Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Dji phantom quad copter. Would you?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

As usual I’ve got much better things I could spend my money on but I really fancy one. I didn’t buy a fatbike the other week as the FD gave me the all knowing look but this may be acceptable…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

No. But only because I’ve ordered this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpC8uGJS7N4[/video]

tthew

I’d probably not go for the Phantom, or at least one with a proprietary camera, they cost a bloody fortune to replace if when you break them. Ask me how I know, all I can say is I’m glad it wasn’t my money.

Look for something with a gimbal and go-pro (or similar) set up. There’s a company in the north east called Heliguy who would give you good advice.

edit – I’m going to get one of these Micro Drone 3.0’s when they go on general sale, I want something more portable for personal use.
    Micro Drone 3.0

richmars

I did.
    Phantom 3 Advanced, about a month ago, and it’s pretty impressive. I take the point tthew made about the built in camera, but the advantage is that it all works together. The app controls the quad and the camera, the RC has buttons for the video and stills camera so it all works well together.
    Now the 4 is out there are good prices on the 3, but I don’t think I’d get the standard.

boblo
    Free Member

I had a go on a chums Phantom whatsit a couple of weeks ago. It was deeply impressive. I came at it from an RC heli perspective and it was nothing like. Very easy to fly and very very good pics.

I know nothing about drones but if that is typical, I wouldn’t hesitate if I were in the market for one.

richpips
    Free Member

We were being filmed today with a Phantom, and the footage was good, though the operator does this for a living. He was also shooting with a much more expensive drone that shoots with a 4/3 camera. He says both have there benefits.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

I have a phantom 3 standard in my basket at Hobby wow. About to click on the PayPal purchase button.
    Why no to the standard?

richmars

Why no to the standard?

Less range, doesn’t use the Lightbridge system for the video transmission. I think the controller is the old one from the Phantom 2.

Edit, Also doesn’t have the vision positioning system (but I’m not sure how useful that is outside.)

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Final question, Ill never use it inside so do you think the DJI Phantom is worthwjile at £350?

richmars

Ill never use it inside so do you think the DJI Phantom is worthwjile at £350?

I’d say it’s not really designed for inside, unless you have lots of space.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Personally I think it’s a lot of kit for 350 quids. Great review here
    [video]https://youtu.be/Nla38RC75lE[/video]

wrightyson
    Free Member

Love that fotokite, seems pricey without a camera though. Also wonder if you could tether it to a moving bike?

richmars

Also wonder if you could tether it to a moving bike?

Yes, at least the 3 advance and pro can. But it’s a slight fudge in that it tracks the controller, which needs a phone/tablet with GPS. The controller sends the GPS location up to the quad which moves. It’s on the list of things I’ll be trying in the summer, but I’m not sure how easy it is to cycle and carry the controller. You can just follow the bike manually controlling the quad position and camera pitch.
    The new Phantom 4 tracks using the camera to visually follow the object you select. (But is a bit more money!)

oldejeans
    Free Member

Phantom 4 test

[video]http://vimeo.com/159480827[/video]

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member
    Personally I think it’s a lot of kit for 350 quids. Great review here

I agree, where else have you seen it for £350? Anywhere you can suggest

Hobbyking want £50 postaje on top of the £349
    Hobby wow have it 337 but might get stung for tax on delivery

360 here but never heard of the website
    https://slrhut.co.uk/product/ID837C73/view

richmars

You also need a suitable phone/tablet.

wrightyson
    Free Member

here
    As I’m feeling generous I’ll post up the linky, it’s the last one available apparently so fill ya boots.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Richmars I was actually on about the tethered one (fotokite) being behind the bike. The best follow and film quad available is surely lily which is another quality bit of kit.

richmars

Sorry, yes the fotokite looks fun in the video. It looks like you control it via the string so may not work that well if towed by a bike.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member
    here
    As I’m feeling generous I’ll post up the linky, it’s the last one available apparently so fill ya boots.”

Thanks, are the UK based? If i wont get stung for tax ill click today

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

6 left in stock now, Thank you 🙂

AlexSimon

Do a search for simply electronics before you buy.
    Same with slrhut.
    I’m not saying dont buy, but I am saying have a read first.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Have they resolved the flyaway problem? My Phantom nearly ended up on a main road for reasons I still can’t understand. I had a solid lock, good batteries, nothing local to cause interference yet it just wouldn’t respond. I was no where near it when i took off as well (well around 600 metres away). Luckily there were some trees in the way and it got caught in them. I haven’t flown it since then as a: i didn’t want to cause an accident and b: i didn’t want to loose £600 worth of drone and GoPro!

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Do a search for simply electronics before you buy.
    Same with slrhut.
    I’m not saying dont buy, but I am saying have a read first.

Good advice, they have cancelled my order from the 23rd of March after numerous order status changes. From ready to be dispatched to awaiting stock selection and back again. Pile of shite

wrightyson
    Free Member

Shit sorry to hear that, walks away feeling guilty… 😳

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Dji phantom quad copter. Would you?’ is closed to new replies.