Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • ‘Disposable’ bike parts. Should they be labelled as such?
  • binners

Having had yet another ISIS bottom bracket bite the dust, I thought maybe they should be just sold as disposable. The dictionary definition is

dis?pos?a?ble [di-spoh-zuh-buhl]

–adjective

designed for or capable of being thrown away after being used or used up: disposable plastic spoons; a disposable cigarette lighter.

I reckon they definately fall into this catergory. I’m not moaning. They’re dirt cheap now.(£13 for a no-name one that lasted as long as any of the FSA/Race Fce ones that preceeded it) I just reckon they should be labelled as such. Shimano Chainrings fall into this catergory too. Anything else?

thepodge
    Free Member

define used.

everything is thrown away after its been used on a bike

geoffj

You’ve been mates with Hora too long 😉
    Seriously though, I guess all bike bits are disposable, it’s just that some bits are more disposable than others.

epicyclo

About the only non-disposable part on a mountainbike is the bottle cages or steel frames. I seem to have acquired about 30 odd years worth. Oh, and crap tyres last forever because you take them off the bike after one ride and then they live at the back of the shed for years.

Everything else wears out or breaks.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

So frustrating….all this stuff we throw away cos it’s lost 1-2% of it’s material 👿

AlasdairMc

Anything on a drivetrain is definitely a consumable item. Are there any uses for bike chains when they expire, other than funky belts and bottle openers?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Must be someone that needs chains to a worse tolerance than we do…..garage door openers?….machinery that rarely moves?

whytetrash

donated a load of old drive train bits to a mate…converted a gas BBQ into a hog roast works well too!

antigee

ss? (BBQ that is)

oldfart

Why can’t you buy seperate sprockets for cassettes ? it’s onlt a couple that start slipping.

uplink
    Free Member
    sofatester
    Free Member

Because Shimano’s share value would drop oldfart!

epicyclo

AlasdairMc – Member
    ….Are there any uses for bike chains when they expire, other than funky belts and bottle openers?

Friday night tool for negotiating with drunken Neds?

oldfart

uplink cheers for that worth bearing in mind.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

where did you get the £13 isis BB from?

CountZero

Of course drive-train items like chains, rings and cassettes are disposable. So are Shimano UN52 bb’s, as there is no way to service them. My RF Signature ISIS bb is anything but. It was fitted to my Hummer in March ’03, had new bearings eighteen months later, was swapped to my Inbred 567 a couple of years ago and is still running smoothly. When the bearings finally crap out I’ll get new ones fitted. The last lot cost me eight quid…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘‘Disposable’ bike parts. Should they be labelled as such?’ is closed to new replies.