Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Disc brakes and pannier racks
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I vaguely remember seeing pics of someone who’d managed do space out a normal pannier rack to fit round disc brakes – anyone got any pics??
    I realise theres disc racks available, but just wondering if i can use my existing one.

Panniers carry very little too, just to keep stuff of my back when commuting so i don’t think it’ll cause too much shearing stress to the bolt

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have done this successfully of several different setups. I did put a bend in the leg of the pannier rack as well

druidh
    Free Member

I managed it with just 3 small washers.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Same as Druid (almost) I got some longer bolts and a couple of thick washers and spaced the break side of the rack out. Works a treat.

(think the bits came from a Blackburn fixing kit, try SJS cycles for all that stuff)

MrTall
    Free Member

I just bought the one from Charlie the Bikemonger that’s half price at £17 with free postage. Seemed less faff and is disc brake friendly.

slugwash
    Free Member

I wasn’t able to do this with a non-disc specific Blackburn rack as it wasn’t flexy enough so did it with an old rack from the local recycling centre. I used old nuts and stuff from cantilever brake blocks.

gazc
    Free Member

few washers here too – you may need longer bolts otherwise a doddle

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

hmm, cheers. I’ve looked at the disc calipers as they don’t stick out beyond the frame (much smaller than the ones above) so it’d only need to clear the head of the bolt holding the disc brake adapter to the frame Pretty sure it will work ok.

MrTall – have you got a link to the one you bought?

bobblehat
    Free Member

This is how I did it. Still able to adjust brake pads with long handled hex spanner. 5000 miles, some damned heavy loads and not one problem ….. mainly due to the spacer being just one washer thick.

22inch Kraken as delivered.

As butchered by me!

MrTall
    Free Member

Here’s the link

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/userimages/procart38.htm

Scroll down the page to find it.

Only downside is that it’s only available in silver if that’s a problem.

AlasdairMc

Bottle cage bolts, some bending of the legs, and an old chain taken apart for the spacers (three per side).

Very easy job to do.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Disc brakes and pannier racks’ is closed to new replies.