Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Do you feel unsafe on "the streets "
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I briefly caught the start of some Jeremy kyle shite that’s about to start. It’s so unsafe apparently!

DezB
    Free Member

No. Never have done.

jam-bo

Only when those pesky cyclists ride past.

deviant
    Free Member

Nope, people are flesh and bone just like me….which means they can be hurt just like me.

I find that has always served me well.

tommid
    Free Member

I live in rural Norfolk, I am the scariest thing on the streets. My greatest fear is being run over by a John Deer.
    I lived in London and walked and cycled everywhere, I lived on a ‘rough’ estate and the people were amazing, there were gangs tht looked intimidating, but when you spoke to them and engaged with them, they were always alright. I was cautious, but never scared.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Only when I see cars.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

If you feel unsafe, just carry a rolled up copy of the daily Mail. Th

You will be protected by righteousness and will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

bearnecessities

Depends. If I’m wearing my weekend fishnets and leaning into a passenger window to give directions, I sometimes feel vulnerable.

Drac

Nope and I get into some interesting places with work.

Northwind

Despite the fear industry’s best efforts, nope. Weird that we talk about “terrorists” so much but the people doing most to spread fear are so acceptable eh.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K91WIBsKu_Y[/video]

bearnecessities

Hey Drac, you the guy that was “lost”, in an ambulance? Kisses 🙂

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Nope never, even though yesterday a neanderthal walked into our local tesco and attacked someone with a machete for being a bit Asian 😥 was shouting ‘white power’. I’m ashamed to live here at the moment.

ton

i am with deviant on this…..so no i am not scared on the streets.

car drivers worry me tho. people turn fubar once behind the wheel.

Junkyard
    Free Member

No but there are some areas where I am much more alert than others

DezB
    Free Member

Surely people holding up pencils has stopped terrorism?

Drac

Hahaha! Not me Bear, no,

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What JY said…there are certain parts of the city where I wouldn’t go out of choice to be honest. In my own neighbourhood, or town centre, not at all. Though I’m probably more likely to be a victim of random violence in the city on a Friday or Saturday night than I’d be in the other areas about which I’m thinking.

CountZero

Nope. But then, I rarely go places after dark where my safety could be compromised, and even during daylight there’s little likelihood I’m going to be somewhere risky.

vondally
    Free Member

nope…..as above more alert in some places than others but

grew up in the 70’s with IRA bombings, punks, mods and rockers revivalist, football hooligans and NF expressing their knuckles
    80’s similar random world of expressions of violence including the Police, rioters and social unrest, right wing thuggery towards those who were ‘different’, muggings by some serious folk
    90’s slightly quieter more silliness ‘madchester’ then the Zoo/Nuts manifestations…geezers…..
    2000, binge drinking lager louts and lary nights, generally calmer world but getting older now…..

So personally feel okay on the streets,

Suggsey
    Free Member

Only place I have ever felt unsafe was 8pm down by Hillfields end of Stoney Stanton Road Coventry, I was riding home, saw the two nerdowells looking up and down the road as I approached, absolutely no one on the street and no cars whatsoever……. At which point as I get close they run across the road towards me…….adrenaline kicked in and I stomped on the pedals as hard as I could on the basis if they were going to fetch me off I was going to seriously hurt one of them in the impact….a part swerve head down bashed against one of their arms and I didn’t look back……..that put paid to any more commutes through that part of coventry late at night as I was riding later than that too.
    I’ve been on really rough estates all over the country and consider myself pretty good at being able to look after myself but with age comes the doubt of common sense and I’m always preaching at people not to make themselves into victims.

wrightyson
    Free Member

From the brief bit i saw i
    believe it was all based on gangs/knifecrime.
    As someone said up there i feel more uneasy going to the pub some nights what with some of the let’s just have a ruck mobs, that are out.

jekkyl

Birmingham’s a bit of a no go area I saw on the news, wouldn’t go there, besides they talk funny.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I find my rural hometown scarier than most cities, as everyone just seems to get drunk and batter the shit out of each other on a night out.

batfink
    Free Member

Nope, people are flesh and bone just like me….which means they can be hurt just like me.

I find that has always served me well

Interesting one this. Me and the Mrs moved from London (shootin’ Tooting) to Sydney. By comparison, Sydney is Dysneyland – people leave their bags on the beach while they surf, you see very nice bikes locked-up with a $5 cable lock for hours in the central city etc etc. HOWEVER, talk to any Australian and Sydney is worse than downtown Caracas – you can’t leave your house without being mugged, stabbed or beaten.

Our conclusion is – unless you have some other broader perspective, wherever you live, the media has convinced you that it’s unsafe, going to hell-in-a-handcart, and that you should be terrified.

Edit: Apart from Tooting. Obviously Tooting is a sh*t-hole.

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, very safe.

You can blind a person in one eye yet only get 5 years prison term yet being fed and house during the 5 year period.

I would rather request the other person to have eye transplant to replace the damage they done.

🙄

Duggan

No, but then I do live in Didsbury.

matt_outandabout

I live in Dunblane. We don’t do crime here, dahlings.

ElShalimo

I wasn’t scared until I realised that I’m one of bearneccesities punters
    😳

fasthaggis

😯

torsoinalake
    Free Member

No. Never.

Xylene
    Free Member

Here no, I live in the mountains, scariest thing is the really busy road opposite the house.

Last job, in ULaanbaatar, I was cautious on the streets, only place I’ve ever been where staff were assaulted in the day time for being foreign.

I was threatened by a large drunken man with my daughter in the buggy, outside a shopping centre.

Never went out to clubs there, staff that did, until they go their street sense a bit better tuned in were getting mugged, robbed and beaten up.
    Saying that their lack of common sense at time, while pissed, was shocking.

I had one member of staff, who was robbed several weekends in a row, and on the final one, he tried to go home in a gypsey cab, and was dumped about 25km from the accommodation, in -25 with no shoes and jacket – fortunately there was a lone shop that was there otherwise he was ****.

djglover
    Free Member

He’ll yeah, don’t step out onto the mean streets of Ilkley unless I’m kitted up dude

scuttler

Some light entertainment from The Streets to lighten the mood.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qg3rQfeZv4[/video]

Quality

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Harwood in Bolton. The most scary thing about it is having a trolley thrust into your nether regions by some psychotic school run mum. Other than that it’s peaceful, friendly and the majority have jobs or are retired.

Even Darwen I lived in for two years was safe enough, just the odd alcohol induced gobshite.

batfink
    Free Member

Last job, in ULaanbaatar, I was cautious on the streets, only place I’ve ever been where staff were assaulted in the day time for being foreign.

Twinned with Leeds, apparently.

squirrelking
    Free Member

When I was at school I expect we were the crime. Not that you couldn’t see us coming…

freeagent
    Free Member

Nope, normally feel pretty safe, despite having lived in, and now having to visit (for work) a few pretty grim places.

However I generally avoid putting myself in potentially hostile situations, especially in unfamiliar towns.

I felt pretty scared in downtown Sarajevo when I visited back in 2001, but that was because everyone had guns, and were all paranoid.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’ve not yet found a part of Newcastle where I’ve felt intimidated in but there were definitely bits of Leeds which I didn’t like to walk through at night.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Living and working and London and using public transport yes there have been a few times when I have felt unsafe due to terrorist threats. During the gulf war I was in Riyhad a few times which was very spooky, metal detectors and armed police everywhere, we where given security briefings. I have had a number of business trips cancelled by company security.

Drac

Well there was that one time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Do you feel unsafe on "the streets "’ is closed to new replies.