Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • DIY virgin cable repair? :0)
  • Blower
    Free Member

Yorkshire water recently went through my cable in the pavement,and before virgin had time to repair it they’d tarmaced back over it,I’ve no gotta wait 3 weeks for it to be repaired..
    Is it possible to do a temporary repair on the cable?

uplink
    Free Member
    ourkidsam
    Free Member

and one of these presumably….

Blower
    Free Member

Got the gear being a builder ;0)z

Blower
    Free Member

Cheers uplink,how come I need two of them?
    The cable feeds two houses,so is that the reason?

Diawl
    Free Member

Not quite that simple I’m afraid as the cable to your house is what’s called a Siamese. It has copper pairs for your phone and co-ax for your TV. I can’t see why you have to wait 3 weeks. That’s just not acceptable for something that wasn’t your fault. I’d get on to both YW and VM and get them to sort it ASAP.

BTW, I work for VM, but not in your area.

pjt201
    Free Member

i’d suggest you actually need double what uplink suggests and a length of good quality coax (it really does need to be quite high quality, will drastically effect performance if not) as i doubt there will be enough slack just to put a joint in place. oh and if it’s being burried i’d suggest some amalgamating tape to seal it all up.

Diawl
    Free Member

As I’ve said above, it’s not normal co-ax. It’s either RG6, RG7 or RG11, depending on how far you are from your nearest road side cabinet. Normal co-ax connectors will not fit.

uplink
    Free Member

As I’ve said above, it’s not normal co-ax. It’s either RG6, RG7 or RG11, depending on how far you are from your nearest road side cabinet. Normal co-ax connectors will not fit

Rg6 is the same size as other 1mm coax [wf/ct100 etc]& the connectors will fit OK
    rg7 is just ct125 & rg11 is ct167 – all standard coax sizes with readily available F connectors
    He should be able to at least repair the TV side of things

TBH – If I didn’t have a suitable connector, I’d probably just do a tape joint until VM came round

jonb
    Free Member

DO you have to pay if they are not providing the service?

Might hurry them up a bit.

Does seem slow. Whenever I’ve had problems with Virgin someone has been round within 48hrs.

Blower
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replys,
    Diawl,I had them VM out but due to the fact they’ve got to dig up the pavement,.they have to get permission so they said..
    It us unacceptable yes ,but trying to fund the right number seems impossible to get to the right department,

anjs
    Free Member

Hmm so wont you have to go through the same procedure to get permission before you try and dig up the pavement yourself?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘DIY virgin cable repair? :0)’ is closed to new replies.