Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Distance from home to work
  • smogmonster

Live in North Yorkshire, commute to Darwin/East Timor/Papua New Guinea each month for work. CTW scheme doesnt apply for some reason. Exact distance unknown..its a lot though.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Currently 7 miles on road, 6 off-road, generally bike or run it.

Anything up to about 10 miles or so is a good bike commute IMO. Racing snakes might handle a bit further – but you can always add a detour to a short ride, harder to shorten a long one!

I drove to work for a few months in my first job, just cos I didn’t really think about it…11 flat miles was an easy cycle, or 25 when I got bored with the job and wanted a longer ride!

NZCol

Normally about 13K or 32K the long way. Slight change in job focus means i now have a once every two month commute of 11,683 miles 😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

I mostly do 15miles by bike. Occasionally drive 24miles cross country

Currently looking at a job involving a 6hr flight every 28days to wipe out my mortgage quick.

woody21
    Free Member

26 miles each way, approximately 40 minutes in a morning and 55 minutes at night

tiggs121
    Free Member

12 miles each way – nice quiet roads. 15 minute drive or 40 minute ride.

anagallis_arvensis

15 miles but busy roads takes about 30-40 mins on motorbike.

oldgit
    Free Member

About 1.5 miles tops, less than ten minutes. Priceless.

_tom_
    Free Member

About 35 miles of a-road and motorway. Worth it for my job, and it’s fine when you’re used to it. I could move closer, but to be honest **** living in or near Milton Keynes, it’s somehow duller than Northants around there!

Harry_the_Spider

15 miles each way.

25 minutes most days. Average for this week is about 75 though.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

about 30ft

ononeorange

Horrified how many drive here.

24 for me, between 1.5 and 2 hours each way.

kcal

was 2 1/2 miles, then I moved house, went up to 5 1/2 miles.

Then got made redundant, and now work from home. 6 yards from back door to shed?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Will you be remunerated to reflect the increased cost of travel?

Smudger666

Depends..office in garden but customers in the far corners of scotchland.

Yesterday – 20′
    Tomorrow – ft William so 130 each way

🙂

BoardinBob

3 miles. 20 second walk to the train station, 10 minute train, 5 minute walk to the office

Dolcered

42 motorway miles each way.
    if i stay at his house its a 5 mile cycle each way.

MoreCashThanDash

12 miles, either all by car into Nottingham, or 50/50 road and cycle paths and tow paths.

In nice weather and time permitting, 18 miles entirely on tow paths and riverside paths. Passing a few nice pubs en route.

Yak

Work from home, although the 2 offices I work for are about 30miles and 200miles away.

kiwijohn

20- 35km depending on where the wife is working.

graemep
    Free Member

A mere 22 miles each way along the M62 corridor, or what I lovingly call ‘Death Valley’ due to the stupid/dangerous driving I see most days 🙁

Gary_M
    Free Member

20 miles, motorway all the way if I want (or should I say car park) apart from the first and last mile.

I only drive Tuesday/Thursday though as those are my gym days, cycle the rest of the days.

crankman
    Free Member

35 miles each way 🙁

From 2014 it will be a 0.5 mile walk 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

About 4km. Takes between 9 and 14 minutes, depending upon which lights I hit.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My current job in Edinburgh is about 3.5 miles to the office and the commute takes less than 10 minutes. My new role in London is going to be about the same distance but will be about half-an-hour by foot and public transport.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Shortest 5m

Longest 6700 miles.

Typically 35 miles each way for about 20 weeks a year.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mostly work from home. The two customer sites I do have to visit, one office is a mile away and the other less than half a mile. Going back to having a proper commute would be hard!

iainc

20 miles, motorway all the way if I want (or should I say car park)

I’ll say it for you Gary 👿

I have to drive in as use car during the day, and I sit on that darned M77 then Kingston Bridge every day – it’s the lesser of 2 evils compared with High st and Gorbals.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Fortunately I either cycle or leave the house early on gym days Iain.

I work in the gorbals and the polmadie junction for getting onto the m74 is a disaster – I just go Rtherglen/EK/GSO now.

iainc

Gary – yeah, it’s getting worse 🙁 I work up near Dales, so it’s EK, Castlemilk, Gorbals, High St in the morn and Kingston Br/M8/M77/GSO home.

drives me nuts 👿

Coyote
    Free Member

35 miles each may at the moment. All motorway, about 45 mins. In a couple of weeks it will be 15 miles each way, all A roads so about the same time wise.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I work up near Dales, so it’s EK, Castlemilk, Gorbals, High St in the morn and Kingston Br/M8/M77/GSO home.

I feel your pain. I probably cycle past you in the morning 🙂

iainc

I probably cycle past you in the morning

….quite a few people do !!

mikertroid
    Free Member

55-60 miles cross country each way. 1h15-2h00.

Currently every day but pretty soon it’ll be 1 or 2 times a week on average.

Was 5500 miles each way earlier this year-every 6-8 weeks.

footflaps

3 miles each way by bike. Was 3.5, but we recently moved to the other end of the business park!

smett72

6 miles for me. Mostly A Road (by name anyway, you’d never guess it was an A Road if you didn’t know!).

lunge

38 miles each way in the motorway mostly. Either an hour in the car or 90 mins in the train. Train is cheaper though. I try to ride back once or twice a week but my motivation is not frat at the moment due to crap weather.

thered

53 miles, 1h15m by motorway, bloody hell it’s annoying

pondo

45 miles either way, mostly M40, used to be about 45 minutes, sneaking up towards 55 now so I’m a bit over it. Tried using the train but no cheaper than the car and much more time-expensive, if that’s a term I can use.

KonaTC

I wonder if there is any correlation between home working and forum activity 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Distance from home to work’ is closed to new replies.