Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Do speed cameras always "flash"
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fairly sure I was doing 35-37mph (I know the spedo is bang on accurate upto about 60) through a camera first thing this morning. Didn't see a flash, and know they usualy dont go off untill 36 (30mph+10%+3mph) have I got away with it? Or does the flash only go off at night?

And before I get flamed the road in question was about 30m between a roundabout where I pulled out from a side road and a 40 limit, and it wasn't untill I passed the camera that it occured to me that the sign reads 30 in the other direction 🙁

GrahamS

I reckon you're probably fine.

Impressed if your speedo is that accurate tho. Mine (Ford Focus) is usually under by around 10% when compared to sat-nav.

clubber
    Free Member

I've found that most cars are about 10% under at the speedo, based on GPS.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Assuming it was rear-facing camera with white flash you're fine. If it was specs or truvelo you could still be knackered.

Dunno about the flash, but always thought the margin of error was 10% + 2mph, not 3mph.

chela
    Free Member

I had to go on a speeding workshop the other month and IIRC the guy told us that of the 40something cameras in the North East (Northumbria Police area I guess) only something like 12 are operational at any one time.

I thought the margin of error was 10% + zero mph. I seem to recall some people being on that speeding course for doing 35mph in a 30, so it mustn't be 10% + 3mph.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I checked the spedo against a GPS to be on the safe side a few months back, the car's 30 years old so presumably someones calibrated it properly rather than relying on BL to have done it properly in the 70's!

I know my housemate had an awareness course the other week so hopefully it'll be that if it does come through.

Anyone else think Berkshire Police are a bit camera happy? To get from the GFs house (Wokingham) to Reading town center is probably 6 miles, yet has enough cameas to invalidate my licence twice over and still have points to spare!

Then again my housemates drive like twunts so if I get points and they dont I'll be peeved off.

samuri
    Free Member

Sometimes they just issue you a ticket without you actually breaking the law. After all, you might have been thinking about speeding.

GrahamS

Anyone else think Berkshire Police are a bit camera happy?

Depends. Not if you are in an area where people tend to drive like twunts.

my housemates drive like twunts

Ahh. 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Sometimes they just issue you a ticket without you actually breaking the law. After all, you might have been thinking about speeding.

Best drive with your keys on the shock turret, locked under the bonnet to prove you had no intention of speeding 😀

spooky_b329

A lot of cars seem to under read at 30mph, and then over read as you approach 60mph. So don't assume that if its bang on at 60mph, its also bang on at 30mph. Indicated 30 could really be 32 or 33mph rather than the other way round.

bensales
    Free Member

It's illegal for a vehicle speedo to under read. That's why manufacturers always make them over read. And legally they can only over read by up to 10%

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Do speed cameras always "flash"’ is closed to new replies.