Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Difference between Gore-Tex Pro-Shell and Paclite?
  • Special_ized_Jamie

Looking at getting a new waterproof and looking around these two dominate whats available.

I had read the goretex website but wondered of anyone had noticed any other significant differences?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Neither is as breathable as eVent.

loddrik
    Free Member

Paclite is a little fragile and prone to tear.

MSP

paclite has the breathabilaty of a dustbin bag.

Kit
    Free Member

paclite has the breathabilaty of a dustbin bag

My paclite might not be breathable, but it's not as warm as my eVent, so I sweat equally as much in both. Don't find eVent as breathable as everyone else seems to think.

Special_ized_Jamie

so which makes use eVent, the main one I can think of is North Face and I'm not really a fan of their stuff since they decided on becoming a fashion brand

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Montane and Rab bit use Event fabrics, and both make good kit. If your liking for a general use jacket, I found the ME Prolite to be a good bit of kit. It's made of proshell, but very light and close fitting so it works well for biking, but is hardy enough for climbing or a day out in the hills

Vader
    Free Member

i have one of each at the moment, haglof limm for biking and summer hillwalking and a marmot something for winter stuff. Both are pretty impressive, especially compared to previous XCR. The pro shell is too heavy for biking, even though it is still mentally light. The paclite is uber lightweight though, and reasonablt tough in that a couple of crashes havent damaged it. I would be wary of using it with climbing kit though, especially winter stuff where it would just get shredded.

Sadly none of the event jackets have fitted so I never got to buy one

highclimber
    Free Member

the only major difference is the backer on the inside of the jacket. Proshell has a micro weave fabric backer designed to disperse condensed water vapour (sweat) whereas Paclite doesn't so it is more prone to condesation buliding up on the inside of the jacket. Also Paclite jackets tend to have a lighter denier face fabric and so aren't recommended for use with a heavy rucksack.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Difference between Gore-Tex Pro-Shell and Paclite?’ is closed to new replies.