Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • DIY mudguard for Orange 5?
  • bowglie

Fed up of cleaning the crud build up of the front mech on my Five -wondered about trying to make some sort of small mudguard/mudflap on the swingarm to try and deflect the worst. Just wondered if anyone has made anything similar? (don't want to re-invent the wheel if there's an established method).
    Ta

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

speak to me – I "think" I have got the method right now. ( but not on that bike) 3 inch guttering from B&Q is thermoplastic – cut to size heat and mould to fit. so long as it ain't stressed it seems to last fine and you can custom fit it using tiewraps

Takes a fair bit of trial and error to get right but a 3 m length s only a couple of quid so you get plenty to try with

bowglie

Great stuff, ta for the info. That sounds a bit more substantial than old inner tube etc. Thermoplastic is exactly the sort of stuff I was thinking of for another ghetto 'project', so it'll come in handy for both.
    Cheers!

bowglie

oh p.s., if I get it made I'll post a couple of pics on here for info.

coatesy
    Free Member

Made one from a motorbike innertube on mine, been no trouble for about 3 yrs now, also made one to fit the down tube and protect the pivot bearings, reckon it's just about doubled their usual lifespan.

bowglie

Motorbike innertube sounds a useful material too, I'm guessing it's a bit more substantial than a bicycle 'tube.

The main problem I'm having is that I had a really brutal clear out of old 'it'll come in use stuff' from my garage when we moved house a few months ago – and of course, I now need half the stuff that I chucked out…b****y typical!

coatesy
    Free Member

Been there, done that too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘DIY mudguard for Orange 5?’ is closed to new replies.