Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • Do you drive a manual or auto car?
  • reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I have always fancied an auto-gearbox car especially as the roads are so congested now but get the impression most people drive manual models. I realise that auto’s are generally thirstier & have higher emissions (except perhaps DSG boxes)but what is your preference?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Just bought a leon with a dsg box for the reasons you state – all I do is sit in traffic! Manual mode for the odd occasion I can have some fun – picking it up at the weekend

Bez

Auto is way nicer for the amount of traffic round here. A decent auto box will still allow you to use it a bit like a manual when you want a bit of fun, too.

Davesport

Had an auto, got a manual, now looking for a DSG. The VAG DSG’s are meant to be the bo99ocks. The Co2 figures for the DSG equipped cars is only marginally higher than the manual mo-tahs. I prefer an auto 8)

Spud

Always had manual boxes until my latest one (Merc E Class), fancied an auto for the same reasons as you and a back problem that seemed to be exacerbated by changing gear a lot in traffic etc. Wouldn’t go back now, and the model I have has no different emissions to the previous car (Octavia vRS), fuel economy is comparable on long journeys but lower in traffic, always had diesels too.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Manual, tried auto once but couldn’t get the hang of it. Idiot me!

Pete
    Free Member

Auto..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You only drive a manual car.

A car with an auto box isnt proper driving.

Frankers
    Free Member

I’m on my 3rd VW Passat with auto now DSG gearbox.

Wouldn’t go back to manual unless my company tells me I have too, never use the manual function on it…. far too lasy for that

bigant

hint … *MAN*ual 😛

epicyclo

They only make manual cars these days for the sake of public decency.

The gear lever gives the car boys something to play with in traffic.

🙂

psling
    Free Member

One of each although the auto does also have ‘paddles’ for those boy-racer moments 8)

Hohum
    Free Member

I remember saying to myself and others that I would never drive an auto, but I bought an E39 BMW just over 3 years ago and that came with an auto box (manual E39s were hard to find) and I must admit to really liking it.

They do increase fuel consumption though.

molgrips
    Free Member

DSG here, I do like it but I am slightly peeved about the 2-3mpg loss. And the fact that the small increase in emissions pushes me into another tax band 🙁

Very good though – not as nice in urban traffic as a traditional auto mind, but lovely in the countryside. And I do use the manual override sometimes. Here in Germany the sliproads are not very well designed – you approach the road you are joining at almost 90 degrees then there’s a very sharp bend and a short sliproad. So you have to be on the ball, and pre-selecting the right gear and keeping it there helps save vital milliseconds 🙂

hora
    Free Member

If I had a big commute I’d probably go down the diesel/auto route to take the weary-sting out of the grind. No point having a manual in this scenario.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I must admit I’m completely surprised by the pro-auto response. I really like auto’s but thought I was in the minority. For you guys with DSG boxes-do you have problems with hesitation or surging at junctions when the box has an indecisive moment as to which gear it should be preselecting? I tow a caravan at times & have been a bit put off by these sort of reports. Interesting the pro-manual camp regard it as a bit soft to be using an auto!

br
    Free Member

A car with an auto box isnt proper driving.

Speaks a man who has obviously either never driven a decent auto or been driven by someone who knows how to drive an auto.

My first car was an auto and then I got back into them about 15 years ago, not had a manual car (I also ride motorbikes, which are manual) since. But the key to an auto is to get a decent sized engine (I’ve a 3.5) – and just accept they are not so good on fuel.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Land rover is an Auto, seat Leon is manual, I have no real preference, although with my knackered leg, I find the auto much easier.

hora
    Free Member

If my commute involved 90% city driving I’d probably buy a Aygo manual.
    If my commute involved 40miles motorway each day I’d buy a diesel auto.
    If my commute involved cycling to work I’d buy a big engine manual petrol.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Manual car. Automatic lorry. I had an auto car for years, not out of choice but because it was a hand me down. Not a bad motor. Modern auto’s are pretty good.

SaxonRider

As I’m originally from North America, I grew up with autos. If you wanted street cred as a young driver, though, you had manual. Autos were so insanely boring. The only exception I can think of is a Volvo I had that was always a pleasure to drive, auto or not.

But it’s always manuals now. My wife won’t allow us to have an auto.

SaxonRider

I should add that autos are utter rubbish on hills. For all the autos I’ve ever driver, not one of them would have handled the ups and downs of West Wales efficiently.

molgrips
    Free Member

For you guys with DSG boxes-do you have problems with hesitation or surging at junctions when the box has an indecisive moment as to which gear it should be preselecting?

I don’t have a problem with the hesitation when it pre-selects the wrong gear, but then I tend to be sensitive to what gear it’s in anyway. I can tell what it’s going to do and pre-empt it often by modifiying the throttle position.

What I do have a problem with (and this is probably the only one) is not being able to pull out of junctions very fast. I can’t get the revs high enough before it lets the cluth out for a proper launch. I’ve read several webpages telling you to turn off ESP, then keep your foot on the brake and hit the throttle first but this doesn’t work for me. The pages are usually on GTI forums though so perhaps their gearboxes are set up differently.

I’d have an auto for city driving as it’s much better for traffic queues – don’t have to fanny about with the clutch and 1st/2nd all the time.

I should add that autos are utter rubbish on hills

Not a good modern box or DSG.

bol

I drive an auto hybrid. Not the most fun I’ve ever had in a car, but so easy and relaxing – and frugal too. It’s only the old fashioned slush-box autos that are much thirstier than manuals. CVT boxes like mine are programmed to rev their nuts off to get up to speed and then drop to a very low and economical cruising gear. I’m sold on it, but I still fancy something with a close ratio 6speed manual for the weekends – although that would mean less to spend on bikes.

molgrips
    Free Member

CVT boxes like mine

If it’s a Prius then it’s not actually a CVT gearbox, it just acts like one 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I have a manual as it was a bargain buy, but would MUCH rather an auto.
    There is absolutely ZERO fun in driving for me, it is literally to get from place to place. With cokcs at every turn (probably those who think they are MEN because they drive a manual gearboxed car) I can’t see how driving can be enjoyable on the roads these days.

Most people round here seem to think their indicators switch on automatically.

DaveRambo

I was looking for a manual a few years ago, test drove an auto and have had it on the family car since. Had a small second car that was manual but we got rid of that as we hardly used it.
    Can’t see me changing back to a manual on the big car.

It’s more relaxing to drive and if I want some fun I have the motorbike.

Markie
    Free Member

I have a manual, no plans for a new car at the moment but would choose an automatic if buying now. That bit of extra simplicity in my driving experience is worth the slight loss in efficiency.

Then again, I also quite like the idea of the schlumpf drive.

dave_aber
    Free Member

I’m driving my first ever auto these days (Bongo), and have been very surprised about how much I like it. Does take a bit of getting used to though.

I would go back to a manual if the right car happened to be a manual, but my previous thoughts about them being crap have been banished for good.

Also surprisingly effective in the snow, where I thought an auto would be useless. Smooth gear changes and the ability to feed in the power very gently have made driving in snow/ice a very rewarding experience

Rio

Do they still make manual cars? How quaint, must be something they keep going for the third-world markets. 🙂

My last two cars have been autos and it would seem like a regressive step to go back to manuals. Modern autos are very good and often more economical than the petrol equivalents. My previous car was a cvt and had lower CO2 and better performance than the petrol equivalent, and if asked it would pull away at junctions at the limits of the front tyres’ adhesion. Current car is RWD diesel auto and will just about do the same if you’re insistent with it although by default it tends to glide away.

Tiger6791

Auto

Just better really

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Speaks a man who has obviously either never driven a decent auto or been driven by someone who knows how to drive an auto.

Being a man, I wouldnt ever entertain the idea of driving an automatic.

Look at the true greats: Michael Schumacher, Sir Edmund Hillary, Clint Eastwood and George Foreman – you wouldnt catch them driving an automatic

titusrider
    Free Member

I couldnt see myself ever driving an auto.
    I really like the experiance of driving, i love the change down for corners then throw it in in third or fourth.
    Also use engine breaking alot, i think id miss the involving feeling of it.
    Does get annoying in traffic jams though !

epicyclo

Of course the real benefit of autos is lost these days.

A proper auto has a column change and a bench seat. Thus the driver has a free hand to drape over the shoulder of his attractive female passenger.

The lads who couldn’t pull chicks made do with a hot throbbing manual gear lever and felt like “real men”

Tiger6791

Look at the true greats: Michael Schumacher, Sir Edmund Hillary, Clint Eastwood and George Foreman – you wouldnt catch them driving an automatic

Well lets look at this in more detail:

Michael Schumacher: Race car is semi automatic, Home car is a Fiat Estate Auto

Sir Edmund Hillary: Kiwi so that’s a 50/50 I’m afraid

George Foreman: American so 90%+ chance and auto

Clint Eastwood: American so 90%+ chance and auto

McHamish
    Free Member

I’ve got a manual A3…but I should have got the semi-automatic s tronic gearbox.

molgrips
    Free Member

I really like the experiance of driving, i love the change down for corners then throw it in in third or fourth.
    Also use engine breaking alot, i think id miss the involving feeling of it.

DSG FTW. Engine braking, manaul override. If it’s good enough for racing cars it’s good enough for you.

hora
    Free Member

Lewis Hamilton used a Smart for two for getting to and from practice sessions.

After a hards day work why would he jump into a manual car I guess.

Tiger6791

We’ve got a 6 speed automatic/sequential gearbox with Tiptronic so can still be used if you want to drive like a knob.

99.99% of the time we just stick it in ‘D’ and go.

Auto’s are just so good and I wouldn’t go back for an everyday car

tonyg2003

7 speed auto here. I leave it in drive and comfort mode 99% of the time. If you want to you can put it into sport mode, change gear yourself and pretend its a manual but I hardly ever see the point. If I lived somewhere with great driving roads – West Wales, Scotland etc.. I might get a manual but for round here it’s a manual every time. Newer autos are amazingly good.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Do you drive a manual or auto car?’ is closed to new replies.