Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • DIY Snowboard service.
  • exupmonkey
    Free Member

Lucky enough to have a few trips planned for 2016 so I’m going to have a go at servicing my board and the wifes skis, save a few pennies, unless I manage to burn a hole through the board. Got some stands and an iron already so need to get a scrapper, base cleaner, structure pads and wax so any recommendations as to what to buy and from where? Cheers.

firepoiboy

I bought the dakine service kit off eBay that had everything to get started, snow and rock do ptex and wax but you might have an Independant nearby, I found a tutorial set by the bloke below on you tube pretty good, despite the delivery.
    http://www.cubedwellerfitness.com/2012/11/ready-shred-repair-sharpen-wax-snowboard/
    No need for base cleaner, there is a school of thought that a hot wax strip is better
    I have done my board for the last three seasons, I reckon the last step of scouring/brushing makes a real difference
    Overall it’s not that hard, just takes a while and loosen off those bindings! Good luck

TheDTs
    Free Member

As said above, it’s all about the finish. Scrape right back with sharp plastic scraper then I use a green scotchbrite and a flat piece of wood and rub down the length of the ski tip to tail to finish off. You really can’t see any way left on the base.
    Every few weeks of skiing (depending on conditions) I get a gentle grind done at a shop after I have done the filling. It’s much easier than doing it by hand, especially on a board I would have thought.
    Wax and prep of skis is part of going skiing for me know. It’s the first part of the holiday, switching off from work. (Sad but true) this year though I had 7 pairs to do so that was less therapeutic.

pk13

It’s not that hard to do a basic tune the Dakine kits are ok and any small nicks can be filled with the little rods that can be brought in any colour you need. Butta wax smells nice but is not very hard wearing. It’s very rewarding tbh.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Jibtuning in Bournouth of all places sell a good kit . Waxing is super easy and really enjoyable I find . Edging is a little trickier and at the end of every season I get a base grind and proper edge tune done at the shop . Don’t bother with base cleaner , waste of money . Good luck!

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys, JiB Tuning looks like they will be getting some business. Cheers.

GrahamS

I use normal citrus degreaser as base cleaner. Worth it to get the muck and crap off if you ride late season or in domes.

GrahamS

Plenty of excellent tutorial videos on YouTube by the way.

I watch this one a lot:
    [video]https://youtu.be/YFp4X5Ivixs[/video]

exupmonkey
    Free Member

I think I’ll just get her to wax my board 😀

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Meanwhile, in Sockgate world…

Are we all aspiring to the same standard?

exupmonkey
    Free Member

You’ve lost me there TW.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Sockgate

While the cycle industry targets misogyny on one level, the snowsports industry has an underwear clad model waxing a board.

GrahamS

🙄

It’s not “the snowsports industry” TW. It’s a silly YouTube channel call EyeHandy that features tutorials on basic DIY tasks (changing a plug,fitting a ceiling fan etc) given by girls in lingerie to help you pay attention.

The misogynist “snowsports industry” version of this video looks like this:

[video]https://youtu.be/OOta3m_-VdA[/video]

exupmonkey
    Free Member

My, aren’t you a bit of an atmosphere hoover TW! I quite like those socks. 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘DIY Snowboard service.’ is closed to new replies.