Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • disabled parking permit abuse.
  • molgrips
    Free Member

My friend’s brother is mentally impaired and has some movement restriction, so they have a disabled badge. They pass it around the family so they can park in the convenient spaces. Plus he, whilst registered disabled, can walk about town all day no problems.

A blue badge should be used with discretion and responsibility. But those things are way beyond a sizeable section of society it seems.

project
    Free Member

Really nice to have people agreeing with me for once.

Perhaps everyone should just for a few hours spend some time in a wheelchair to see the ignorance,hatred, and stupidity shown to people with disabilities, any single one of can be struck down with a disability.

Oh and i wasnt having a go at the O/P or anyone else, just trying to show,not all disabilites are on show.

alfabus
    Free Member

People with limited or impaired mobility (which includes not only wheelchairs, but blindness, shortness of breath etc.); I have absolutely no problem with them having and using a blue badge.

Genuine question: What is the benefit of a blue badge to someone who has no mobility impairment (i.e. the aforementioned cancer sufferer, someone with mental problems who can ‘walk around fine all day’, my cousin’s boyfriend with haemophilia) ?

Are badges given out to anyone with any disability, or are there criteria?

Surely those with a genuine need would be better served by badges being given out more sparingly.

Dave

Cougar

TBH, I was wondering the same thing.

Surely the whole point of the blue badge scheme is to make life easier for people with mobility issues, rather than being blanket “disabled” badges? Someone who’s, say, deaf would be registered disabled, but can walk from the other end of a car park as easily as I can.

molgrips
    Free Member

hatred

Hatred of disabled people? Really? (genuine question)

Btw anyone see that episode of House where he lost his disabled spot to someone with much more severe disability who was in an electric wheelchair? He had to limp across the car park but she could have rolled as far as she liked with no extra trouble.

Interesting point I thought.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

One thing no-one seems to have mentioned, in all this ranting and raving, is why not go and talk to the bloke, find out why he has the blue badge? Or have people lost the ability to actually talk to others?

If he’s bona-fide, then there’ll be a reasonable explanation. If he’s taking the pee, then he’ll be on the back foot, and either have to change his behavior or risk getting into trouble.

And if you’re too scared to go and talk to him, then maybe get a big mate to do it for you?

Pfft. Can’t stand custardly behaviour. Either MTFU and go and talk to him, or STFU and mind yer own business, innit?

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Bl*8dy hell! find myself in total agreement with Elfinsafety.

I’ll get me coat………

alfabus
    Free Member

I don’t disagree with elf, but we have moved on a long way from the OP.

Should registered disabled people without mobility problems be given blue badges?

BoardinBob

If someone’s so disabled they need a special parking space, should they really be in charge of a ton of metal at 70mph?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

find myself in total agreement with Elfinsafety.

I don’t disagree with elf

It’s the only true path forward. Embrace the Truth, for it shall seek you out eventually.

wwaswas

It’s often not the person with the badge driving BoardingBob.

alfabus
    Free Member

If someone’s so disabled they need a special parking space, should they really be in charge of a ton of metal at 70mph?

too many shades of grey in that to give a yes/no answer; plenty of people who can drive perfectly well have a gammy leg and can’t walk for more than 10m.

Dave

zippykona

Ok person in question has very limited English his brother does the talking. To go poking my nose in could be damaging for my business.
    Village politics and all that.
    He has just been up a ladder and was last seen walking easily carrying 4 wedding suits in each hand.
    As I said earlier, its not like he is robbing me of a parking space but other people seem to be impaired and in need more than him.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

BoardinBob, imagine asking that question to some of our paraolympians? Dave Wear would be a good one to start with…….

Taff
    Free Member

Father in law doesn’t get tired driving but he did nearly collapse in Tesco when there were no spaces left and he had to park the other end meaning quite a long walk

If the badge isn’t being misused, then they’ll investigate and take no action, non?

You can be re-investigated to see whether you are still entitled to all you have at this stage which is why my father/mother in law nearly lost their disability car.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

The advice to MTFU and go talk to him is tosh. You only have to think about the possible outcomes.

1. He is disabled and deserves the badge. Disabled guy now feels the OP is an interfering git.

2. He is not disabled. The OP reports him to the people he would have reported to anyway. Whatever would have come of that happens anyway, except now there is bad feeling from the miraculously recovered disabled guy.

There is no outcome that could be better for anyone than if the OP just makes his call to the relevant authorities.

MTFUing is how wars start.

How about GTFU (grow the …. up) instead.

Cougar

You can be re-investigated to see whether you are still entitled to all you have at this stage which is why my father/mother in law nearly lost their disability car.

Presumably if they had lost it it would be because they weren’t entitled to it? But seemingly they were entitled and didn’t lose it. So it’s all good.

Finding it difficult to see an argument here that isn’t “but the nasty council might take away something we’re not entitled to.”

Cougar

The advice to MTFU and go talk to him is tosh. You only have to think about the possible outcomes.

There is, in fact, only one possible outcome. “Mind your own farking business, mate.”

higthepig
    Free Member

Used to be able to buy the blue badges in a couple of pubs I frequented a few years ago, presume now they are more tightly controlled……………

sc-xc

Got outside and the usual bmw chav, was moving out of a disabled space

NEVER TAKE DISABLED OR MOBILITY IMPAIRED PEOPLE AT FACE VALUE, DISABILITIES COVER A LOT OF ILLNESSES AND MEDICAL CONDITIONS, AND THEYRE NOT ALL WRITTEN ACCROSS THE FOREHEAD FOR IGNORANT BYSTANDERS TO SEE.

😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s not, and I’ll explain why:

Talking to other people is actually quite helpful in getting to know them, and what they’re all about. Notice I din’t say ‘steam over there and demand to know why he’s using a disabled badge when he appears not to be so’, did I?

So.

Start off with a friendly chat. Be ‘neighbourly’. I find this approach leads to being able to obtain far more information than being a curtain-twitcher.

And quite often, there’s ‘grey area’ stuff what don’t make things look quite so binary. If you don’t know someone, how can you expect to know the real reasons behind what they do?

See? Making sense now?

Elfinsafety: Building bridges and forging community relations since last week.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Bloody hell – has someone taken over Elfinsafety’s login?

That’s definitely some common sense 😉

GrahamS

Start off with a friendly chat. Be ‘neighbourly’. I find this approach leads to being able to obtain far more information than being a curtain-twitcher.

Like it. Appear friendly, gain his trust, and then stab him in the back.

More neighbourly innit? 😉

Taff
    Free Member

Presumably if they had lost it it would be because they weren’t entitled to it? But seemingly they were entitled and didn’t lose it. So it’s all good.

Finding it difficult to see an argument here that isn’t “but the nasty council might take away something we’re not entitled to.”

Problem is the council need to save money and they were entitled to stuff but since the rules changed recently if there’s an ability to save money they will take it. Despite both inlaws needing disability aids they both say that they aren’t disabled and try to to do anything they can to not take the mickey which is they’re downfall at times as they only say that when they are fine which is about 50% of the year. I’m only saying this as it’s stuff I have found out from my mrs’ work as that’s her area.

That said there are still people who are just lazy and reap the benefits of disability aids like a neighbour who has a scooter and uses as a taxi to take her kids to school then goes and then goes and digs over her front garden. I’ve not spoken to her either, don’t know the extent of her issues so not going to shop her in.

project
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

hatred

Hatred of disabled people? Really? (genuine question)

Interesting point I thought.

Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

Quite a few people show obvious hatred for the disabled, especuilly ones with downs, or learning difficulties, and as for aspergers and schizophrenics, they just dont want to be near them,probably incase they drool on them.

sc-xc – Member

Got outside and the usual bmw chav, was moving out of a disabled space

NEVER TAKE DISABLED OR MOBILITY IMPAIRED PEOPLE AT FACE VALUE, DISABILITIES COVER A LOT OF ILLNESSES AND MEDICAL CONDITIONS, AND THEYRE NOT ALL WRITTEN ACCROSS THE FOREHEAD FOR IGNORANT BYSTANDERS TO SEE.

Posted 38 minutes ago # Report-Post

But did he own or was displaying a bluie badge, with the relevant picture of the owner on it,

NO, so ilegally parked.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Good mate of mine has one! Fell of motorbike at oulton park, spent 30 mins in the tyre wall before being airlifted to hospital. Close to death, broken pelvis, hip, ankle, and bad internal bleeding. Now has one leg shorter than the other by an inch and some gammy blood clot filter they forgot to remove and now can’t! How we chuckled when he mentioned using it as we pulled into Cannock Chase car park the other day. Didn’t bother as it said you still had to pay 😉

zippykona

So the badge needs a picture does it? As the person in question doesn’t have one. Would the traffic wardens be clued up on this or are there different kinds?

aracer
    Free Member

Quite a few people show obvious hatred for the disabled, especuilly ones with downs, or learning difficulties, and as for aspergers and schizophrenics, they just dont want to be near them,probably incase they drool on them.

Sadly nimbyism is alive and well round here:
    http://www.malverngazette.co.uk/news/9190885.Powick_residents_discuss_autism_home_plan/
    if you can’t be bothered to read the comments, the irony is that we live on the site of an old mental hospital (and something that isn’t mentioned there, the remnant of the hospital is a plant nursery which provides work for mentally ill people within 200m of there – maybe they’ve not noticed them as they’re so unobtrusive).

molgrips
    Free Member

they just dont want to be near them,probably incase they drool on them.

Not the same thing as hatred though is it?

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘disabled parking permit abuse.’ is closed to new replies.