Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dilemma
  • grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Just received a cheque out of the blue from those very nice tax people.
    No covering letter or explanation, just a cheque.

What do I do:

1. Spend quick on bike gear?
    2. Keep it & wait for the even bigger tax demand

tough one this

Gooner
    Free Member

if you have done a tax return recently check it – carefully.
    a few years ago i got a large rebate but when i checked my recently submitted tax return i realised that i had forgotton to put my company car and fuel on as a benefit!

the cheque had to be returned

mikey74
    Free Member

I’d phone them up and ask them what it’s all about – only way to know for sure.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sofatester
    Free Member

I second what mikey74 said ^^^^

woody2000

Conversely I’ve found ringing the tax office the only way to NOT be sure of anything. Peanuts/monkeys spring to mind 😕

Apologies to anyone who works for HMRC 😀

sofatester
    Free Member

True, good point.

I should know, im a monkey fed on peanuts. Not for HMRC though!

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Gooner

I don’t fill in tax returns, just PAYE. No company car or bike. No idea why I’ve got.

Think I’ll call em prior to blowing it on some cool kit. 😆

woody2000

🙂

nicko74

Pay it in, wait for a coupla months; if you don’t hear anything, fillyer boots!

dave_h
    Free Member

I’d phone them up and ask them what it’s all about – only way to know for sure.

Then ask them to confirm it all in writing. I’ve been down this loop with the tax man – was told everything was fine and the money was mine, only to be told 10 months later that it was wrong and I needed to refund the money, which I’d spent. The call I had placed had absolutely no bearing at all, even though I’d recorded times, names, etc.
    It was a reasonably significant amount of money too, which caused me no end of grief. There’s no option to repaying the money, they’ll take great delight in sending the heavy boys in to take your TV away (to paraphrase one unhelpful HMRC employee).

Pay it in, wait for a coupla months; if you don’t hear anything, fillyer boots!

Change coupla months for a coupla years.

If it’s a significant amount of money and you’ve got the willpower then stick it in a savings account and leave it for a few years.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dilemma’ is closed to new replies.