Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Disc brakes for drop bars
  • Paisley
    Free Member

OK I know all the arguments about why you don't need discs on a drop bar bike etc but if I was to be looking for a set of cable operated discs for a CX bike what should I be hunting out? I have XT discs on my hardtail and although I am not expecting that kind of performance I would like something that does a decent job.

MrOvershoot

Shimano M505 Cable Disc Brake Calliper

Well that's what's on my Genesis CX bike, the work very well and seem to have loads of modulation, they don't lock up the wheel unless you really haul the lever. I guess they were designed that way for skinny tyres.
    Much better if you have to change a puncture as the rim has non of that horrible grey gunk all over it.

I think the pads are the same as your XT's as well 🙂

What frame are you using?

geoffj

Avid BB7 Road

julianwilson
    Free Member

avid bb7 road versions seem to be the popular choice round here. I'm sure someone will be along at some point to tell you about how ace they are. If they are anything like the mountain ones mrs Julian has then they will be fine.

firestarter
    Free Member

bb7 again great brakes

druidh
    Free Member

BB7's & Shimano 105 STIs on the Sutra. Perfect

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

BB7's working fine for me.

Just make sure you get the road version, as the MTB won't work very well at all

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

The BB7s are good and I use them on my Giant XTC (with Trigon Carbon Forks and drop bars) commuter/cross bike/small child carrier bike.

I have found, however, the inboard adjuster can sieze. I have had to replace one already and my front brake has just gone the same way. I do use the bike through the winter so salt on the road is an issue. Even when new the inboard adjuster is very stiff to operate (it is easier to just use a hex key instead).

They do work very well however, but if you are going to take them out in salty conditions I would recommend stripping them down before you fit them and greasing the inboard adjuster.

Regards

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Disc brakes for drop bars’ is closed to new replies.