• This topic has 1,256 replies, 187 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Cougar.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 1,257 total)
  • Official STW General Election Night thread
  • Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Can we an Acronym of Conservative and Unionist negotiation team for the Brexit talks?

seosamh77
    Free Member

jimjam – Member
    for the media to mine.

I haven’t once heard mention even once todayof the DUPs paramilitary connections, so consider me doubtful of the media’s intentions here.

codybrennan
    Free Member

seosamh77 –
    …. consider me doubtful of the media’s intentions here.

Something has happened to all of this media-driven opinion-forming, Joe, and I’m not sure exactly what. But I don’t think so many are swallowing it now, somehow.

Maybe it is in fact the involvement of younger, less tabloid-driven individuals, getting their news elsewhere? Dunno.

But yeah, not much of the DUPs paramilitary connections on the Beeb, I noticed.

jimjam
    Free Member

Speaking of Peter Robinson, there was that time a property developer sold him a patch of land for £5 which he the re-sold for £450,000. Not a bad return. Then there’s the small matter of his connection to NAMA, where he allegedly stood to gain £7.5 million.

Robinson should go to jail and he’ll take many in the DUP down with him if he ever goes.

slowoldman

Can we an Acronym of Conservative and Unionist negotiation team for the Brexit talks?

No can’t think of one.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@kimbers Davies etc all confirmed in their existing cabinet roles. If May goes it will be Davies or Boris as leader.

Maybe my maths is faulty, but when you rule out the 13 under EVEL, you also rule out the SNP thereby increasing their majority for EVEL votes?

My calculation exactly. Increased Tory majority in England only.

Sinn Fein via Gerry Adams said immediately they stand for election on the firm principal they will never take their seats at Westminster.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Why not 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

If only the 450 million pounds of tax payers money Arlene personally pissed away with her “Renewable Heat Incentive” scheme

@jimjam the DUP had plenty of help from Sinn Fein in wasting that money. A perfect example of how politicians signing commercial contracts is a VERY bad idea

jimjam
    Free Member

jambalaya

@jimjam the DUP had plenty of help from Sinn Fein in wasting that money. A perfect example of how politicians signing commercial contracts is a VERY bad idea

You’re so wrong it’s hilarious.

gerti
    Free Member

As much as I’m a unionist, who has no interest in a united Ireland, the DUP are a massive bunch of arrogant gobshites! They’re just a bunch of angry men in suits who think it’s still 1974. You’ve no idea how backward we are in NI, I hope we don’t infect the rest of yas!

jambalaya
    Free Member

are you happy that the DUP will be have a big say in the running of the government?

Firstly I very much doubt they will have a big say and secondly no I am not happy they have any say – as Imposted many times I was against an early election. Massive strategic error by May calling one (in 20:20 hindsight of course). The Tory “analysis” got Scotland dead right and England completely wrong, looks like the UKIP vote went something like 1/3rd to Conservatives and 2/3rd to Labour

kimbers

This is brilliant handed a humiliation by the progressive youth angered at Mays hard Brexshit
    She moves to swiftly ally herself with the most homophobic, mysoginystic, corrupt MPs in the UK
    Even keeping Davis the genius behind the early GE U-turn

I thought Corbyn was supposed to be the toxic one

Untamed Tory MP according to Paul Mason…….

We all **** hate her. But there is nothing we can do. She’s totally **** us

Played a blinder if you ask me

And she still is, please keep the Maybot, she’s great

dannyh
    Free Member

Firstly I very much doubt they will have a big say

Not in the mainstream stuff, but answer this.

“What is in it for them?”

They don’t need the Tories for their core support and it doesn’t take a genius to guess what kind of concessions they would like to extract.

jimjam
    Free Member

Arlene’s letter encouraging the banks to support the RHI scheme which she implemented when she was Minister for Enterprise and trade.

Documents she later tried to hide/denied the existence of as she tried to distance herself from involvement in £490 million pound scandal.

Unsurprisingly, and in typical DUP fashion some of the biggest beneficiaries of the scheme were members of the Free Presbyterian church, like church elder John McCauley who’s engineering firm earned £960,000 in heating grants. Arlene had visited the factory several times incidentally.
    Another benificiary was the Hebron Free Presbyterian Church who netted just under £300,000 from the scheme. Coincidentally a DUP minister is an elder at that church.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

gerti – Member
    As much as I’m a unionist, who has no interest in a united Ireland, the DUP are a massive bunch of arrogant gobshites! They’re just a bunch of angry men in suits who think it’s still 1974. You’ve no idea how backward we are in NI, I hope we don’t infect the rest of yas!

At the moment I’m quite glad we put off moving back to my wife’s place of birth (Castlewellan) she is worried to what the future holds. The cycling would have been good though…

Cougar

A friend of mine just wrote this on FB:

So, from what I can see, the DUP are:
    Young earth creationists who deny the accepted scientific positions on evolution and climate change.
    They are campaigners against women’s reproductive rights. They are homophobic, xenophobic and occasionally flat out racist.
    They have links to a terrorist organisation – not tenuous ones, but their own founder helped create one and publicly lauded it.
    They opposed the Good Friday Agreement because they were unable to forgive or see past their hatred.
    At long last, the Conservative Party has a left wing!

zippykona

AlexSimon

Blimey – I need this now:

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Heard something on the radio this afternoon (R4) that this could jeopardise the peace process?

Under the GF aggrement the UK government is not supposed to take sides with N.I politics – this of course could be compromised by an informal coalition.

Anyone with any more knowledge than me shed any light on this?
    If true it is somewhat concerning (especially with any brexit border issues that may arise)

epicyclo

kimbers – Member
    …Untamed Tory MP according to Paul Mason…….

We all **** hate her. But there is nothing we can do. She’s totally **** us

I wonder if she knows where all those lost parliamentary paedophile documents may be found. That would keep the lads in line…

kimbers

Yes , seen that this may violate the good Friday agreement

Seems the Tories will **** over anyone to cling onto power

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm – I think you’ll find that under PR Jezza would currently be making speeches outside number 10. Labour would need the support of the Lib Dems and the SNP (and probably also the Greens), but then that doesn’t seem particularly difficult. Under PR, the CUP and the DUP are still in a minority. No – this is an example of how under our FPTP system a minor player can get a disproportionate amount of power.

cite

Junkyard
    Free Member

Your flute needs tuning

chapeau graham chapeau

jam-bo

one more seat to labour. kensington by a hair.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I was always surprised it wasn’t a Labour seat. So many of the better off residents are not entitled to vote due to nationality. The building we lived in was maybe 10% occupied by British passport holders.

jambalaya
    Free Member

cite

If you kept up with the theads you’d know 8)

mrmo
    Free Member

http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/today/good_friday/full_text.html

CODE OF CONDUCT

Ministers must at all times:

observe the highest standards of propriety and regularity involving impartiality, integrity and objectivity in relationship to the stewardship of public funds;
    be accountable to users of services, the community and, through the Assembly, for the activities within their responsibilities, their stewardship of public funds and the extent to which key performance targets and objectives have been met;
    ensure all reasonable requests for information from the Assembly, users of services and individual citizens are complied with; and that Departments and their staff conduct their dealings with the public in an open and responsible way;
    follow the seven principles of public life set out by the Committee on Standards in Public Life;
    comply with this code and with rules relating to the use of public funds;
    operate in a way conducive to promoting good community relations and equality of treatment;
    not use information gained in the course of their service for personal gain; nor seek to use the opportunity of public service to promote their private interests;
    ensure they comply with any rules on the acceptance of gifts and hospitality that might be offered;
    declare any personal or business interests which may conflict with their responsibilities. The Assembly will retain a Register of Interests. Individuals must ensure that any direct or indirect pecuniary interests which members of the public might reasonably think could influence their judgement are listed in the Register of Interests;

Just thought i would have a quick look and see if anything jumps out at me as an issue. the above is about NI ministers i believe but certainly questions about interests to be considered.

I have had a look through and can’t see anything specific, but i can see plenty of places where co-operation and balance are called for.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s off twitter, but could this be right ?

Sinn Fein says Tory/DUP alliance is in contravention of terms of Good Friday Agreement.

mrmo
    Free Member

bikebouy, if you want to read the above link i posted feel free, i can see where the argument is coming from,

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you kept up with the theads you’d know

respectfully you have forgotten what you yourself said and when corrected you dont comment at all so if anyone needs a lecture on keeping up its a little closer to home than you have noticed.

As the thread aracer links to shows this happens to you because of your persistent inaccuracies which have now extended to things you claim to have said.

aracer
    Free Member

That wasn’t exactly why I linked to it (cite 😉 )

dannyh
    Free Member

Back in 2005 I went on a trip to NI and was having a few pints in the hotel bar when the local DUP councilor and his mate (who had been in the B Specials) walked in. After the obligatory ‘local hard man gets instant service on the house’ moment some tentative conversation started up. We were a mixed age group and one of the older chaps who was either pissed / naive / cheeky (or a combination of one or more) said:

“So, do you think there will ever be a united Ireland?”

The reply, spluttered out as it was, include the words ‘not’, ‘my’, ‘lifetime’ and ‘ever’ amidst a fair few more that wouldn’t make it through the swear filter.

A bit later on, after some encouragement, one of the barmen produced a ‘tanny wastle’ and played a very jaunty version of The Sash….

They didn’t strike me as people naturally disposed to compromise.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Posted this in the other thread but echos what I have been saying, an ultra hard WTO Brexit now looks much more likely and the EU are rightly worried

[video]https://youtu.be/Ae6z-mfvuMo[/video]

cchris2lou

why are you saying they are worried ? they are very confident in their position .

they are ready to start , is the UK ready ?

piemonster
    thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’m being sick in my mouth typing this but…..would the best thing for the country not have been for Tim to bite down on the strop and form a coalition?

dannyh
    Free Member

This was the fella, turns out he wasn’t the councilor at the time……

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardiner_Kane

pondo

[Quote]Posted this in the other thread but echos what I have been saying, an ultra hard WTO Brexit now looks much more likely and the EU are rightly worried[/quote]
    Would you understand what I mean if I said you were whistling in the dark?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 1,257 total)

The topic ‘Official STW General Election Night thread’ is closed to new replies.