Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Dilema: XBOX One or PS4….
  • alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Hi all,

Just purchased a nice 4k Samsung ?

Looking at buying a console to play games & play DVD’s.

Which one to buy?

Looking at PS4 Pro or XBOX S 1T…..

legend
    Free Member

Whatever one your mates have

tomhoward

What legend says

myti
    Free Member

Which format are you used to? We just got an xbox and loving it so far.

dannybgoode

I’ve just bought a PS4 Pro. Pondered long and hard over which made me a) the least worse parent and b) which had the games/features I wanted.

Unless you have a specific exclusive game in mind and/our friends who one or the other then either will do what you expect although I should note that the PS4 Pro will handle 4k games the best-at the moment.but true 4k games are few and far between currently.

Daffy

If you want to play any older games, there’s no backwards compatibility (at all for PS3) on PS4.

dannybgoode

If you want to play any older games, there’s no backwards compatibility (at all for PS3) on PS4.

Although a lot of ps3 games are available on PSN and will run on the ps4 via a download accordingly.

Drac

PS4 Pro is true 4k, more powerful and not just rebaged machine with S on the end. The Xbox One S is the only one with a 4k Blu Ray though.

So do you want a 4k games machine or an upscaling games machine that can play 4k Blu Rays.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I bought a PS4 slim last week. I’ve not owned a PS since the PS2. I am most impressed, but I am a really casual gamer Lego Star Wars FTW!!!

donks
    Free Member

Our Xbox one is terrible. The controllers constantly disconnect from the console…. Even when cable connected!! It’s got so bad the kids won’t even play with it any more and just use the older Sony machine.
    I tried Microsoft but it seems they don’t give a shit and the Xbox forum is full of folk grumbling about the same issues.

Anyone fancy a second hand Xbox one with loads of games?

Daffy

Ive got an XBOX One, PS4 and PS3 – the PS4 is nice, quiet and largely fuss free with nice light controllers that last ages on their tech arable battery. The Xbox has a nice interface and the voice control is excellent and easy to use. I don’t think the controllers are as comfortable, they’re heavier and go through battery like my car goes through fuel (3lt petrol), but they do have a much more powerful vibrate which is actually more useful than you might think during games, it’s almost another dimension.

I’d say all of these require a VERY good internet connection. I went to play Halo 5 recently and the console needed a 5gb update and the game a 37gb one…even on 40mb broadband that’s almost 6hours.

MrPottatoHead

Xbox One and and EA Access subscription. It is astonishingly good value if you like the list of games currently available.

Cougar

Our Xbox one is terrible. The controllers constantly disconnect from the console

Has it ever been online? First thing mine did out of the box was a firmware update on both controllers.

Cougar

As for PS4 vs Xbox One,

Fanboyism aside, here’s not a vast amount between them for most practical purposes. The biggest compelling reason to pick one or the other is to get what your mates have so you can play online together.

The One is backwards-compatible with an ever-increasing library of 360 titles, if that’s of any interest to you (Red Dead Redemption FTW). Both have a few platform-exclusive titles. The PS4 is nominally more powerful but the One has the ability (which no-one seems to be using) to use cloud computing.

allan23
    Free Member

Got an XBox One, had XBox since the original as I preferred the games over the Playstation offerings.

Interface on the XBox One isn’t great, everything is just a bit busy. Games play well and not seen any of the controller issues mentioned above.

Rechargable AA batteries seem to last longer than the official battery packs, the only controller dropout I had was when the battery got a bit flaky.

Backwards compatability works well, not tried any of the Windows 10 crossover stuff yet where you can buy a game on XBox and play it on Windows as well.

Drac

Fanboyism aside, here’s not a vast amount between them for most practical purposes. The biggest compelling reason to pick one or the other is to get what your mates have so you can play online together.

There is with the newer models. The One S can’t do 4k gaming the Pro can but currently there’s no true 4k titles so they both upscale which by all accounts the S struggles with.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Donks how much you want for it?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Went through this, ordered a Xbox One S because that’s what the Lad’s mates have got – is it really true the controllers take AA batteries and aren’t rechargeable?

dragon
    Free Member

Yes they are an ecological disaster, you go through batteries at a silly rate.

allan23
    Free Member

is it really true the controllers take AA batteries and aren’t rechargeable?

My controller came with a pair of AA batteries. You can get an official rechargable pack and a huge long Play & Charge cable.

I hated the Play & Charge thing, never seemed to work reliably.

I got a set of rechargable AA batteries and use them instead – found it works better.

allan23
    Free Member

Ahem, I hardly think it’s the XBox fault that someone would keep buying non-rechargable batteries rather than get something like this. 🙂

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-Pro-Charger-x-1/dp/B00RZD32EG/ref=sr_1_3/255-0142538-0768034?ie=UTF8&qid=1480350709&sr=8-3&keywords=battery+chargers

Cougar

is it really true the controllers take AA batteries and aren’t rechargeable?

Eh? You can get rechargeable AAs, you know. I’ve got Eneloops in mine.

There’s also the “play and charge” kit, which is a sealed battery pack and a USB cable. I didn’t bother with it on the One after a poor experience on the 360, but one advantage is that you can whack in a cable if the batteries run out mid game. (I achieve the same result by having a spare set of batteries charged up.)

P-Jay
    Free Member

allan23 – Member

Ahem, I hardly think it’s the XBox fault that someone would keep buying non-rechargable batteries rather than get something like this

Still, it seems a bit of a throw-back. I was genuinely shocked

Cougar

TBH, for relatively low-power devices I’d rather have something that takes standard batteries rather than something that’s rendered useless in a few years because the proprietary battery pack has died. And like I said, you’ve always got the option of using a battery back instead if you prefer.

allan23
    Free Member

Proper batteries.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-eneloop-BK-3MCCE-Batteries – Ni-Mh-Battery/dp/B00JZBX8DQ

What kind of use do you get out of those?

I just got some cheapy EverReady thing out of Wilco with 4 batteries. Seems to last a few days of heavy use between charges, but if I can get better I’d possibly upgrade.

Cougar

I don’t know exactly, I’ve never paid much attention to how long they’re lasting. They seemed to be dying quicker of late but I’d had an issue with a dying cell. (TBF, I’ve had them for donkey’s years and they owe me nowt.) The nice thing about that charger though is you get an individual readout for each cell, so you can see what’s going on with them. There’s also a revive function which can sometimes renew elderly batteries.

The point of the regular Eneloops isn’t that they last longer in capacity terms, but rather that they don’t lose charge over time. Handy if you play less frequently and means that your spare set are already fully charged. If you’re swapping ordinary rechargeables with cells that were last charged a month ago they’ll be half flat before you’ve started.

That said, there is also an Eneloop Pro which is higher capacity. They’re not cheap though, for the price I’d rather have two sets of standard Eneloops then I’ve got a charged spare.

Cougar

That said, I suppose anecdotally I remember my old rechargeables not lasting nearly as long as alkalines, I was forever charging them. The Eneloops seem to be closer to alkalines than to their poorer cousins. This is wildly subjective on my part though. (-:

dragon
    Free Member

Yeah that’s the problem with rechargeable they simply don’t last and so kids end up slamming standard Duracells in instead.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Dilema: XBOX One or PS4….’ is closed to new replies.