Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Dilemma – not sure I did the right thing
  • rascal
    Free Member

Heading back home down a dimly light leafy lane on bike earlier and at the last second I saw a squirrel dart out of the banking – no time to react and felt the back wheel catch it. Yanked the brakes on and turned around to see to spinning around in some distress. Dumped bike down and walked over thinking ‘shit what have I done?!’. It was thrashing about and made it to the opposite bank with blood all over one of its front paws and gurgling on blood. My first instinct was to put it out of its misery – I had my foot over its head as by now after a few mins it was shallow breathing and seemingly seconds from dying. It carried on for another 5 mins and again I had my foot poised. I just couldn’t do it but felt like I had to stay with it – I locked for a big rock as that seemed less brutal than ‘feeling’ it via my foot. Apologised and left it. Felt like shit. What would you have done? Death was inevitable – next time I think it will it a swift rock to make it quick

scotroutes

Grey? Kill on sight.

jam-bo

If you kill it, you should eat it.

rascal
    Free Member

Grey – aren’t all squirrels kinda cute though?

bearnecessities

Ah, don’t worry about it chap. Mercy killing is still killing, and if that comes naturally to anyone, then more the pity for them.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Grey? Kill on sight.

You won’t go far wrong with this advice.

Bludgeon it to death, take it home and hang it up in your porch, or on your garden fence. Killing a grey is something to be proud of. Take a photo of it and send it to the RSST; they’ll probably send you a medal in the post.

ticsmon

Run over it again

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

It would be kinder to kill it. We’d do the same for you

Rubber_Buccaneer

Mount it’s head on your stem and wear it’s tail hanging off the back of your helmet sort of like Davey Crockett.

nickc

Grey? Kill on sight.

Is not going to make red squirrels come back.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Well it would seem that I’m condemned to hell by some people along with many others that can mercy kill with no hesitation/regret. 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s breathing a sigh of relief in its little squirrel heaven as we speak. Well done for manning up and doing the right thing!

wicki
    Free Member

Your a good person dont sweat it to much.

hora
    Free Member

Evening. On a ride once another rider clipped a bunny. We all sadly agreed and one rider wrung its neck.

If you took any joy in killing an injured animal I’d worry. Doing nothing isn’t quite right either.

nuke

Ive read OP a couple of times but cant quite figure the conclusion: did you finish it off quickly with your foot? If so, you did the right thing as I’d hate to leave an animal/bird suffering a lingering death…still remember having to finish off a wood pigeon with my foot 🙁

dirtyrider
    Free Member

you watched it die for more than 8 minutes?

sadistic ****

Marin
    Free Member

Kill it. But if you can’t don’t worry about it.

Xylene
    Free Member

I thought I felt something earlier

mjsmke

It was unavoidable so nothing you could do. Feeling bad shows your a decent human being.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A lad I went to school with once tossed off a rabbit and then killed it; for fun.

Coincidentally, he now rides mountain bikes…..

zero-cool
    Free Member

It would have been kinder to stop it’s suffering. But there’s nothing wrong with being unable to kill something.

Tom KP

bearnecessities

A lad I went to school with

Yeah, yeah 🙂

senorj

tossed off a rabbit

!!!!!!!
    I always knew you Barrow lot were deviants ,but bunny abuse!!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😆 😆

imnotamused
    Free Member

I once ended the life of a very battered mouse who’d been mauled by my cat by taking it out onto the drive during a thundery, wet night. When the brick came down on it it popped and splattered its entrails over my work shoes.

Not pleasant at all.

If anyone had seen me I’m pretty sure they’d have called the police. It was like something out of a horror film.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

My cat recently brought me a half dead magpie.

Leaving it wasn’t really an option and it clearly wasn’t going to get better.

Picked up a brick and made a mess of my patio. Had magpie brain on my toe 🙁

aracer
    Free Member

If I’m reading that correctly you had a grey squirrel held captive and then released it. You’re a criminal.

Speshpaul

“nickc – Member
    Grey? Kill on sight.
    Is not going to make red squirrels come back. “

Its worked on Anglesey. Now Grey Free.

joat

Squirrels, not the brightest things are they! Chopped a tree down last week, the day after, one still attempted to leap on to it from its neighbouring tree despite it not having been there for 24 hours. I guess this is how flying sqirrels evolved, this one did scamper off however as it had the good fortune to land on soft ground.

Speshpaul

Dude people have drive cars in to the sea because their satnav told them to.

porter_jamie
    scotroutes

Ooh – we have a self-confessed crim on STW.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Ooh – we have a self-confessed crim on STW.

Lets hope he doesn’t get sent down; don’t think he’ll last long inside…..

“what’re you in for?”

“crying at a squirrel.. ”

teamslug
    Free Member

I did 3 laps of sherwood pines this afternoon. Last one was as it was getting dark. There must have 25 grey squirrels on one section of trail all trying to force me off my bike…it deserved to die!.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Dilemma – not sure I did the right thing’ is closed to new replies.