Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Do 29ers suit small frames?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Been mulling this one over in my head for a while.

I experimented with 69er on my Cove Handjob and really liked it, except it raised the BB too high and was flip floppy on the steering.

I see that a few companies (Orange, Singular…) don’t offer a small (15″) option, but do in 650b. Where as people like Niner do.

Personally, as a short legged (30″ indide leg @ 5’7″), i’d be put off a 29er as i think i’d struggle to get the bars anywhere near saddle height (unless i used a negative rise stem ala Emily Batty).

Anyone on here a short arse on a 29er? if so any pics?

Is it more correct to spec frame size along with wheel size for shorties (a bit like cranks?)

kimbers

well first of all im 5’8 and definitely not a short arse, so you are a bit confused 😉

anyway, ive got a 17 inch Kona unit and its the dogs danglies, flickable and fun

I have no problem with bar/saddle height with a low rise bar and stem, I would say that a dropper post is very useful though
    50mm stem 780mm bars
    rigid at the moment with a ton of spacers under the stem will loose them when I can afford some bouncy forks

cant really see from pic but saddle at pedalling height is a good few cm below bars

qwerty
    Free Member

Hmmm, an inch goes a long way….

No way i’d like a 17″ for off road, too big for me.

qwerty
    Free Member

Thinking more along the lines of small 15″/15.5″ frames than medium 17″ frames.

scotroutes

Also 5’7″. Rode a medium El Mariachi for a while and now have a very similarly (but custom) sized Ti Burls 29er. As always, reach is the important factor in bike sizing.

jameso

Is it more correct to spec frame size along with wheel size for shorties

No, the wheels effect on the ride isn’t really changed how tall or short you are and imo it’s not an ergonomic consideration unless it affects geometry unduly (ie tight-angled racey 29ers are harder to do than slacker ones), but it can be more difficult to make a good, small 29er. Perhaps also smaller+lighter riders may be less likely to enjoy the feel of heavier wheels. There’s certainly less demand for them in smaller sizes relative to 26 or 650 (or even road bikes) so the perception that 29ers are only for tall people is still out there.

Earl
    Free Member

For short asses like me 5’6 I think 29 front 650b rear would be the ideal for xc/trail riding.

Probably commercial suicide though.

nuke

Scandal or Parkwood come in 16″. Plus have short HT for getting the front down. I have a 16″ scandal 29er and i reckon it would suit your height no problem

ahwiles
    Free Member

my wife is 5’1″ (which isn’t *that* short) – we tried her on a 29er, it simply wouldn’t work – with the bars as low as they would go, they were still MILES above the saddle.

on her behalf, i’m 650b curious.

qwerty – Member

Personally, as a short legged (30″ indide leg @ 5’7″), i’d be put off a 29er as i think i’d struggle to get the bars anywhere near saddle height (unless i used a negative rise stem ala Emily Batty).

you’ll have no problems – you’re a giant compared to EB.

qwerty
    Free Member

(ie tight-angled racey 29ers are harder to do

(front wheel not on the horizontal in pic)

Looks naff (but fast).

Yak

Nothing wrong with negative rise stems imo. Only issue is lever/shifters hitting the top tube, but a bit of helicopter tape and flatter levers gets over this.

Is that Emily Batty’s bike ^? She is very small. Your set-up would be fine on a 16″ or similar frame. I’m only 5’8″ and ride a 18″/ med 29er.

qwerty
    Free Member

looks better (mine @ 15.5″)

[/url]IMAG2191 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

but not so fast…

qwerty
    Free Member

I think 29 front 650b rear

I think i’d consider this if i ever went down the custom route.

kimbers

I meant to say saddle is above bars on my Unit!

LMT
    Free Member

I run a 15″ canyon 29er hardtail and tbh its great, flickable and flies through the rock features at Cannock. Second best bike ive ever had, all about the size and fit. I was lucky the fit from canyon was spot on.

jameso

re Trek there ^ yep, can be done. Harder to get it well-balanced I’d say but not impossible.

qwerty
    Free Member

LMT – pics?

LMT
    Free Member

Im at work, but might have a pic on the other thread when I got the bike:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/which-hardtail-29er/page/2

rhid

I built up a really nice banshee paradox 29er and am struggling with it. I am thinking of going back to 26″. I prefer the saddle to be a bit higher than the bars and its not possible with my 29er. I’m 5’6″ with about 29″ inside leg so not tiny (but not massive either). My previous Blue Pig fitted much better, the front end is just too high on my 29er.

http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/Rhid14/library/Banshee%20Paradox?sort=3&page=1

Shame really as its a great bike, its just not for me.

jimjam
    Free Member

qwerty

I see that a few companies (Orange, Singular…) don’t offer a small (15″) option, but do in 650b. Where as people like Niner do.

Is it more correct to spec frame size along with wheel size for shorties (a bit like cranks?)

Niner don’t offer a small 650b option because being exclusively 29er is their USP. More and more companies do seem to be stopping production of small and xs 29ers in favour of 650b. I suppose it makes sense, taller rider, higher centre of gravity, bigger wheels, more stability and more bb drop to lower the cog. Smaller rider, not such an issue.

Personally I’ve never been a fan of 29ers. I found that the hard things which I want to master in mountain biking, cornering, pumping, drops, jumps etc are made more difficult and less fun by 29ers. And the easy things, rolling over roots and holes, are made a bit easier. They’re certainly not for everyone.

smashinstella
    Free Member

I’ve just built up a 16″ inbred 29er and love it, got a 50mm stem and 700 wide bars, it fits me perfectly, using a 400mm seat post. I wanted a cheap intro to the 29er world and as such weight wasn’t a real concern, I now would like a lighter frame tho.
    Tyre choice is my only real grumble.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

I’m on a medium Niner Air 9 with 100mm stem, 640mm bar and a setback post.

As a reference, I am 5’7″ tall with a 32.5″ inseam and I love the way the rides/races.

rockfield
    Free Member

At 5’8 I’m on a medium zealous division with 40mm stem. The small might be a good fit for the op? Really enjoying the bigger wheels so far and have to say its the best bike I have ever ridden for messing about – wheelies,manuals jumps etc. Just encourages you to ride like a hooligan.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Small Cotic Solaris?

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ too, 29.5″ inside leg, and hired a nice Trek 29er HT last week to test- I was totally fine, I think you’ll be ok.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I’m similar measurements to you. I asked the same question a while ago and ended up buying a small Lurcher. I have had to remove a few cms from the seat tube with a hacksaw for comfort but other than that it fit just fine from the box. It fits and rides just like a bike should, up hill and down dale…

aP
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ with 31″ iL and am currently riding a medium Air9 with RDO forks. I have a shortish stem but with wide flat bars and like how it rides. I am thinking about some bouncy forks to give me a bit more comfort and ride out of that-ness for certain kinds of riding. I’ve always had long bikes though as my body proportions seem to work that way.

ceepers

I’m 5’6 and I’ve stayed away from 29ers for the reasons mentioned above………..and yet it struck me the other day that my cx bike which I’m loving is essentially a rigid 29er, now I’m confused!

I kinda now think for a map crossing bike rather than a “hooning” one it might make sense!?

pugster007
    Free Member

I have had 3 x 29ers now, an Inbred (ebay £400 just to try the concept), then a Canyon Yellowstone, really fast 16″ frame, then the comfort of a Spesh Camber 29.
    The only problem I have is catching my bum on the tyre when it get either steep & techy, or sometimes when jumping ……

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Do 29ers suit small frames?’ is closed to new replies.