Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Digital TV Aerial advice requested Please.
  • neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I have a Digital TV downstairs with a full Digital aerial on roof top, we have a poor signal strength so I guess the Aerial is boosted – I need to check on the invoice from when we had the rooftop aerial installed.
    We have no problems so long as the young chap down the road on his 2 stroke fart bike isn't around.
    The TV up stairs is analogue and connected to a Virgin Cable TV service although we no longer subscribe they have to leave the 5 terrestrial channels open, so this has been ok, Virgin have now turned off 3 of those analogue stations – so I think its time to get a digital TV up stairs – I have had a quote of £110 to put a new drop into the bedroom from the existing digital aerial, (I am pretty sure its boosted) I have no aerial cables in my loft, the cable drops down an outside wall and through into my living room. Can a new drop from this (boosted ?) aerial be easily achieved DIY, what do I need and how difficult is it to do? Please share your collective wisdom – thankyou

Del

expect so yes. just buy a splitter and a length of ariel lead from B&Q or wherever and plug the splitter in, in place of your current feed to downstairs. then plug the downstairs feed into that, and you'll have another socket for your new feed for upstairs. ariel lead/sockets are easy to fix up. hardest bit will likely be the housebashing, but you can make that as hard or as easy as you like, depending upon how fussy you are.
    BTW there's not really any such thing as a 'digital ariel', though plenty of them are sold 🙂
    are you sure virgin haven't just moved the channels you have lost? they do jig 'em about a bit now and then.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Thanks Del, house bashing – I may not have to go that far then as there is a cable inside the bedroom wall already – just need the splitter, the way the aerial man was going on I needed Jodrell Bank job to get the second TV set up.
    There is a message in place of the 3 missing channels telling us why they are no longer available, Cheers.

BigJohn

You will lose signal if you don't use an amplified splitter and that could prevent you from getting all the channels, and lead to break-up.

If you feed the signal into a Freeview Digibox (with or without a recorder) you can take the scart output to the adjacent TV and the RF out cable to the remote one. No need for an amp.

Its always worth phoning Virgin – we don't pay for our TV but they sent an engineer to replace our box when it broke.

CountZero

If you have a poor signal, even with a relatively new aerial, it could be the cable has a fault. I had a new aerial put up several years ago on the end chimney, leaving the other aerial alone, as I used my sky box mostly. After a while the terrestrial signal on the new aerial just went, but as the tv connected also used a sky box, it didn't matter too much. Anyway, I got a proper HD set, and the other tv was upgraded to an HD as well, I thought I'd get the old aerial replaced, and the shonky newer one checked. The cable had a joint in that I didn't know about, which had corroded, so the aerial guy suggested just keeping the newer aerial and rewiring to both sets in different rooms with a booster. Works perfectly, only got the one pole with much simpler wiring and the picture quality is as good as you could hope for with terrestrial. It cost a bit more, but having a professional check it over and redo all the wiring was well worth it. There's no way I'm going up on a roof fannying around with aerial fittings and wiring.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

BigJohn, Thats interesting, I will look at this advice on the weekend as I know we have coax to several rooms built into the walls of the house, so I should be able to link the Aerials up via our existing TV set up.

Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Digital TV Aerial advice requested Please.’ is closed to new replies.