• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ton.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Do these shoes exist? (Possible Moon-on-a-stick content)
  • SprocketJockey
    Free Member

After trashing another pair of approach shoes (Merrell Chameleons) I’m in need of some multi purpose footwear, pref suitable for both riding and general dossing about (as fed up taking loads of shoes everywhere).

Need to be:

Suitable for use with flat pedals (V8s) but enough tread for hike-a-bike in muddy conditions
    Waterproof (or reasonably weather proof at least)
    Stiff enough for riding but flexible enough for occasional general wear
    Not too bikey

I really like the idea of the Shimano MT91 boot, but as I generally use flats in the winter, I guess they’re not going to be suitable.

And I know someone is going to suggest a pair of AM40s – I don’t doubt they are really good but personally I think they’re hideous.

DezB
    Free Member

I had some Northwave Hedgehogs which are pretty much what you describe, but they fell apart from being walked in the wet too much, which wasn’t very impressive. They’d probably last longer if mostly used for biking.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Do you mean North Face Hedgehogs – my wife has a pair of these. I did consider something like that, but thought the sole looked a bit flimsy for use with pins.

uplink
    Free Member
    ahhhjrene
    Free Member

Hell yeah they do

As grippy as any other 510, great tread for walking, havent leaked, not as orthopedic looking as cycle specific footwear, comfy, resolable with a removable insole.

I got the last pair of size 10 from the outdorr gear shop, who where super helpful also.

chakaping
    Free Member

Since it got all muddy and sloppy I’ve started wearing my old Rossignol hiking trainers. I think they call these sort of things “approach shoes” as well.

They have a Gore Tex membrane and a stiff-ish Vibram sole, good for flat pedals and scrambling up out of muddy ditches.

Got them for £25 at TK Maxx, where they often have similar shoes.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

What you want is the 5:10 Freerider. Perfect bike shoe but great for knocking around. More waterproof for winter than approach shoes because the sole and rand are one piece. I’ve got one pair for riding and another for normal wear

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Those Five Ten Exums look like just the job. Thanks all..

ton

those five ten exums look just what i have been looking for too.

just ordered a pair of size 12’s…..we will see. 8)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Do these shoes exist? (Possible Moon-on-a-stick content)’ is closed to new replies.