Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Directional chain lube…
  • funkynick

Do you think there is a market for it as *cough* it makes your bike faster?

:oD

BigDummy
    Free Member

Trouble is, you'd always interfere with the lube's natural resonance when you back-pedalled, and that might cause chain-skip. The practical benefits are very obvious on track bikes, but I don't think the advantages justify the costs on the road or trail.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Sounds like a plan!

Let's call it "Snake oil"

I'd buy some as long as it was muchmore expensive than normal chain lube.

grumm
    Free Member

I like to magnetise my chain lube before application – I find I am 10-20% faster on average.

Junkyard
    Free Member

GRumm Positively or negatively ?

Personally I prefer echinacea oil or perhaps Tee tree.

glenh
    Free Member

lol

grumm
    Free Member

Positively of course, negatively would make you go slower.

It's funny though, when I time myself, there doesn't seem to be any actual difference, but I KNOW for a fact that I am going faster.

stumpyjon

Personally I prefer to run my chain lube 1 second out of sync with reality, that way I'm always ahead of myself (into the future obviuosly).

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are you sure you are paying enough that might be where you are going worng?
    Perhaps if they pre magnetized the chain and realligned all the atoms in it at production it would work better?
    I would certainly pay £500 per chain for such apseudoscientific product

twohats
    Free Member

Directional chain lube! I've not heard of this yet, where can I get some?

Irish_AL
    Free Member

is there an enviromental friendly version in the planning? add a few quid to the price by making it organic? ride faster save the planet 😉

grumm
    Free Member

The magnetising process I use coats the chain in ergocentric eco-particles which actually absorb and destroy carbon monoxide – the faster you pedal the more it removes from the environment.

Well worth £300 per ml imo.

I_Ache
    Free Member

If you negatively charge chain lube and positively charge your frame then you totally eradicate chain suck.

Fact

Olly
    Free Member

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/power_wheel.html

as sheldon brown pointed out, if you take out half of the spokes that are pulling the wheel backwards, but leave in all the spokes pulling you forward, you will go 33.3% faster….

IanMunro
    Free Member

I've been using a dirt filter on my tyres which eliminates most of the grubby stuff before it reaches the tyre. The effect is low end edgewise grip space is quite sublime.

coffeeking
    Free Member

All lubes are directional, I thought everyone knew that. I've always tipped the bottle up in the shop to hear the tone it makes in each direction, I only buy lubes that allow the chocolatey mid-strokes to flow easily.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

What!!! You can oil chains.

elliptic
    Free Member

My bike cost £11,000 so directional lube makes a big difference. Expert bike design engineers say it's all just a big scam. But what they haven't taken into account is… I've got absolutely no idea how science explains gravity.

Which proves I must be right! 8)

bigyinn
    Free Member

What happens if you put directional lube on the wrong way on a unidirectional chain?

coffeeking
    Free Member

bigyinn – all hell breaks loose, you don't even want to go there. You'll blow your knees just looking at it due to the impedance mismatch 😀

tankslapper
    Free Member

KY works for me

Irish_AL
    Free Member

sorry guys looks like Cane Creek have beaten us to it using it in their seat posts 🙁

– Telescoping aluminum housing with chromoly shaft and bushing
    – 50mm travel 3-piece MCU spring with 25mm of preload adjustment
    – Patented Anti-Swivel system eliminates side-to-side play
    Directional lube system allows lubrication without disassembly
    – Maximum insertion 140mm from seat rails to top of seat tube. 390g

Irish_AL
    Free Member

which begs the question what would happen then if you replaced your fox fluid in your forks with such a directional lube?

funkynick

Excellent… I see some of you sucke*cough* discerning customers are already aware of this most amazing of products…

Although I'd like to point out, we do not magnetise the lube… Castrol have got that market sown up on their own! ;o)

The directional oil is made by adding a tiny shavings of chainrings and then diluting it many times… it uses a property which I can't explain called 'oil memory'. Although this might not do anything at all, we can't measure it, but once we have bottled it, it is then easy to tell the directionality of the oil… although how we do this would be telling.

:oD

grumm
    Free Member

Directional lube system allows lubrication without disassembly

That means if you drop the saddle you can't put it back up again.

scuttler

I know this thread's origins but the irony is most of us will have bought some overpriced bike shit at some point because of some perceived as opposed to actual benefit – that is, a benefit to mere mortals and not race gods. But if it makes you feel more gnar or faster…

This would obviously be an inappropriate place to suggest the role of the media here.

Now i'll have some of that directional oil please. Where from?

M

Olly
    Free Member

chris king BBs have that dont they?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Castrol have got that market sown up on their own! ;o)

Magnatec uses, IIRC, ester-based oils which have polar molecules and do actually stick to metals more than normal oils (a bit like how oils try to evade water), so that's a fair product naming (with a little marketing jaunt). "polarised moleculatec" wouldn't quite evoke the same mental image 🙂

Taz

I was about to go for a ride but now I can't as I simple must have this product or my riding experience will be poor to say the least.

Please hurry and bring it to market and make sure it is not cheap! (credit card in hand)

tankslapper
    Free Member

Don't we need a new name for the 'product'?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Directional chain lube is so yesterday.

Those clever guys at Shimano have now discovered that one of the jockey wheels rotates clockwise, and the other rotates anticlockwise. They are releasing onto the market in January 2010 multi-directional chain lube which will flow both ways, so speeding up jockey wheel rotation.
    Deore lube is £40 for 10 fluid ounces
    XT lube is £80 for 10 fluid ounces
    XTR lube is £4,327 for 10 fluid ounces.

They are already on back order, and XTR lube is sold out until at least September next year. It's reckoned that it will knock at least 0.0143 seconds off a lap of NFT in Grizedale.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Scuttler – has a point there, but one of my machines does give me more Gnar and one is feels faster and thats why I ride them!!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I'm currently developing a new chain lube that contains over 95% added chaincleanium, Nutrileum and Pentopeptides which make it really ummm good. During testing 8 out of 10 chains said they prefered it.

theotherjonv

This all sounded like BS to me. However, as a proper scientist, with a lab coat and everything, I have taken it upon myself to evaluate the claims made using a series of experiments devised after extensive research on the web.

My conclusion is that nothing I have found actually refutes the claims being made, and while my experiments have yet to prove them true I see no reason to disbelieve the marketing folks at this point.

If you want to include the claim 'Not unrecommended by a proper scientist' on the marketing literature, please feel free.

higgo
    Free Member

I know this thread's origins but the irony is most of us will have bought some overpriced bike shit at some point because of some perceived as opposed to actual benefit

Braided hoses.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you negatively charge chain lube and positively charge your frame then you totally eradicate chain suck.

Fact

Sorry, not quite correct, the devil is in the detail: Opposite poles attract, so that would CAUSE chainsuck, even when stationary. You need to positively charge both CHAIN and FRAME, so they repel each other, to avoid chainsuck. (A negative charge on both will slow you down too much)
    Only THEN use a negative charged directional chain lube that will stay put on the positively charged chain and improve speed further

I thought EVERYONE knew that. Sheesh. **slaps forehead**

jond
    Free Member

I'm surprised none of you lot haven't heard of non-causal chain wax..the dirt falls off before you've even arrived at the puddle that the dirt came from.
    Or comes from.
    Or will come from.

Err…whatever….I've read on some internet forums that it's really really good tho'….

nickc

You realise that none of you are going to get a Christmas card from Mr Woppit, don't you…

miketually
    Free Member

You realise that none of you are going to get a Christmas card from Mr Woppit, don't you…

He wouldn't send a Christmas card anyway. He's a rationalist and only believe things that are proven, or shiny.

IanMunro
    Free Member

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Directional chain lube…’ is closed to new replies.