Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Dining out……..robbing barpersons!
  • ton

been into leeds this afternoon/teatime, spot of shopping and a couple of shandies with the wife and kids.
    had a look at the menu’s in various pubs, all the same generic dross to be honest
    beer battered haddock and chips £12.50
    beef burger with double fried chips and relish £9.99
    pork pie and pea £4.50
    and the crème de la crème, continental meat/cheese board £11.95

where do these price come from, seriously who the heck would pay 12 quid for fish and chips or a bit of ham chorizo and cheese on a plate?

fish and chips in the best chippy in leeds is £4.50, it takes 2 people to produce, just like a pub does, 1 to cook 1 to serve, where does the other £8 come from?

robbing barpersons……….. 😡

njee20
    Free Member

Burger in one of our locals is £16, that’s just the burger, chips are extra. It was good, not that good!

Gotta love southern prices!

crikey
    Free Member

Tha payin’ for th’ambience, tha knows. 😉

heavyman
    Free Member

Get tae Wetherspoons or Beefeater 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Double fried chips ? so thats reheated leftovers !!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Aye, Wetherspoons. Went to the 3 Hullats in Chapel Allerton tonight, HUGE portions, guest cask ales, family of 4 cost £30 including drinks. It is the greatest pub in Leeds.

remoterob
    Free Member

Cost of the plates, cutlery, chairs, tables, heating, cleaning, dish washing, rent and maintenance of a premises much larger than a chippy for people to sit in.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Spoons in Lowestoft do some good food for the money. Actually it was good full stop. 2 pints of ruddles for £3.90 too! They even let me bring my bike in as I’d left the lock at work. Pretty good all in all. Interestingly though they claim to be a freehouse. I cannot see how this can be if it’s a ‘spoons pub?

ton

Cost of the plates, cutlery, chairs, tables, heating, cleaning, dish washing, rent and maintenance of a premises much larger than a chippy for people to sit in.

COBBLERS, offset by massive bulk discount buying through the brewery.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

They need to charge that much to compensate for being stiffed by the brewery.

seavers
    Free Member

where does the other £8 come from?

Where did you go? I guess if it is in the town center, overheads? I agree it is a lot for what it is.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You know what to do, Comrade!

Get to Gregg’s!

ton

They need to charge that much to compensate for being stiffed by the brewery.

not at £3.50 a pint they don’t
    and the chip shop is in leeds city center too
    plain and simple jumping on the real ale bandwagon and ripping people off.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

The Spoons I was in had this for £2.15 a pint, in Leeds city centre it would have been £4+

http://www.elysianbrewing.com/elysian-beers/avatar-jasmine-ipa/

trail_rat
    Free Member

Brewery run pubs are like petrol stations. High headline prices minimal profit on the pint.

If you want expensive food – try france – although asking for the french menu stops that someplaces 😉

I love eating out back in my home town – use to aberdeen prices of 15-20 quid for a decent feed – go home and get 2 meals for that:)

Edric64
    Free Member

Where did you go? I guess if it is in the town center,

Was priced in £ not $ so not a town center !

somafunk

Having friends who own and run their own “independant/self owned” pubs/restaurants I was going to post something bout Weatherspoons and their ilk when it comes to serving food and beer (or what passes for food) but i’d be perceived as a food snob so i decided against it.

I know the costs involved in running an independent bar/restaurant serving quality cuts of locally reared and slaughtered meat and fresh seafood with a locally traceable provenance, one mate has his own farm that supplies his own restaurant and another mate selects from the local fishing boats and from catch to being served less than 12 hrs later – it ain’t cheap – if you don’t care about food then go ahead…choose weatherspoons and their sort but you’re paying for mass produced slurry dressed up as food.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Soma, not all Spoons are the same, ours is genuinely decent food.

Houns

Norverner/Yorkshireman complaining about costs of things shocker

Edit.

I must add I was very dubious about Whetherspoons food especially their breakfasts (well mainly more concerned about the clientele in there at breakfast time)
    However, I found myself in the local ‘spoons a couple of weeks ago for breakfast. And I have to say I was shocked at the experience. Food was great and there were no drunks or druggies in (11am). I had eggs Benedict and a brew for £4.29 (or there abouts, can’t remember exactly)
    The eggs Benedict was much better than my usual spot, a independent French restaurant down the road, I will certainly go back there for breakfast again

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not true ben – its not possible. It might look good an taste ok – doesnt make it – “good food” but for the $$ you cant complain – you get what you pay for.

Like macdonalds i treat weatherspoons like a known baseline food when im in a new town and cant see anything that takes m fancy

ton

if a pub does genuine good quality food, I don’t mind paying for it, but the pub food off these ‘same in any pub’ menu’s is cheap to produce, cheap to buy crap, yet the charge a fortune for it.

proper gets my gander up……. 🙁

tinybits
    Free Member

I’m with soma. Any weather spoons I’ve been into has been shite and full of the town freaks and scummers.

I’ll happily pay more for food!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Trail_rat, how does it work then? Our local has a CAMRA award, different beers every week, different menu to the branded Wetherspoons in the city but is owned by Wetherspoons.

binners

Talking to the landlord of my local, he was telling me that he can’t buy beer off the brewery for the price that Weatherspoons are selling it at! They just can’t compete. And they make sod all profit on beer, as they’re all being royally screwed over by the breweries! Doing food is pretty much the only way to keep a boozer afloat

Ton – you should come over to Rammy mate. Pub down the road does the best homemade pies you’ve ever tasted, with a big plate of proper chips for a lot less than 12 squid. My poor waistline 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

So what your saying is its not a weatherspoons.

Quite enjoyed the food and microbrewed beer at the moulin 2 weeks ago. Wasnt astronomic cost either 20 quid for 2 mains of propper grum an 2 pints

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

It’s definitely a Wetherspoons, but you really wouldn’t know it

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-three-hulats

PMK2060

I only go to pubs to drink. Eating is cheating!

trail_rat
    Free Member

If they havnt stuck their name on it its not a weatherspoons. They are obviously trying to attract a different clientel to a pub they happen to own – its a good thing for you though 🙂

ton

a boozer in the village where I live has recently been taken over by ossett brewery. the pub was on it’s arse, proper dump, smell, dirty seating, decorated in 1982.
    it has had a full refurb, nice and comfy now, nice big outdoor area with seating, heck even sky sport on the big screen.
    pub is packed fri/sat/sun and busy Mondays with a poker group, and Wednesday with a quiz night.
    the beer is sublime, £2.40 a pint of Yorkshire blonde, a whole £1 cheaper than when it was a dump selling smoth keg dross.

pubs do not need to rip folk off to stay open, they need to sell good beer, and good food at a sensible price.

smell_it
    Free Member

Ton – which chippy is it? Sorry to go off topic, but I’m in Leeds next week and think great fish and chips are one of the finest things in life 🙂

ton

smell-it, chippy is graveleys or now called the fishermans wife.
    it is on the left hand side of the leeds market house.

smell_it
    Free Member

Lovely, you’re a gent.

Coyote
    Free Member

pubs do not need to rip folk off to stay open, they need to sell good beer, and good food at a sensible price.

This. The Millstone near where I live manages to do it. Decent cask ales, changed regularly and a fantastic tapas menu. It’s popularity proves the point.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’d rather buy from Wetherspoons than any of the predatory bastard pubco’s who’s business model concentrates around diddling people out of their redundancy/retirement lump sums by taking them on as landlords and then stiffing them on the rent and beer price!

northernerindevon

Minor point – a genuine proper pub should in no way include a big screen TV, let alone one showing Sky Sports. That’d be my cue to jog on and find an alternative. YMMV…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of ‘Spoon’s Veggie burgers 🙂 As a meal it’s fairly balanced and at £6 with a pint it’s great.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Rang up the local sarny shop for a bacon egg and sausage roll yesterday. $10. I told them to forget it. Food and beer can be bloody pricey here in Oz and don’t get me started on the “chippys” – they use oven chips and cook everything when you order so Friday nights are crazy busy just for a chippy tea!

boxelder

Pubs use better ingredients, for example their potatoes are often King Edwards or Jersey Royals – you know Royal varieties. Chippies on the other hand use Alan Greens or Jonathan Agnews – you know common taters……………….

tinybits
    Free Member

I’m quite surprised that it seems like some are expecting a pub to sell fish and chips at the same price as a take out chippy. The costs in the food may be the same, but the difference in running the premises are hugely different. Pubs that do cheap food manage it mainly due to the fact it’s exactly that, cheap.

compositepro
    Free Member

unpretencious nobber being ripped of by city that caters for pretentious nobs shocker

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Dining out……..robbing barpersons!’ is closed to new replies.