• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by pb2.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • DIY Wireless alarms systems — feedback please
  • pb2

Back in the day we used to have a decent alarm system with the smoke detectors linked in but over the years its fallen in to disrepair.

I never got on with the annual maintenance charge or monitoring charge the insurers used to insist on but now the contents of the house are far less valuable the insurance company are more relaxed and with no job I have time on my hands to fit a wireless alarm.

I’m handy on the DIY front but I’m confused by choice and the claims and counter claims of various alarms system so any practical advice would be very welcome (whats required, whats not, whats good, whats bad etc)Thanks in advance Paul

lalazar
    Free Member

I’ve got the Yate wireless Premium with call back facility and it’s spot on. Fitted quite a few of these for customers over the years and they seem good enough for the money.

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s a doddle to fit a wireless alarm system, you do need to think carefully about which sensors you want and where to place them however.

I’ve got a Yale Smarthome alarm which wasn’t cheap but is very good with SMS notifications/arm/disarm capability. The one mentioned above is cheaper and very popular.

Kryton57

+1 for the Yale. I am a DIY Luddite but even I installed one neatly and correctly, with door sensors and pirs.

Nobby

Got 2 Yale systems one on the house and one on the garage (it’s at bottom of our garden). Both have been fine for several years & the only time I’ve really cursed either is changing the batteries in the siren up a ladder in the wind & rain – weird that they only seem to need replacing during prolonged spells of *@%$ weather. :-/

neilwheel
    Free Member

I’ve got Yale one too, at home and at parents. On sale a Screwfix at the moment.

paver456
    Free Member

Had a yale wireless for years ,easy to install and use.
    both neighbour’s have had a burglary , mine touch wood hasn’t ,they dont have alarm,

pb2

Thanks guys,I’m not one for asking for advice and then ignoring it so I will have a look through the Yale range and then pick the most suitable, onward and upward 🙂

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@neilwheel

Do you have a link please? Been looking for something for a while and hemming and hawing over it.

stumpy01

A mate of mine hastily installed a wireless Yale alarm after the neighbours got burgled and they saw a bloke the next day hiding in the crops growing in the field behind his house. One of his bike lights shone on the bloke soon had him disappearing – perhaps he thought it was the Police with a Maglite!

Anyhoo – he fitted it without and bother and is really pleased with it. I think he had to get some of the pet proof sensors as he’s got a cat, and he hasn’t mentioned any false alarms.

pb2

Quick question re Yale systems, did the Yale wi-fi clash with any other wi-fi in your house ? Like most houses nowadays our house is littered with wi-fi kit and we previously had issues with roaming hand phones and the main house wi-fi, thanks Paul

duffle
    Free Member

pb2

Thanks guys,I’m not one for asking for advice and then ignoring it so I will have a look through the Yale range and then pick the most suitable, onward and upward

…..????……..not sure this forward thinking will catch on round these parts 😉
    Cheers as I require similar I also will heed the advice given.*shudders*

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Do you mean cordless phones and wireless interference?

Most modern phones should operate in a different spectrum to your wireless router.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I must get round to fitting the wireless Yale one that I bought from Screwfix a couple of weeks ago!

The above positive feedback is reassuring 🙂

pb2

Done and already feeling better. Great Screwfix offer on the two sensor kit, even with 3 extra sensors and two remote key fobs and delivery I still have change out of £200 so top job 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘DIY Wireless alarms systems — feedback please’ is closed to new replies.