Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Do I really want to go back to Uni?
  • Smee
    Free Member

Thinking about going back to uni to do a physio degree as a way to get away from my current career. I cant handle spending my days running the guantlet of lunatic drivers any more.

Talk me out of it or into it whichever you please.

Dylan08
    Free Member

chicks 18-21 years old everywhere (I work in Leeds uni) 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Go for it if it won't cripple you financially and you want to do it.

stuckinarut
    Free Member

Do it. You know you want to.

I'm heading to Leeds uni in September to do a MSc to aid my escape attempt from my current career. Can't wait. 😀

Of course bearing in mind the sensible stuff as Al points out. I'm lucky not to have any ties down south and can manage it financially.

Good luck to you!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Surely you can fit in being a driving instructor around uni to keep you afloat. And then there is the grants that you will get for being a mature student.

Dylan My sister in law has some real issues with Leeds uni. Any insider info to help with her complaints?

case
    Free Member

My housemate is a physio – seems to be a very good career. I think jobs can be a bit hard to find but if you are willing to relocate you will be OK and career progression is good once you get on the ladder.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I did a degree part time a few years ago – fortunatly I had credits towards one but found it to be very hard to do – but rewarding as well.

No offense TZF but how are your people skills? You don't come over too well on here sometimes and people skills will be very important as a physio.

Jobs in the NHS will be hard to come by and private practice is not lucrative at the start I don't believe.

Smee
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure that I'll go for it. Courses get tuition fees paid and you get a grant too. Financially it'll be fine. Its just the going back to uni at 33 I was a bit unsure of, but looking back at my first degree it was full of older folk.

Just need to think about the practicalities of it now. Do we stay here or move – that'll be the fun part.

Case – I know all about being a physio, I'm married to one.

TJ – my people skills are first class.

jimmy

I'm just finishing an MSc to change career. Applying for jobs I actually want to do feels so much better than thinking about the next 30 years stuck in a job I hate.

I was going to say what I_ache said – you have the perfect job currently to fit around your studies.

Also, the SO sees a physio who MTB's with his son. He works from 7 (probably before then, but she's had appointments at that time) 'til 3pm then goes off riding bikes with his son. It is his own practice so he'll have worked hard to get to that stage, but it sounds alright to me.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Friends of mine got a break out to do physio work for a private practise in Val D'Isere for a ski season – good pay but obviously living minimally to get by there as it's an expensive place.
    Oh how i envied them for 6months! 🙁

Elsa
    Free Member

TZF – I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing as you. What uni are you looking at going to?

Smee
    Free Member

Elsa – Glasgow Caledonian Uni.

mrcamel
    Free Member

halfway thro msc at 38, absolutely f@''-=-0g loving it, way better teaching and motivation than 1st degree, more interesting people.

Do it

Divid
    Free Member

Hi

I went back to uni to do physio and have been qualfied a year now and loving it.

Happy to offer any advice and try and answer questions if you would like.

All the best
    Dave

julianwilson
    Free Member

Podiatry would seem to be the easiest of the AHP's to get into fairly lucratuive private practice with. (biiiiiig investment in kit to go private though).
    otherwise i suppose think carefully about doing the same job as your other half. Mrs julian and I both do 'mental' nursing (she works in on of my old teams with loads of my old colleagues/friends) and it is nice that we have no 'business' with each other in our day-to-day work; and 'interesting' when we do not see eye to eye!

Would you be looking particularly at physio if your mrs wasn't one? Have you considered that whatever qualifies you for physio probably also gets you into Occupational Therapy, Dietician-ing, Podiatry, possibly paramedic-ing and dare i say it nursing?

But university as a grownup isn't that bad particularly since in health related stuff, half your course will be 30's or over.
    Bigger considerations will be financial side of it and distance of placements from your home: unless you do nursing or ambulancing, most universities seem to reserve the right to send you literally hundreds of miles away for your practice placements.

Smee
    Free Member

That's me confirmed with the uni today that i'll be doing the course. four years of fun start at the end of september.

Cant wait to get started now.

noteeth
    Free Member

Aside from wasting my time on STW, I'm currently doing a part-time MA in Archaeology (the subject of my undergraduate degree, before I trained as a nurse). Just for interest, like.

Really enjoying having the run of decent University libraries, infrastructure etc. You don't take it for granted, second time around! 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Do I really want to go back to Uni?’ is closed to new replies.