Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Do i set the rabbit free?
  • gatecrasher
    Free Member

looking at my childrens miserable pet rabbit, i can't help feeling it would be much happier roaming the meadows. First post so take it easy.

jam-bo

it would be dead within hours…..

GlenMore
    Free Member

It would die

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

No- its a demisticated rabit, so wouldn't stand a chance in the wild. Also at risk of different diseases I reckon.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes.

MrGreedy

Onzadog
    Free Member

could get it a friend, maybe that would cheer it up.

Drac

Many domesticated pets survive happily in the wild and go onto breed with wild ones. If you didn't like the idea of keeping it in a hutch then should have said no it as a pet.

RustySpanner

No, just cheer it up a bit.

Watching a good comedy, a chinese takeaway and a bit of 'ows 'yer father usually work for me, but your rabbit may have other ideas. 😀

snowslave

Just take the batteries out and keep it in the cupboard with the hand cuffs

elaineanne
    Free Member

i had a nice white fluffy rabbit few years ago and it won a local agrigultural competition, then that winter we had a real cold winter so i put plenty of straw in the hutch over nite but it perished next morning ! it must have been too cold, so no wonder 'wild rabbits' burrow themselves deep in the 'underground'… ….. she was called 'Lavinia Blossom'.

loddrik
    Free Member

It needs a companion or two, they are social animals so it probably is a bit miserable
    on its own.

MrsToast
    Free Member

From what I've read, the best companion for a rabbit is another rabbit of the opposite gender, but neutered (unless you want lots of rabbits!).

Why is it miserable? If it looks a bit hacked off at being cooped up a lot, would giving it a bigger hutch/bigger run (fox proofed, of course) make it happier?

Or, have you considered allowing it into the house? I had a housetrained rabbit as a kid, he was awesome, more like a rabbit shaped dog. He liked the theme tune to The Bill, and hated Phil Collins.

Letting it loose is obviously a no-no, domestic rabbits aren't likely to survive in the wild for very long. Perhaps you could learn to live with your bunny's disapproval?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Remember kids, a rabbit isn't just a pet. It's an ingredient.

erbii
    Free Member

Elaine that story is soo sad.. 🙁

Kahurangi

Get you children to bring it inside regularly and to play with it, let it run round and explore the smells.

A bit of toilet training required but I hate to see so many hutch rabbits neglected, especially through the dark months.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If it's miserable then get it re-homed. Do not just get another one so that you have 2 miserable pets. And do not try to get your children show it attention – if they won't do it voluntarily, then it's a lost cause. Sadly rabbits are Britain's most neglected pets, often left to starve in their own piss in a forgotten corner of the garden. Flashheart's solution is a kinder option, although I suspect that you won't want to eat it – so get re-homed :

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp#Avon

Cooroo
    Free Member

Don't expect your children to care for a rabbit 100%, mine loves hers dearly but would soon forget if not chivvied!

We bring ours in most evenings, she loves hopping around the (rabbit-proofed) living room and sitting on laps. She's more affectionate and rewarding with more human contact.

Must confess I've not the energy to get another one. They are cheap to buy but cost a fortune in vets' bills.

peajay

Mine "accidentaly" got out one night, bugger came back next morning having been out getting shagged, ended up with 5 babys to my surprise! Never again.
    PJ

Stoner
    Free Member

I wouldn't fret. I gather they are pre-dispositioned to self-harm.

grievoustim
    Free Member

a friend of mine had a pet rabbit as a kid that started getting a bit "bitey"

the families solution was to cook it for sunday dinner! I like eating rabbit as much as the next man, but that seems a step too far for a family pet

gatecrasher
    Free Member

looks tasty mr G
    nice one stoner
    I might try letting "starsky" in the house,but i dont want rabbit raisins
    everywhere.it could knack the dyson when vaccing up

sc-xc

If you are really talking about a real rabbit, then there is good advice above.

If, however you mean 'penis' when you say rabbit, and 'into the hand of another man' when you say free…then what have you got to lose?

teagirl
    Free Member

House rabbits are the way to go, 2 of and train to use litter tray!
    Good luck, great fun! 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Our rabbit can shit for england and shag for spain. Oh, and he can chew for errrm, Israel? I'd have to be insane to let him in the house. He stays outside and gets out into the garden regularly enough. Normally when we let him out he hops around for a little bit and then goes back to his hutch. I really don't think they're gifted with enormous intelligence and being in a hutch probably isn't the mental torture that it would be for us.

'ooh, some mesh'
    'ooh, some hay'
    'ooh, a bowl'

'ooh, some mesh'

etc…

tazzymtb

I hear that there is a shortage of "test subjects" in certain laboratories, do you think your rabbit would look good in eye liner and lippy? might be a few quid in it 🙂

GrahamS

There's a little family of jet black bunnies near my work, which I'm pretty sure aren't natural natives, so I reckon some pet rabbits do okay if set free.

coffeeking
    Free Member

gatecrasher- no offense intended but you don't seem like much of an animal person, you can't expect a kid to look after an animal completely, and you can't then realise this and set it free. If you're worried about rabbit raisins damaging the vac, use a tissue and your hands. If you can't give the rabbit a decent life, find it someone who can. Maybe telling the child that they're not looking after it so it has to go to someone who can might spur them into action?

Coyote
    Free Member

My two rabbits live in a hutch but they have the full run of the garden at all times. Yeah rabbit raisins can be a bit of a problem but on the plus-side I've not mown the lawn for two years!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Do i set the rabbit free?’ is closed to new replies.