Wookster

SARACEN Rufftrax blue no sus loved it!!!

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Ahhh. Nostalgia – it’s not as good as nostalgia was when I was younger…

floyd_england
    Free Member

1989…. ’89 GT Tequesta

Still have it, the only original parts are the frame, rear U brake and lever…

Was ridden in some nice wooded singletrack this very morning….

santacrews
    Free Member

Ah i remember it like it was yesterday !

1988 RIDGEBACK ?? It was Blue & Yellow from Freewheel on west St in Sheffield.

They were the days !

superfli
    Free Member

1988 Giant Sierra. It must have been one of the 1st bikes with a hyperglide rear cassette, smooth shifter 🙂
    Rode it on the South Downs and QE park (long before the trails were there)+Butser regularly

Teetosugars
    Free Member

1986 Dawes Tracker.

Green & White Reynolds 501 Tubing

18 Exage Country Gears, complete with Biopace Chainrings..

All this in a 21″ frame, that I never managed to ” Grow into”..

Rorschach
    Free Member

Giant coldrock 21″ with exage400….1987.

iolo
    Free Member

1990 Giant Escape,

zangolin
    Free Member

25 + a bit years ago purchased a Saracen Conquest from Steve Wild at Summit Cycles in Blackburn. Them was the days when walkers jaws would drop when you cycled past them up Snowdon or the Garburn Pass in the Lakes.

marty
    Free Member

1989 Giant Stonebreaker.

This isn’t it though.

Blower
    Free Member

1989 falcon californian 🙂

radoggair
    Free Member

1990 apollo kilimanjaro – 21 speed LX, green and pink frame followed closely by a 1991/92 Ridgeback 706RS, complete with full XT groupset and RS3 adjustable air forks with 48mm travel. Beautiful bike in black, wish i could find a picture somewhere of it

russjp
    Free Member

1992 Raleigh Apex

amplebrew

Mine was a 1991 Saracen Sahara which unfortunately got stolen after 6 months 🙁

I then got a Marin Bear Valley se, which was probably the bike which really got me into mountain biking.

The Marin was the bike that got me to start racing and going out further afield with the Liverpool Mountain Bike Club rather than just riding around my local area.

el_boufador

1990 giant hurricane

Oggles
    Free Member

1999? Schwinn Mesa, bought from Bicycles, Inc. in Fort Worth TX!

It must have been the smallest one they did as I was only 11, but I still have it as a singlespeed chuckabout play bike.

mtbfix

My first mountain bike ride was on a mate’s Townsend on some rough ground behind his house. My first was a Raleigh Maverick (circa 1988) bought for me 2nd hand by my parents. First I bought for myself was a blue Saracen Tufftrax of the 1990(?) vintage. Happy days…

kerv
    Free Member

1990 Muddy Fox Courier Comp.

ross980
    Free Member

Townsend Hedgehopper, replaced with a Raleigh Activator (oh dear). First ‘proper’ mountain bike was a dark grey rigid Alu ’98 Trek… erm… 4500 or 6000 can’t remember exactly. Full STX-RC. 21 speed. V brakes. It was mint. Donated it to a bike charity place a couple of years ago – a decision I’ve regretted ever since 😥

valleydaddy
    Free Member

This was my first in field gate size 21″

I even had this on it – brilliant

Sandwich

1996 a silver C16-R still in use as a hack bike.

tinribz
    Free Member

Some second hand Dawes thing that weighed a ton and left my wrists feeling like I’d just been digging up the road. Got half-inched when the Mrs put the bins out and left the back gate unlocked.

This is what I thought I was buying in to;

Don’t think I actualy went off-road till it all went alu late 90s?
    And Saracens actually made it affordable. Was light but still no suspension.

Marmoset
    Free Member

First proper one was 1990 GT Karakoram, loved it to bits for all of 4 months before some tea leaf had it from my garage – been paranoid about bike theft ever since…..

PTR
    Free Member

Mine was an ’88 Diamondback Ascent, it even got ridden in the Alps around Chamonix, you really needed those 4 finger brake levers!

cheers_drive

1992 GT Pantera soon stolen and replaced by a Caloi which by brother now has:
    [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjohnson76/3298190236/]DSC04612[/url] by Cheers Drive, on Flickr

mmb
    Free Member

1985 raliegh maverick fully rigid brown and tan £150 utter crap took all of 6 weeks to break it and my dad went nuts even tho i paid for it!.

santacrews
    Free Member

PTR, was it the pantera in bright orange per chance !

Simon

A new ’96 GT Timberline which I bought in ’97. Steel frame (painted titanium coloured), rigid forks and V brakes. Up-graded the forks to Marzocchi Z3s in 2001.
    Rode it on and off until 2005 when I started riding a lot more and bought a Marin Rocky Ridge.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

1991 e-stay Alpinestars cro-mega DX. Sold it this year.

mcobie
    Free Member

1995 Kona Koa; don’t have any pics though 🙁

Still wish I’d never sold it (swapped for a Kona Stab) 🙄

incognito
    Free Member

2000 spesh hardrock a1 comp fs with rs jetts

ThePilot
    Free Member

GT Karakorum, 1996. Came back from travelling in Australia where I’d done some mtb and decided I wanted a mtb bike. Bought it second-hand from a guy in the Welsh valleys who’d advertised it in a mtb magazine. It’s downstairs as I type. Takes me to the supermarket now and occasionally ventures to the gym. I still love it. I’d be heartbroken if it got nicked.

matt_outandabout

1992 Emmelle something or other in Pink Smoke paint job. Nicked after two weeks. Replaced with an Al Carter Sacremento which saw many years use…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

This was my first Pentlands ride on my new 85 Specialized Rockhopper. Green Cleugh endo, long before paths were built there.

Mackem

1991 Giant Coldrock – rememer feeling rad when I upgraded the rear mech to a 400DX.

PTR
    Free Member

followed up by a ’93 Cindercone, which I still have and still ride, upgraded to v-brakes but still with P2s, and still fun, but sometimes a bit painful….

PTR
    Free Member

Wow, Mcmoonter, are those bullmoose bars, they should be due a comeback by now

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Wow, Mcmoonter, are those bullmoose bars, they should be due a comeback by now

They were especially good for picking up art students in a Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid stylee

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP IIRC hardrocks did not exist in 87, i think you mean 88. Specialized did the Streetstomper in 87.

I remember because I text rode one and bought a Tufftrax instead, in about 2 weeks’ time in 87.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Do you remember your first’ is closed to new replies.