Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Do you even Kudos, Bro?
  • DrP

I’ve figures I’m tight with “strava kudos”! There, I said it!

I’ll give you a thumbs up if you get a few KOMs, or if you, say, bash out the Dulwich Dynamo Double.

I shan’t be wowed by your 5km pootle to work, or for testing out your new frame on a 400m ride round the block..

I only say this as I have a few followers who will kudos for ANYTHING… turn the garmin on – kudos…. 5 mile ride to work – kudos…!

What’s your ethos on kudos?

I think “If everyone’s special, NO-ONE is!”..

DrP

jointhedotz
    Free Member

but everyone IS special!

longj
    Free Member

Generally can’t be arsed to sift through everything to find how many KOMs etc someone had so end up kudosing everything. It’s out of laziness really.

perchypanther
    Free Member

nedrapier

Same. couple of times I’ve started returning kudos given to me for average mid week rides, then you feel like you have to spread it around, then it means nothing more than “I see you went on a bike ride.”

Couple a month, mebbe: big distance, decent race result, 1st rides for someone who’s just got on their bike again.

scaredypants

one of my mates is in a club – his chums kudos his 4 mile commute

twice daily

nedrapier

just logged in out of idle interest to see if anyone I know has done anything awesome. Bit depressing to see how far I am behind pace. Going backwards with shoulder surgery in 10 days and another couple of months off. I’m going to have to have a big December!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’ve set up a series of ghost accounts to ensure I get the kudos I deserve

DrP

I just worry that there’s a finite amount of electricity and internet-space, and if it’s all taken up by kudosing trite, then there’ll be less for, well, you know, kittens and such…

DrP

muggomagic

Kudos if you got some PRs, top 10, it was pissing down or I’m impressed by the persons effort.
    Also if on a group ride and I’ve hit the kudos button for the reasons above for several people then I’ll do it for everyone I follow that was there as they helped make it special.

brakes
    Free Member

Dulwich Dynamo Double

:waves:

Rubber_Buccaneer

Just to cheer you up DrP I’ve given you some Kudos, just the one mind gotta keep it special 🙂

DrP

Brakes – I even said you were my special one for 2016 didn’t I!!

DrP

jekkyl

I tend to strava any walking activity as well as cycling things like going to the Zoo or going round a national trust castle, just out if idle curiousity to see how far we walked. Guaranteed I’ll get like 2 or 3 kudos, so I agree it is a bit silly. I sometimes want to change the title to ‘don’t kudos this I’m only going round a castle garden’ 😀
    but you know… who cares?!

nbt

this. you don’t have to get KOMs, you just have to follow Rule 5

freeagent
    Free Member

one of my mates is in a club – his chums kudos his 4 mile commute

twice daily

Hahaha! – I have a mate who is in a roadie club and they do the same..

cloudnine
    Free Member

What about turbo sessions?
    I wouldn’t even post a turbo on strava but there’s plenty that do..

fifeandy
    Free Member

Reserved for good efforts. That could be a 10 mile commute for someone new to biking to work, a good interval session or a weekend epic.

allan23
    Free Member

Got my Strava fairly tied down and even then there’s only about 2 or 3 people who are regular riders.

I usually know the people and circumstances so if someone’s getting back after injury or done particularly well I’ll do the Kudos thing.

Never expect them in return but it is a small boost when someone gives Kudos when you get a notification on something you’ve done that’s a bit different to the usual.

davidjey
    Free Member

I follow a few high profile riders (a few pros plus folk like Steve Abraham, Mike Hall) who have about a bazallion followers:

A dozen kudos for turning your garmin on then off again

A few hundred kudos for nipping to the shops

I don’t get it. I can only assume these folk just scroll mindlessly down their strava feed giving kudos for everything.

You get kudos from me if you’ve raced, gone above and beyond in some way (whether that’s got some KOMs, gone for a big ride, ridden through a hailstorm or whatever), or I’ve been on a good group ride with you. EDIT: what FifeAndy said basically.

DrP

I’m chuckling out loud at the actual fact people have given Kudos for turning on and off a garmin.
    Lots of people!!

DrP

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s strava. You’re trying to define the line where the silliness starts and ends?

chakaping
    Free Member

I think of it more as a “like” function than saying “that was an awesome ride dude”.

So I dish them out if people have been riding with their kids, or somewhere nice, or posted good pics, or a funny ride name, as well as for big rides and KOMs.

davidjey
    Free Member

I did a road stage race recently and, acting purely as domestique and more interested in surviving to the finish than my position on GC, I soft-pedalled round the 4 mile individual time trial.

One of my mates posted in the comments “I’m giving everyone else kudos for this, but not you” 😀

Pook

kudos told me I was going to be a teacher or a journalist.

But i guess you’re not talking about the early 90s career planning software Rotherham Borough Council used to use are you?

It used to be reserved for a trophy gathering ride, but it’s slowly crept up to giving them for every ride, so they get returned out of courtesy really

DaveRambo

I’m with you OP.

I give kudos where it’s due and I get irritated if I do an average ride with no trophies yet get kudos from people.

Just because it’s Strava and means nothing doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use them like saying hello.

Idiots, the world is full of idiots

I feel better now 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

IS it a bit like “Liking” any old tripe someone posts on Facebook? 🙂

dogthomson

Pook – Member
    kudos told me I was going to be a teacher or a journalist.

But i guess you’re not talking about the early 90s career planning software Rotherham Borough Council used to use are you?

I didn’t know you were a Rotherham lad Pook!

Wait… Did I sell you a Kona Humu frame in Meadowhall one time?

DrP

We some numpty just gave me a kudos for my accidental “garmin on-off” upload 😉

I fear I’ve opened the floodgates here haven’t I…

DrP

Pook

Did I sell you a Kona Humu frame in Meadowhall one time

Not me – though i did once buy a car in the yellow car park!

Yep, Bramley born and bred. Live in Sheffield now though. Where are you?

nickc

I won’t kudos your commute but I do give it to folks training or to folk who I know are running/cycling despite what else is going on in their world.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I hardly ever give it, maybe three or four times a year. My criteria are fairly strict, >100 miles, a mountain or a KoM. A ride’s a ride, regardless of what’s going on outside the cycling world.

A bloke I rode with 3 years ago gives me kudos every ride. I don’t get it.

Even though I ride with TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR and he says he’s liberal with his kudos he didn’t give me any for last nights ride 😡

chakaping
    Free Member

I won’t kudos your commute but I do give it to folks training or to folk who I know are running/cycling despite what else is going on in their world.

Yeah if I know someone’s struggled with the motivation to ride and they then do 1.5hrs round the local woods then that’s kudos-worthy, eh?

I never bestow my kudos on runs though. Wouldn’t want to be seen to encourage that kind of deviant behaviour.

Kahurangi

I dish them out if people have been riding with their kids, or somewhere nice, or posted good pics, or a funny ride name, as well as for big rides and KOMs.

Just like this.

You’ll not be getting any love for a turbo session, mowing the lawn or a ride to work. You might well get one for a family walk around the hills and a sweet photograph to go with it.

Kahurangi

Even though I ride with TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR and he says he’s liberal with his kudos he didn’t give me any for last nights ride

Ah, so you’re a taker not a giver 😀

scaredypants

A dozen kudos for turning your garmin on then off again

hopefully that’s ironikudos – which is something I’m going to start to bestow

Even though I ride with TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR and he says he’s liberal with his kudos he didn’t give me any for last nights ride

You lying sod – one of the 6 Kudos you have is mine on your ride ‘Buzzed by bats’

fr0sty
    Free Member

Hot tip:

If you use the Strava phone app, shake your phone on the kudos page and it kudos’s(?) everyone on that ride.

acidtest
    Free Member

Anything with a bit of effort and at least some PRs gets a kudos from me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Do you even Kudos, Bro?’ is closed to new replies.