Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • diesel tuning boxes
  • swampi
    Free Member

Have had a fairly expensive tunit unit before on my citreon diesel, but there are loads around £70 on ebay that all get good reviews from the feedback etc, so how much better can these £300 units be as i want want for my tigra

craigxxl
    Free Member

Most tuning boxes are just a box of electronics placed between the mass air flow sensor and the ecu to fool the system into delivering more fuel. It’s a crude method that doesn’t take any other factors into consideration but if cheap is your criteria then it’s works but could cost more later in damaged injectors. One of the better ones is Roveron but I’ve heard of complaints with these too.

carlosg
    Free Member

I’ve got a Rover ron box on my Rover 75 ,It’s only set at the lowest setting but the low down pickup is very noticeable ,without it setting off from roundabouts is a scary proposition.

It’s been on the car for nearly 2 years without any problems and no detriment to fuel consumption ,45mpg urban , 54mpg on a run (measured using the filled to the brim method not onboard computer). Don’t know if they do anything for a Tigra though. http://tuning-diesels.com/ is his site.

swampi
    Free Member

cheers but he doesnt do the vauxhal/fiat 13 multijet, seeing how it alters the fueling etc i cant see why some are 3x the price

cbike
    Free Member

My vanny chums swear by van tuner. He does remaps by post as well.

Vantuner Home

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I think these tuning boxes are rubbish, they just trick the engine into over fueling.

My vanny chums swear by van tuner. He does remaps by post as well.

I don’t really see how someone can do a custom map by email or post, unless you’re just going for max BHP figures, in which cas I’d be saving up for a new turbo or whatever for the future… the only way to do it properly would be live data logging on a rolling road IMO.

My VW T5 has been remapped but with a custom tune to suit the engine on a rolling road, not had a single problem and the difference in power delivery is amazing, it does however cost £250.

bedmaker

My brother used to be an agent for Tunit. I got a box from him 6 years ago, cost around £300 and is still good, so is the car.

I asked him about the ebay ones. He said if I wanted to go that route, don’t pay £70 for a box, give him a tenner and he’ll fit a 26p resistor to fool the fuelling and get the same effect.
    He had done this for a couple of his customers who were insistent on doing it the cheap way, their engines went pop soon after.
    That’s his story anyway, but he does talk shite sometimes.
    Boxes have a reputation for being crude, I guess some are a lot cruder than others.
    My experience with it has been good. My car is too old skool for a remap (AFN engine A6) so that wasn’t an option.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘diesel tuning boxes’ is closed to new replies.