Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Dialled Alpine vs Cotic Bfe
  • lovetoride
    Free Member

Hi all, can’t decide between the two. Who’s ridden both and what are the main differences?

Rubber-Duck

Hi I have both at the moment. They are both built up and ready to ride. I bought the Alpine first and loved that but I always planned to try a Bfe. I then bought a Bfe and run it with a 160mm fork for everything. I find the Bfe feels more lively as it has shorter chain stays,and I like this. I was looking for something to replace my Stiffee but in steel. I tend to ride the Bfe every ride because it delivers the type of ride I like and feels more responsive. I often ‘cock an eye’ at the Alpine when I am about to go riding, but I can’t face the idea of compromising my enjoyment, so I always leave with the Bfe. I do really like the Alpine but I prefer the Bfe.

I hope this helps I can ‘discuss’ if you wish. 🙂

Ed

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A good way to ruin a lively hardtail is to put 160mm forks on it

SBrock
    Free Member

160mm on a HT……..WTF

prezet
    Free Member

Not ridden my BFe on 160’s – but 140 feels about spot on going downhill over rocky ground, out the seat, hanging off the back 😀

Wind it down to 110/120 for flattish ground.

Are an Alpine and A BFE really direct comparables?

Granted, they are both hard hitting hardtails, but the Alpine is designed for minimum 130mm travel and max 160mm.

BFE is designed for 100mm to 160mm, and for all intents and purposes is a beefed up version of the Soul, so if that’s what someone is looking for, I would point them in the direction of a Prince Albert rather than an Alpine, as in my opinion a PA falls somewhere between the Soul and BFE in terms of build/application (i.e. not as XC as a Soul, not as FR/4X as a BFE).

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think the Dialled is a better downhill bike than the BFe

Rubber-Duck

Mike,

My appologies, I in no way meant for my post to sound negative in respect of the Dialled Alpine. I absolutely love the bike and I have not parted with it for that reason. I think your comments regarding their comparability are valid and as is usual, some things suit some people and they don’t suit others.

Ed

soobalias
    Free Member

so OP, what do you ride, what do you want to ride, what other bikes do you already have that you are trying to compliment

and most importantly, whats your favourite colour.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I had an Alpine. I wasn’t really getting on with it until a mate borrowed it and subsequently sorted out the dodgy, grounchy job I’d mad eof the build. I rode it once after he’d smoothified it and was very impressed. Maybe a little “weighty” (which is entirely subjective) but I think I fall in the camp that best fits a PA, much like Mike has described.

Then the thieving barstewards robbed it from my garage.

Mike gave me a great option on a pre-loved Alpine but I decided to use the limited insurance payout to replace the Kobe they also took.

If Alpine Bikes ever realise the Ti Alpine I will considering selling a kidney.

Never ridden a BFe.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

If Alpine Bikes ever realise the Ti Alpine I will considering selling a kidney.

Err, they have…

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/dialled-alpine-ti.html

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

That link keeps jamming up on my works PC.

Just proto’s aren’t they?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

CM, you should contact The Bike Chain to register interest if you are genuinely keen. If there’s not enough interest they will not be built.

Ed, no offence taken, no apology necessary.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Did do back in May. Still waiting patiently 😎

nedrapier

cheeky, how did you replace the Kobe? With something similar, but different, or was this ages ago?

coogan
    Free Member

Tried a BFE, seemed very nice, but was only a short wee blast. Then they released the Alpine and I just loved the look of it so bought one of the first ones produced. Its almost 4 years old now and still gets used regularly. It’s a such a hoot of a bike. And yes, it has 160mm forks on it. Knew they’d fit so thought I’d have a larf with it and see what it was like having them on it. They only frame I’ve fancied changing it for is the Ti version. I can’t afford that just now, so hope they never make it. :mrgreen:

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Mike, what colour Alpines do you have in stock at the minute… 😳

All Alpines are green now, Teeto.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

mike-at-dialledbikes – Member
    All Alpines are green now, Teeto.

Bugger… :mrgreen:

*Goes off to count pennies….*

coogan
    Free Member

This just so it matches your Heckler? Tart!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

coogan – Member
    This just so it matches your Heckler? Tart!

No Sarge,as a replacement… 😳

That and it’ll clash nicely with my Love/Hate in Orange… 😕

coogan
    Free Member

This just so you have a Dialled Bikes ‘stable of steeds’?! Tart!

ojom
    Free Member

Got a 16 Red here if that’s any use to you Nick – although it is built as our demo bike,

kudos100
    Free Member

Owned an Alpine and ridden the bfe. The alpine is better downhill, the bfe is better all-rounder.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

cheeky, how did you replace the Kobe? With something similar, but different, or was this ages ago?

With a secondhand one that popped up within days of me being burgled. The frame numbers were different 😉

It’s still hanging up, waiting to be re-built and looking a little unloved. Currently distracted by full sus, skill compensation, fun 😎

freeridenick
    Free Member

I love going down on my Kobe. 😛

Vortexracing

I’ve had both

and I have to agree with Kudos100.

The Alpine is very good on really steep stuff, but I thought the BFe was better as an all rounder.

IMG_2923 by eastham_david, on Flickr

IMGP1131 by eastham_david, on Flickr

I suppose you could say the Alpine is very aptley named

lovetoride
    Free Member

I think the alpine will be too much bike for what I ride although they look awesome. I need a good all rounder, able to be ridden all day but also able to take the odd downhill day and odd jump etc. Maybe the Prince Albert is more suited to me. Just think the head angle may be a bit steep?

GEDA
    Free Member

I have an Alpine as my main bike. great for singletrack, downhill, no problems climbing. I seem to get left behind by the XC boys whenon the flat though but I don’t really do bikes for the flat so that is not so important. Had a pair of 160 Marzocchi forks on it but they were a bit too high. Now got some 150 revs on it and it seems to be better suited for them. Never thought of changing my bike since I got it.

Radioman

Run my Alpine with 140 Pikes. I never need to wind them down for climbs as they are spot on for the geometry. If you saw some of the huge stuff R. Duck(post above) does on his hard tails you would realise why he uses 160mm forks…having said that he goes very fast uphill too!

My take on the Alpine is that its slightly longer in the chainstays than some others but that is also an advantage as it makes it stable. It also climbs very well. Steering is tight as they have the head angle just right.

The dropped top tube is a big selling point for me too!
    Superb stand over for short legs and tech stuff!!

Today had a Grrrrreat ride round Epping forest today on my Alpine…its my hardtail of choice.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Dialled Alpine vs Cotic Bfe’ is closed to new replies.