Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Do higher spec shifters trim better?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Afternoon folks,

Running 11speed 105 on the road bike, the trim function is a bit pants to say the least. Its hard to physically use without down shifting, and it could do with moving more than it does.

Are the higher grade shifters (Ultegra) better at this function?

TiRed

It’s adjustment. Try looking at the height and offset of the FD. There is no functional difference between Sora, 105 and Dura Ace. There is little difference in weight, either!

chilled76
    Free Member

Thought that’d be the case. i’ll have a look

zerolight
    Free Member

And to confirm, I’ve been really pleased with the 105 shifting quality and trim feature. It’s not entirely intuitive to setup so dig out a manual and go through the process. It’s not difficult though.

sharkattack

I’d say it’s a setup issue. Usually works really well.

chilled76
    Free Member

Do you find it hard to actually use? Mine seems to very easily press too hard and shift down even when you are trying to be gentle.

ransos
    Free Member

IIRC, there are two cable positions on the 105 front derailleur, which are chosen according to cable routing.

mrjmt
    Free Member

My 105 trims fine, but I much prefer my SRAM force 22 on the other bike, no trim needed! 8)

Kamakazie

Setting up the trim can be a right PITA.

On my Norco, the plastic cable guide around the BB area flexes enough to negate most of the cable movement that the trim click creates and then if I have it really tight (to get trim working) it causes general shifting issues. I’ve probably got to spend a bit more time trying to find a balance between the 2 but I’ve already adjusted it a number of times. The shop can’t seem to get it right either.

cultsdave
    Free Member

I have 11sp Ultegra and think the shifting and trimming is superb, much better than my previous 10speed 105. I doubt very much there is a difference between 105 and Ultegra 11speed though as in design they look very similar, just that the Ultegra is lighter. I would guess you have set it up badly.

iainc

i have 11 speed Ultegra and 105. Trim same on both. Perhaps loosen the cable a little to give you a bit more space with the trim shift ?

prawny

No issues with the Trim on my current Tiagra shod bike or my previous Sora one. Stick a barrel adjuster in for fine tuning.

pdw
    Free Member

I agree with the OP on both points. Too easy to use by accident (you do get used to it), and limited range makes it very fiddly to set up.

My 105 trims fine, but I much prefer my SRAM force 22 on the other bike, no trim needed!

Yeah, although I find SRAM force 22 inferior in just about every other respect.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Should the left (Deore?) shifter on my Voodoo Wazoo offer the trim facility? Having gone 1×8 but leaving the front derailleur in place, pretty sure the chain is rubbing a bit in the easiest few years.

mattbee

This is why I love Di2. If I could only have it on the front I’d be happy.
    Having said that my wife has 105 and as long as the front mech is set correctly the trim works fine. It is really sensitive to height though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Do higher spec shifters trim better?’ is closed to new replies.