• This topic has 23 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by drlex.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • iPad 1 questions
  • timbur
    Free Member

I’m after an iPad to make looking at my diary easier and for a bit of surfing at home.
    Already have an iPhone but the diary is a bit small to see what I’m doing in week to view mode.
    I don’t need a sim one and don’t need a camera so would I be daft spending more than £100 on a 64gb version 1 off eBay?
    Cheers
    Tim

trout
    Free Member

Get an apple tv and your can see all that stuff on the big screen plus lots more

timbur
    Free Member

Not great on the move though :O)

Needs to be portable.

euain

iPad 1 doesn’t run the latest (or even recent) iOS versions so it’ll not integrate seamlessly with the iCloud world. You can work around most things – set them up manually etc. but you’ll need to do some work to get it all working.

I don’t think things like iTunes match or some of the sharing options will work at all. I’ve got an old one and I think calendars, mail etc are OK on it – but I had to set up server addresses manually etc.

The pre-retina screens are not nearly as nice as the later ones – but still perfectly functional.

These may not bother you and there are apple instructions for doing the setup so not too hard but be aware.

andysredmini
    Free Member

My wife had an iPad 1 up until a few weeks ago. She felt she needed to change it as it had become almost unusable.
    It’s not supported by Apple anymore and a lot of apps won’t work anymore due to being designed for the newer models.
    Even apps she already had don’t work anymore.
    I would stay well clear.

Andy

DezB
    Free Member

to make looking at my diary easier and for a bit of surfing at home

For that, it’ll be fine – but why would you need a 64gb one? Go cheap as possible, I reckon. My son still has my iPad 1, some apps aren’t compatible with it and he says its a bit laggy with Youtube, not a lot else wrong.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I’m still using an IPad1 (waiting for the new Google tablet to come out to replace it).

so would I be daft spending more than £100 on a 64gb version 1 off eBay?

Yes, the browser will crash randomly and it’s quite slow in general when surfing. It will work fine for using as a diary but is that worth £100+?

rocketman
    Free Member

Would echo the above comments. Got rid of mine over a year ago it was almost unusable online. Not worth £100 imo

zippykona

Ipad mini is £150 on ebay. I bought a first generation ipod touch. It’s frustrating the amount of apps you can’t have.

sharkbait
    Free Member

[If you keep your diary in Google] how about a Chromebook?
    Cheap, very fast ….. in fact possibly all together better.

dti

Ipad 2 is also slowed down by the new ios – usable but frustrating.

drlex
    Free Member

Echo comments made about browsing; some sites will cause the browser to crash before fully loaded or when first scrolling. On the upside, STW forums are better than using desktop (or more modern iDevice), as EpicTV not loaded…
    Fine for basic tasks – email, music or receiving non-HD video streaming, but certainly not worth £100 in my opinion. Mine’s over four years old, so feel I’ll have had value when eventually replaced.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@timbur, I have had an iPad1 since they came out, I still use it everyday. I will however replace it with an Air2 when they are released this autumn. The Air was the first model which I felt was worth changing for.

Get an iPad but a later model, ideally later than a 3

The iPad1 runs iOS5, the next release is iOS8 (so 5 is very old) and there are quite a few apps which cannot run their latest versions but email, web browing, videos/movies, bbc iplayer, icloud, productivity (PDF editor, word processor), photos etc all work well. The Safari app (or any other web brower like Chrome) does now crash quite frequently as the latest websites which have a lot of advertising are too complex for the iPad1 (probably due to RAM limit in the machine, note that separate from the 16/32/64gb storage).

My gf has the latest Mini and it runs much faster and more reliably. I prefer the larger screen but if your eyesight is good and you are quite accurate with your pointing on the touch screen the Mini is a great package.

If I could get £100+ for mine (64gb) I would probably sell it rather than give it to one of my daughters.

zippykona

Without starting world war 3 are older android devices better served than older apple?

Bregante

The lovely Mrs B will happily use technology until it’s positively prehistoric (she still hasn’t got a smart phone) , however just this week she has declared her iPad 1 as unusable online and asked for a new one for Christmas.

loddrik
    Free Member

Recently got rid of my iPad 4, don’t miss it one bit. Quite happy to alternate between iPhone and laptop, cant see me replacing it any time soon.

stumpy01

zippykona – Member
    Without starting world war 3 are older android devices better served than older apple?

Depends on the manufacturer, but I don’t think so.
    Although saying that….when I bought my GPad, everyone on various forums were moaning about it not being any good, as LG aren’t gonna update it to KitKat. Loads of reviews too, marking it down because of the same reason.

Then about 3 weeks after I got mine, I get a s/w update notification and before i know it, it’s running KitKat…..

But, will it still be supported in 3 years? Probably not. Does it matter…..dunno.
    Thing is, my Gpad only cost £160, so if it’s no longer supported in 3 years I can live with that.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I bought my wife the original iPad when it came out and she’s just been given a new one at work so passed the old one on to me.

As above its not supported by apple anymore so you can’t update it and many apps won’t load onto it as they’re built for ios7.

For surfing the net, emails, ebay etc its fine. It does crash when using safari now and again.

Not sure I’d buy one though as it’s old technology I guess.

zippykona

Surely apple should offer unsupported device owners a trade in option.

wwaswas

Tim, I think you should stop looking at a technology based solution;

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why?

timbur
    Free Member

Fat fingers are more of a problem than the eye sight thanks Luke!
    I’m still using Microsfot calender on Outlook sync’ing with the iPhone. It works for me. Does that mean I can run a Cromebook or similar? Will two differing devices talk to the same piece of software?

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above its not supported by apple anymore so you can’t update it and many apps won’t load onto it as they’re built for ios7.

The iPad1 is supported by Apple

The hardware is too old to take the latest iOS but it still works with the majority of apps and things like the latest Pages apps from Apple work perfectly with it. I can still update/synch my iPad1 via iTunes and if I buy / download an app it is shared across my other devices. Things like iMessage/iCloud inc photo sync work fine between my iOS5 iPad1 and iOS7 iPhone

drlex
    Free Member

zippykona –

Oh (not withstanding the comment about support) – they already do.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘iPad 1 questions’ is closed to new replies.