Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • DO NOT…
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Cut the end off a 240v cable whilst it is plugged in.

I did this this morning.

I’m now banned from making an extension lead (for the time being).

Have a safe Christmas!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m guessing it gave you an excuse to prove the mcb is working and a reaso. to go and buy a new cutting implement.

zippykona

If you do the above make sure you have a bucket of water nearby to put the sparks out.

psling
    Free Member

I’ve actually seen an extension lead that someone made with a PLUG at BOTH ends 😯

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Probably a good job we are on AC and not DC or you’d still be there.

qwerty
    Free Member

Worryingly the trip switch didn’t trip, I guess the plug fuse did. Fresh Stanley blade required.

brodie
    Free Member

Worryingly the trip switch didn’t trip, I guess the plug fuse did. Fresh UNDERPANTS required.

Fixed it.

slugwash
    Free Member

Lucky there was a paramedic in the house Martin 😉

markenduro
    Free Member

You probably shorted the live and neutral out so the fuse went first. Earth trip would only go before the fuse if you shorted the live and earth out with the blade. Bet it woke you up.

stuey
    Free Member

Trip switches won’t always save a life: if you get a low resistance path across your heart even ’10mA’ could kill you – “so always keep one hand in your pocket” 😉

Darwin award for death by PP3

athgray
    Free Member

I did something similar recently. Went to fit a new light fitting in my Son’s room. Firstly removed the bulb then went down stairs to turn off the trip switch in the fuse box.
    To check that I had flicked the correct switch I returned to my son’s room and turned on the light. As the light did not come on I assumed I had the correct circuit switched off. Started work on the fitting. Got a good jolt. What an idiot.

aidanoggy
    Free Member

OP… good solid advice that 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

Plug at both ends is cowboy generator connection to house rough as ****. – just make sure the main breakers shut down ffs

Frankenstein
    Free Member

My stupid Dad did that – plugs at both ends and I only noticed after being shocked – hurt like hell.

globalti
    Free Member

This was how I ruined my expensive Park Tools cable cutter. Sparkie left a loop of ring main sticking out for me to cut later and add a socket but he forgot to tell me that he’d used the ring for the downstairs sockets, so when I turned off the supply for the upstairs sockets the loop was still live….

There was a loud bang and a flash and the spark eroded the cutting edge of the blade of my cable cutter. RIP.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘DO NOT…’ is closed to new replies.