Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • KMC missing links-tool required?
  • toys192
    Free Member

I’m new to 11 speed, but in 9 and 10 speed I have always been able to assemble and disassemble KMC’s version of quick links by hand. I’ve just bought these 11 speed missing links and the packets says that you have to have the tools, and they are single use.

Really? Are they that different from the 9 and 10 speed ones?

jekkyl

iirc they’ve always said single use, which is utter cobblers. I’ve been using kmc chains for years. If you could only split and join once what is the point in that?
    I’m sure the tool makes it easier but I’ve always been able to split them with my hands and a bit of oomph. Can’t comment on if the 11 speed ones are any different though.

iainc

11 needs the tool to open. I think they are single use as tolerances lower etc as thinner, so reuse can increase chance of it snapping

xyeti
    Free Member

If it’s 11 Speed it’s a once in a lifetime fit, punch it out with a chain extractor and fit the new link.

toys192
    Free Member

11 needs the tool

Arse, is there another quick link in 11 speed for shimano that I can get that is trailside friendly? (IE no tools required)
    I don’t object to the single use thing, but I want to be able to fix it on the trail if necc.

ransos
    Free Member

Arse, is there another quick link in 11 speed for shimano that I can get that is trailside friendly? (IE no tools required)

You can get them off without a tool – bring the chain forward at the missing link on the chainring so it sticks out, then tap it sharply with a rock. Strictly for emergencies, though!

iainc

^^ you don’t need the tool to install them, so for a trailside fix of a broken chain it’s same as usual, chaintool to remove broken link, pop in the quicklink, bang on pedals to snap it in.

bumper
    Free Member

fold the chain into a Z on the big ring and tap them open, no need for a ‘special’ tool

xyeti
    Free Member

If your chain snaps right you won’t need a tool, mine never has but I can’t honestly remember the last time my chain snapped. even the crapest of multi tools now have an extractor on, do you ride with no tools at all?

toys192
    Free Member

^^ you don’t need the tool to install them, so for a trailside fix of a broken chain it’s same as usual, chaintool to remove broken link, pop in the quicklink, bang on pedals to snap it in.

Cool, that is all I need to know cheers.

do you ride with no tools at all?

No, I have a excellent tiny extractor in my riding kit, its just that the KMC requires two tools, one to make and one to break I just don’t fancy carrying more than necessary.
    Anyway it seems I don’t have to.

xyeti
    Free Member

Oh OK, then as everyone else says, nowt required, I went to take my chain off in Autumn to clean and de gunk in Petrol and struggled for ages with the £&%#*€$ Link, it was like being teleported back 15 years to the first time I’d ever seen one and struggled that afternoon for some time I can tell you.

I knocked the link out and then didn’t have one to put back in, I bought 4 from CRC, they aren’t cheap for what they are,

toys192
    Free Member

Aye, well as someone said, if its not reusable then I shall just have to use a chain tool to get it off.

honourablegeorge

You don’t NEED the tool, but the BBB one that opens and closes is a fiver on CRC, and first time you use it is a real “Why didn’t I get one of these before?” moment

ransos
    Free Member

Aye, well as someone said, if its not reusable then I shall just have to use a chain tool to get it off.

I doubt you’d need to do that at the trailside, and for home, just buy the proper tool – they’re cheap and work well.

BTW – I have re-used the one on my 11 speed road bike, and haven’t died.

toys192
    Free Member

You don’t NEED the tool, but the BBB one that opens and closes is a fiver on CRC, and first time you use it is a real “Why didn’t I get one of these before?” moment

HG good point, it is cheeper.

Ransos which tool do you have?

Edit

BBB is dirt cheep. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bbb-open-link-closing-link-tool-btl77/rp-prod47439

The park one is also good value if you must have blue stuff. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-master-link-pliers-mlp1-2/rp-prod109888

M6TTF
    Free Member

its a bitch to do without the tool on 11spd. as above, once you use the tool, you can’t imagine why you didn’t get one earlier

xyeti
    Free Member

Also @ Ransos, which chain? As my links both fell apart, both pins fell off the plate, and they must be made of tungsten as I couldn’t get them to flare on the edge?

Or am I doing it wrong?

Northwind

Yeah, I can usually separate mine without a tool (KMC chain and link) but it always feels like it might not… It’s nice to have the tool (I got the Superstar pair, they’re decent and cheap). They are totally reusable ime though I think maybe they say not.

I can’t see any reason I’d ever want to do this trailside so not too fussed about that

toys192
    Free Member

I can’t see any reason I’d ever want to do this trailside so not too fussed about that

just if you break your chain and want to rejoin, but as others pointed out a trail tool and a spare missing link seem to be all you need.

Northwind

Yup, do it that way and you’re left with a proper repair and a correct length chain, fix a broken chain with an existing quicklink and it’ll be too short (assuming you’re lucky and it’s close enough to work at all)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Exactly as NW, no need to ever use one of the tools on the trail.

toys192
    Free Member

well thats my plan, although I’ve lost 4 links in a chain munching issue in the past, but it does get you home.

ransos
    Free Member

Ransos which tool do you have?

Park, I think.

Also @ Ransos, which chain? As my links both fell apart, both pins fell off the plate, and they must be made of tungsten as I couldn’t get them to flare on the edge?

Shimano 11 speed chain with KMC link. I’m not a fan of the Shimano “special pin” system but the chain came with a groupset, so I didn’t want to waste it.

toys192
    Free Member

Right BBB tool ordered, thanks for your help and experience all.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

they are easy enough to split with a pair of pliers. You can reuse them. Or you can use a 10 speed link instead.

globalti
    Free Member

On an 11 speed chain?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, I think half the split links I’ve got are 10 speed. They work just fine.

globalti
    Free Member

I hope you’re right because we’ve got a few of the 10-speed links knocking around after going 11-speed on our best bikes. What are the dimensional differences? Almost nothing, I bet!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, not much in it, think the chains are about the same width. Give it a go; I’m positive it works.

globalti
    Free Member

11 speed pin length: 5.5 mm

10 speed: 5.88mm

I’d do it as a get-home bodge but not permanently.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀 a gnats chuff

Matt24k
    Free Member

The BBB tool works really well and is small enough to carry in your Camelback. I have reused my KMC 11 speed link several times with no problems even though KMC say you can’t.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve been re-using 10 speed links for years without problem on mountain and road bikes so I shall continue to re-use my new 11-speed links.

(Just fitted Ultegra 6800 11-speed to the good bike and absolutely blown away by the improvement over the old 10-speed 6700.)

toys192
    Free Member

Just fitted Ultegra 6800 11-speed to the good bike and absolutely blown away by the improvement over the old 10-speed 6700

In which what way?

xyeti
    Free Member

globalti, The “Missing Link” on a 10Sp chain is also known as a quick link, you can take these off and put them back on without a tool and with ease as many times as your little fingers will allow.

the 11 Speed link isn’t a quick link and as such is not intended to be put on and taken off at all, if you can get one off without tools can you please post a clip of how this is done?

The 10SP & 11SP work in the same principal but the 11SP cannot be removed without splitting the chain or the use of pliers.

And i’m also interested in the vast improvement as i thought feeling in the shifter is vague.

Northwind

xyeti – Member

the 11 Speed link isn’t a quick link and as such is not intended to be put on and taken off at all, if you can get one off without tools can you please post a clip of how this is done?

Can’t post a clip but it’s literally the same process as with all older quick links, just a wee bit harder. Squeeze plates together then squeeze ends together. Though as I say it always feels pretty marginal, like “OK I’ll do it this time but don’t get too used to it”, especially with thick lube or mud.

xyeti
    Free Member

Wow, i doth my cap to you, try as might i couldn’t get that link out of my SRAM 11SP chain, the way which it snapped together was almost a statent of “im not ever coming off here” i went out to the garage earlier and tried again for 10 mins and it won’t budge, My son has my old Orange 9SP thats just slipped straight out and back in again, my wife’s 10SP a bit more fiddly but off and on twice, mine there doesnt look like theres enough gap in the plate to push the pin through, the pin is wider than the gap?

I take it that it’s just mine then?

Northwind

That was with KMC, haven’t had a SRAM one so maybe they don’t work.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘KMC missing links-tool required?’ is closed to new replies.