Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 156 total)
  • Do you give money to beggars?
  • jaffejoffer
    Free Member

remember a big issue seller asked me to buy a copy of his magazine in covent garden, i said ‘nah, im alright thanks’ he replied, ‘well im not or i wouldnt be selling this shit’ which i thought was a most excellent retort, so bought one!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I don’t often give money, It’s a rare day that i see a beggar and also have change on me.

When I used to have a crappy job working in duty free I was able to take a big bag of sandwiches, pastries, cakes and the like at the end of each shift and give them to the local tramp who slept near where the bus back from the airport stopped. it wasn’t the most nutritious stuff in the world but at least for those days he wouldn’t be hungry. We’d often have a bit of a chat too, nothing deep just passing the time of day (it was normally about 11:45).

The people that just don’t G.A.S. Do you have any sympathy, empathy or compassion for other types of misfortune that befalls people or are you entirely devoid of these sorts of emotions?

chewkw
    Free Member

In a good mood, if I give money to anyone (regardless of whether they are poor or rich) they can do whatever they like with the money. None of my business how the person(s) spend it.

In a bad mood, I will not give even a penny to anyone even if they are starving.

Simple.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4mGv55XchN8[/video]

Salt lake city homeless given homes.

iolo
    Free Member

When I got sick I lost my partner, house, job, money, everything.
    Without my sisters help I have no doubt that I would have ended up homeless.
    Now I’m a bit better I donate monthly to Shelter and buy the occasional sandwich/coffee to anyone who looks like they could do with it.
    Nobody chooses to be homeless, especially this time of year.

DavidB
    Free Member

I don’t mind giving money to professional beggars, at least they are working.

chewkw
    Free Member

iolo – Member

When I got sick I lost my partner, house, job, money, everything.
    Without my sisters help I have no doubt that I would have ended up homeless.

Now I’m a bit better I donate monthly to Shelter and buy the occasional sandwich/coffee to anyone who looks like they could do with it.

You should be helping out your sisters in return even if they are well off as others have nothing to do in helping you when you were in need.

ton

i got in trouble when younger, someone gave me a chance, i have never looked back because i buckled down and made a good life.
    my wife works for the housing department of leeds council, she has done for 27yrs. i am not saying everyone, there are always exceptions, but to become homeless in the uk is pretty hard to do.
    if you have children, you will get housed, it may be in a hostel, if you are a single man, who only see’s his children on a weekend, you will get housed, i know this from personal experience.
    people with a lot of debt to councils do not just kicked out onto the street, and by the time they become homeless, this is at the end of a very prolonged process.
    what i am saying, is a lot of the people living on the streets needn’t be.

Marin
    Free Member

Sometimes.
    Do I mind in they spend it on brew or heroin?
    No. If my life and upbringing were so broken I slept in a doorway I’d want to be smashed enough to cancel it all out.

BoardinBob

what i am saying, is a lot of the people living on the streets needn’t be.

Absolutely correct

However, for many reasons people find themselves in a downward spiral for many possible reasons. They may receive lots of help but they continue on that spiral. After time they’re unable to function as part of society. Someone mentioned it above but no one chooses to be homeless
    It can happen through a few simple choices or incidents.

allthepies
    Free Member

Don’t forget the person to person eye contact as you hand over the moolah.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

but to become homeless in the uk is pretty hard to do.

Mmmm. Phhhh.
    Yeah, I get what you’re saying. You’re right of course, but it depends on what you want to happen and what yo’ve got the balls/not got the balls* to do.
    Many years ago I was in a dark place, mentally. It was my own fault. And when I had to move out of the shared house I was in, I couldn’t face living with other people. I wasn’t ‘homeless’ as such, as I had a camper van to live in, and I held onto my job somehow. I didn’t live in a house for around 8-9 months.
    But I can see how it happens, put it that way. I understand the mentality of just going home one day and deciding to not open the door, and just turn away and live on the streets. It could be easier, in a way…..

For me, it worked. Thinking about it I sort of rebooted my life, if you like. I walked away from a whole group of ‘friends’ and never saw or spoke to them again. Whilst I was living in my Van I bought a BMX, met some BMXers and started over. All these people are still my friends, and in the long run it led me to my wife, my house and working now in the bike industry. I don’t regret it. When I look back, that wasn’t me for a while, I wasn’t right, I was trying too hard. Now I’m chilled. I know how bad it was for a while and my future isn’t like that anymore…

*could be either, depending on which way you look at it.

chewkw
    Free Member

allthepies – Member

Don’t forget the person to person eye contact as you hand over the moolah.

That pic says a lot about that person being sooo tight fisted when it comes to his own money. Something to do with his upbringing perhaps?

However, he is so willing to spend the public money like no tomorrow …

😆

jambourgie
    Free Member

Yeah sure, all the time if I’ve got it, but then I’m often broke. If a man has resorted to begging in order to feed himself/buy booze/smokes/get a train ticket whatever then he’s in a worse situation than me. If you believe all that guff about homeless people having Rolls Royce’s parked on their drive then you’re an idiot.

mefty
    Free Member

No because I have been duped before. However, we buy and cook, well my wife does, food probably every month for the lunches our local church provides to the homeless.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Interesting thread. So… it sounds like some beggars are genuine, but some are chancers.
    Some are decent types who have got into difficulties; but some of them are just useless arseholes.
    Funny – in some ways they’re almost like people aren’t they?
    🙄

luke
    Free Member

I will admit I don’t give to beggars.
    I do work part time for a charity in the homeless sector, and also help out when I can with a local soup kitchen admittedly it isn’t that often, but every little helps, also each Christmas I go to London and help at Crisis.

bearnecessities

Congratulations Mr Woppit with a valuable contribution again, for starting a unpleasant and divisive topic. Bravo and also congratulations on a witty OP.

That aside, homelessness is not a choice.

Anyone that thinks that, will either be looking down on these people, conveyed either in their behaviours or opinions as posted, or just simply thought.

On a different day these same people may well be moaning about the bike industry creating new standards to take their money off them.

There are many, many, many scenarios that can result in homelessness and it is an is extremely unpleasant, scary and dangerous situation.

Whether to buy a Stockton 5, or Firefox woodburner, is not. That is a choice.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I don’t give money to beggars. I do help out several different people on the streets every week, from a cup of coffee to a jacket or some gloves or a meal deal.

That’s not from a prejudiced position believing any donated cash will be spent on drink and drugs, rather I have no inclination to give money to those who ask. Often, begging is carried out by aggressive , intimidating people leaving the quiet, reclusive folk wanting.

I can’t spare my change. But I can spare my time.

iolo
    Free Member

You should be helping out your sisters in return even if they are well off as others have nothing to do in helping you when you were in nee

What makes you think I dont?

chewkw
    Free Member

iolo – Member

You should be helping out your sisters in return even if they are well off as others have nothing to do in helping you when you were in nee

What makes you think I dont?

The way you posted on the thread.

You should at least mention them (sisters) too otherwise others (in this case me) might read it differently.

Yes, good on you for helping out everyone in your case.

😀

piha
    Free Member

I haven’t read the above.

Yes, absolutely. I would and do give money to homeless folks. Some of the homeless people you see on the streets are utterly dependent on alcohol or drugs. In some cases they can’t give up drink as to do so would damage their already fragile health. For some alcohol comes before food and they haven’t chosen this as a lifestyle. It’s tragic to see people reduced to this level and if a couple of quid makes their life a bit more bearable then I’m happy to give to them.

I wouldn’t expect anyone else to give a homeless person money as it’s a personal decision.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I do appreciate inventive begging, though.

Signs like “I’m crowdfunding my addiction” and
    “I don’t get paid to sit here all day looking **** miserable…”.

Seems that only happens in London though.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I never see any beggars except when I go on holiday to Goa, & even then there’s not that many. The only homeless guy I help out is a disabled lad who sells newspapers on the beach there.

Would you employ them

there’s a lot of ex cons I’d employ, & I’ve met lots of cons. It would depend on the nature of work of course but some prisoners are bloody good workers!
    The council refused to rehome an ex tenant of mine , because as far as they were concerned he ‘intentionally made himself homeless’ (by claiming housing benefits but not paying me) He’s in a house now though, not working, claiming christ knows what & looking after 2 Alsatians, an African Grey parrot, an XBox & 20 Bensons a day. Never mind, he only owes me 3K (court order). Not that I’m pissed off or owt. 👿
    I know this because he says stuff on FB.

seosamh77
    Free Member

10 – Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mGv55XchN8

Salt lake city homeless given homes.that was good. 🙂

duckman

My Mum and Dad run a night caff for the homeless in Dundee (Meadowside St Pauls for any locals) They can’t get into the shelters until late,one thing is very clear,being homeless and begging is neither enjoyable or a lifestyle choice.

rascal
    Free Member

I’ve never give them money – god knows what they’d spend it on (sweeping generalisation I know).

I quite often used to buy a sandwich/crisps/sausage roll to a near-to-work Big Issue seller.
    He was always very grateful and I’d like to think I made his day a bit better.

wilburt
    Free Member

I gave a few quid to a busker as a treat to me on my birthday. He replied with a cheery “thank you guv’nor” and a spirited rendition of you are my sunshine on a his ukulele.

Karma Bargain!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Said it before: Shelter don’t help rough sleepers. They do valuable work but not with rough sleepers. Before you go lording it over the dispossessed with your £2 a month just make sure your ‘sancti-money’* is properly allocated.

* Just made that up, quite chuffed.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Oh and if you’re worried about giving money to a professional beggar get yourself in a phone box in the sleazy end of town and order yourself a £10 prostitute/rent boy. They’ll be the real deal. And thy’re even preapared to work for their money.

For context, used to work in the homeless offenders unit in manchester and I can tell you ‘get a job’ merchants that you clearly don’t have the first **** idea what you’re on about.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yes.. As someone who very nearly ended up on the streets after leaving the Army, then I’ll help in anyway I can..
    WGAS what they spend it on, if it offers them some bit of comfort, then, well who am I to judge.

DavidB
    Free Member

Also, it makes you feel ace when you give a bit. Certainly cheers me up.

dan129
    Free Member

Boxing Day Tottenham Court Road a guy was begging outside boots, I pulled all my change out of my pocket probably about a £2 in 5’s 10’s 20’s I gave it to him and said sorry it was all the change I had, he then scooped it all up told me to **** off and threw the whole lot back at me.

crankboy
    Free Member

In Leeds we have st Georges crypt . it is the crypt of a church . it is well organised now but essentially every evening they open up feed the homeless and give them a bed for the night they can also get health checks a shower etc every morning they turf them out.
    It is a real life line. They accept donations including food (we dumped our left over wedding buffet on them at midnight with no problems) they also collect in supermarkets by asking you to just buy an extra item to give on the way out. I side with the idea of direct giving to the homeless but if you want to be sure your gift goes on immediate good not smack or a third sector wage then a volunteer run charity on the front line is a good target for your cash.
    So St Georges Crypt Leeds Google it and donate or find your local equivalent.

ononeorange

No but will go and get them some food or coffee or whatever if there’s a handy shop nearby.

Edric64
    Free Member

My girlfriend told me that an old guy was sleeping rough in a doorway opposite her house last night and she heated up a ready meal for him .This is in the middle of Fordingbridge which isnt awash with deprivation.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Congratulations Mr Woppit with a valuable contribution again, for starting a unpleasant and divisive topic. Bravo and also congratulations on a witty OP.

I’ll assume that’s a compliment, seeing as you decided to join in…

Seems popular, anyway.

zilog6128

A friend who worked for a local charity that rehabilitates the homeless (finds them beds, jobs, etc and tries to re-integrate them into society) says the hardest part is breaking the drug/alcohol dependancy and that his job would be a lot easier without well-meaning people giving them money to buy booze/drugs!

piha
    Free Member

Zilog6128

A friend who worked for a local charity that rehabilitates the homeless (finds them beds, jobs, etc and tries to re-integrate them into society) says the hardest part is breaking the drug/alcohol dependancy and that his job would be a lot easier without well-meaning people giving them money to buy booze/drugs!

Fair play to your friend.

For some homeless people booze/drugs is the most important thing in their lives, these are people right on the edge of society and require a lot of input to help break the cycle of alcohol/drug dependency. Ultimately the individual needs to take the first steps to breaking the cycle. They will find the means of funding their habits regardless of whether they get a few quid from passing strangers or not. If they don’t have money for drink/drugs it doesn’t stop them from getting hold of drinks/drugs. Their situation is often compounded by mental health issues as well as poor physical health, poor decision making, verbal & physical abuse, lack of mainstream education and the list goes on.

Luke – good on you for helping out at Crisis, what centre were you based in?

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

theres a bloke in Bury town center who begs outside M&S. he gets a taxi to and from his house every morning and night!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Do you give money to beggars?’ is closed to new replies.