Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • do I risk it?
  • valleydaddy
    Free Member

after some advise.

Just building a shonk HT for winter and noticed a crack in steerer tube only about 3mm from lower headset cup.

Shall I carry on with the build or is the frame scrap?

can i fix it some how?

coogan
    Free Member

Just ride your normal bike in winter like thousands of others?

timber

well, it's not broken yet

Junkyard
    Free Member

ride it bit check it often

valleydaddy
    Free Member

coogan – I am going to ride my Scott too but as I had so many spare bits after upgrading it I thought I would build another bike so that I could have options of full suss and HT, plus can put childseat on HT.

timber – fair point, just don't want it to snap on a rocky downhill. but I suppose worst case scenario I need another £40ish frame and some stitches 😉

simondbarnes

I presume you mean headtube rather than steerer tube? I wouldn't risk it.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Not sure if the bike will stay in one piece and a child seat? Not sure I would be risking it…

valleydaddy
    Free Member

SimonB yes sorry head tube is correct. 😳

Tracker1972 be assured I won't be putting chidseat on back thinking of just scrapping frame as is, but as it's 95% built I may have a soft ride on it and see what happens as junkyard suggests

Ambrose

Pete- I assume it's you. I wouldn't risk it at all. Both of us are big guys, broken bikes can really hurt. 🙁 There are loads of old frames needing a bit of TLC available for you out there in the classifieds if you really want. Just stick an ad. up. Enjoy Machynlleth, I lived there for a while, it is Fabulous. Get ye to Pistyll y Llyn.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

yep sure is me Ambrose, wise words, when I saw it I was going to get the angle grinder out and cut it up in frustration 👿

I'll tap you up for some route info soon

Swalsey
    Free Member

Don't risk it – sometimes the smallest accident results in broken limbs… or skulls… or windscreens…

valleydaddy
    Free Member

ok you've all convinced me to scrap frame and start again 🙁

have posted in classifieds.

does anyone have a 18/19" frame they can sell to me?

Ambrose

But if the frame has any sentimental value, keep a bit of it. Kim uses various bits of dead P7 as lightpulls and wind chimes.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

only had the frame a week so couldn't give a toss, may keep it as a reminder to be more carefull weilding the hammer 😳

bassspine
    Free Member

steel or ally?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

ally Rockhopper WHY?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Steel is reeeeel.. that's why.

It also tends to bend a little bit at a time, rather than failing catastrophically in one sudden go with no warning, like ally.

I think that's what the sttel/ally question was aimed at.

You've been lucky and received a warning. Don't whatever you do use that frame!

jcromton
    Free Member

I have a super old Scott Expert Racing frame, which is aluminium. It's blue and 2003 I think. Well used, but definitely still good to go if you fancy making an offer.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

thanks for all the advise I am going to strip frame and start again.

jcrompton thanks for offering up the Scott I'll bear it in mind.

jcromton
    Free Member

No problem. If you need pictures and that, email is in profile.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

jcromtom ygm no promises

valleydaddy
    Free Member

😀
    would you believe it stripped frame down to scrap and thought I wonder if it's just the paint – guess what I was, the scamp, as the frame is a few years old the paint is obviously brittle on exposed edges so when I pressed on the headset it cracked the paint. 🙂

So now have 2 HT frames as bought a 2nd hand one from LBS

Ambrose

Result! So you have a spare one for me?

brakes
    Free Member

you div

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Ambrose – are you after one?

brakes – yes div sums me up on this one!!

but it did look like a crack and wrongly assumed it was the ally as I had wacked the headset in with my rubber mallet.

Ambrose

Only if you want to swap it for homebrew 🙂

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i would ride it

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘do I risk it?’ is closed to new replies.