Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ditching Eggbeaters for Shimano
  • STATO
    Free Member

Been using Eggbeaters, Candy’s and Mallets for a good few years now, servicing (ie. bearing and seal) when required. This year however all mine seem to have failed within a few months of each other, not having had time to sort them out ive been left with one working pair (my newest, Candy 2’s) which, having been swapped about and used a bit more are now also running rough, despite being only 3 months old!

TBH im getting sick of this now, service kits or stipping to regrease far too often. The springs on most of them are rattling with some worryingly so, the plastic shell on some of the candys are very worn and the mallets failed on a ride without warning (checked they were ok before the ride) so half the bearing is stuck in, so essentially out of what i have most arnt even useable now. And before anyone says it, only the newest set is in warranty.

Very tempted to go back to Shimano as the newer design looks much more mud friendly and from my experience on my commuter they are just as easy to get in/out as the eggbeater design.

Has anyone else ‘gone back’ or should i just stump up another £200 to replace my knakered beaters for sets with the new 5yr warranty?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time FTW!

z1ppy

what he ^^^ said +1

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SaxonRider

Although I just moved to flats, I have used both eggbeaters and shimano – always at the low end of the price point – and I have never had a problem with either. Not once. In 10 years of use. And no maintenance whatsoever.

STATO
    Free Member

Although I just moved to flats, I have used both eggbeaters and shimano – always at the low end of the price point – and I have never had a problem with either. Not once. In 10 years of use. And no maintenance whatsoever.

Good for you, have a cookie.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Just in the process of moving from eggbeaters to SPD. Couldn’t keep justifying the cost of rebuild kits and cleats even though I really liked them. Other advantage was being able to hop aboard other peoples bikes for a go more easily. I quickly learned that they might have the tension on their pedals a bit tighter than my new ones with new cleats though. Didn’t quite tumble…

STATO
    Free Member

Time FTW!

Had some old time Z control, nice but still suffered with mud and are poor for DH compared to Shimano or CB Mallets. Not tried the newer XC design tho.

However, to replace all my pedals/cleats would cost more than replacing my beaters!!!

singlespeedstu

After years of using CB pedals i switched back to Shimano a couple of months ago.
    I though it might take me a little time to adapt to the switch but TBH i didn’t even notice the difference when using them. What i have noticed so far though is that the pile of broken CB bearings, bushes, springs and axles in my garage hasn’t got any bigger. 😉
    Though it did cost a fair bit to replace them on all my bikes i recon it was worth it.

legend
    Free Member

poor for DH compared to Shimano or CB Mallets

Hhmmm I’d have to say the opposite there. Better mud resistance than Shimano and better reliability than both

nickf
    Free Member
    z1ppy

hmmm, wot he legend said +1 😀

I’d admit there not as good as EB’s in the frozen mud, but saying (at least old) shimano are better is down right silly.

STATO
    Free Member

Hhmmm I’d have to say the opposite there. Better mud resistance than Shimano and better reliability than bothpoor for DH compared to Shimano or CB Mallets
    Hhmmm I’d have to say the opposite there. Better mud resistance than Shimano and better reliability than both

hmmm, wot he legend said +1

I’d admit there not as good as EB’s in the frozen mud, but saying (at least old) shimano are better is down right silly.

For DH the Time Z control has a poor platform as the clip mechanism protrudes too high compared to the (minimal) platform. Sure the might be a bit better in mud than old shimano but if you NEED to put a foot down (none of your comfort dabbing the flat pedal brigade do 😆 ) then the big platform of the old DX or the Mallets is much easier to hit and ride till your clipped back in than the Z control. <personal experience BTW, had times for a few years before got Mallets.

z1ppy

that fair comment, though TBH both of the comments above where about maintenance and anti-mud clogging abilties (what the silly comment was about) not the platform.
    The anti-mud clogging for me is a huge bonus over the (old) shimano’s.

EDIT: TBH I also had both the DX and freerideZ pedals, neither platform did anything useful other than give the impression of a nice big place to put you foot… I have a freeride and ROC’s now, I could honestly say I can feel the difference when riding

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ditching Eggbeaters for Shimano’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts