Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Didnt think it would last
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Whilst there was snow around everyone seemed to be pretty friendly and plesant. Now its melting they're all back to their me me me bubbles.

Example – Returning home last night after work on the bike, turned into my road, still only 2 ribbons of tarmac clear where tyres have worn snow / ice combo away leaving a nice central reservation of wet ice. Woman walking her (black) dog down the ribbon im currently riding down, i approach slowly so as not to spook her and the dog, she just stops and refused to move, expecting me to move over the central reservation of ice, rather than just step to one side to allow me to pass and then gives me grief when i let out a load sigh going past her. Tried to point out to her it would be nigh on impossible for me to cross over without falling off on the ice, but no. FFS!
    If it'd been a motorbike or car she'd have moved, why should i be any different?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I know what you mean.

My wife was out walking the dog last night on one of 2 clear lines of tarmac on the road, some fooker on a bike almost rode into her!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Presumably as you're getting into arguments over fantasticaly trivial stuff, you're including yourself in this observation 🙂
    I know I was tetchy as hell by the last mile cycling this morning.

Marge
    Free Member

I was cycling on Tuesday evening on a cycle path & had a jogger who chose not to use the footpath due to ice/snow nearly hit me.

He was in full IPod mode and wasn't looking up at all (I had my Troutlight on FFS) and at the last moment he woke up. Rabbit in the headlamps moment but fortunately he jumped in the correct direction….

bigyinn
    Free Member

@cynic-al As i said i didn't fly up behind her, as i didnt want to spook the dog.

@ian
    munro, not tetchy at all actually (despite having had no ciggies for 8 days now!), just frustrated by her attitude, if the situation had been reversed i'd have stood to one side, but then im a nice civil chap.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Now you know how car drivers feelo when cyclist hold them up! 😉 😆

KT1973
    Free Member

I often get this on paths around the town which are designated for cycling and walking and old codgers with dogs won't move, basically forcing me onto the edge of the cliff sometimes. I'm worried one of them will give me a shove one of these days and then it'll be curtains. Plus there's quite a lot of dodgy, minker gypo types there too.
    Same as you though, I always slow right down and call ahead and don't speed up again until I'm well passed, even if their dog is on a lead.

ojom
    Free Member

I had an interesting one last night. Just left the shop and up the road there is a road entering the main road. The driver approached the line and crossed it right into the main road over the cycle lane and nose into the main carraigeway and then just sat there. I continued on my path assuming they would roll back seeing as there was no-one behind them.
    Then of course i gesticulated to them they should roll back/not be there seeing as my path had to be altered by the obstruction and they did the usual wave back as if they are somehow superior.

5 mins later i had some donkey pull out on me from parking spaces outside Tesco. It was fun – ish but slightly scary thinking people have no firm concept of their road presence.

The ice of course doesn't help as your choice of line can be a tad limited and other users don't seem to be aware of this.

bigyinn
    Free Member

flippinheckler – dont even go there! I've had people in cars toot behind me to get out of their way before. It nearly ended in a fight. grrr.

Lenny
    Free Member

"dodgy, minker gypo types"!? Come on guys this is a bike forum not the Daily Mail.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Dont tar the rest of us with one persons comment please lenny!

mtbfix

Had the pleasure of a Landy Disco coming toward me last night on a road that consists of two clear tracks of tarmac amid the snow. I dimmed my lamp on the helmet and slowed assuming he would pull across a bit. They did not pull over and their lights stayed on full beam. So I put my lamp back on full but took the astute move of pulling over, just in case. About 20yds from me they dimmed their lights and moved over but did not slow from their 30ish mph. Oiks! Once the thaw arrives all decency and road manners will also melt away.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Didnt think it would last’ is closed to new replies.