Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • DIY question – electrical
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

Currently doing my kitchen at the moment, and have moved the sink 90 deg onto another wall. Consequently I have a single socket behind the sink bowl itself.

I would like to remove the socket, as legal or otherwise (?), it can’t be best practice to have a socket so close to water

So, not wanting to chase the wall and join the ring main in a junction box beneath the floor boards, I can only think of two options

1) Remove the socket, join the ring main in a choc-box and bury in the back box, re-plaster. (Im not sure of the legality of this?)

2) Fit a blanking fascia plate to the back box and leave as is.

Can the collective spread any wisdom?

Thanks,

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You will probably get the shout of get a pro in which might not be bad advice. Myself I wouldn’t want a junction anywhere near a sink so I would be tracing the ring back the socket either side and reconnecting with a single cable under the floor

a pro might well have a better idea

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Best option is to remove the socket, crimp the cables to continue the ring. Insulate the wires with heat shrink AND tape, fill the back box with expanding foam, then tile/plaster over it.

A junction box should never be used in an inaccessible area, always crimp

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Whats the legality of having wires running down a wall with no junction box to indicate their positon? They would be “out of a zone” and therefore need sheathing with channeling to stop someone drilling through them?

TJ – Point taken – but I do try and keep all my DIY above board and legal! 😉 Hence wanting to do this correctly….

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

1. Whilst not a special location, electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable. As such, it is not a DIY job.
    2. Sockets circuits in a kitchen must be protected by a 30mA RCD.
    3. DO NOT leave live cables buried in a wall with no indication that they are there.

IF you want to do some of the work prior to getting an electrician to check the work. First find one that will work with you. It may not be easy.

DO NOT assume that just because a circuit is crimped / connected in a choc box connector that the circuit is safe and fully functioning. A ring circuit, especially one in a kitchen must be fully tested. They generally carry the highest load in a house.

In short, get it done properly, tested and certified. Your house may well not be insured if DIY work fails.

uplink
    Free Member

I did it a couple of years ago by soldering + heat shrink and plastering it up before tiling over the top

spooky_b329

Fill the back box with expanding foam??!

Canned foam is flammable (goes up like a good’un) and absorbs water as its open cell.

Can’t see that being a sensible option.

TJ’s single cable between neighbouring sockets sounds like the safest option.

saladdodger
    Free Member

49er Jerry

You are right on every point therefore I have no need to comment

Thank You

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘DIY question – electrical’ is closed to new replies.