Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Di2 on a non Di2 frame?
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Is it possible?
    Ideally I’d like a new (road) bike, but gonna save and get something next year, but as a stop gap thinking of putting a new groupset of my 10yr old DeRosa..
    So, is it possible to out Di2 on it?
    Without too much bodging?

cchris2lou

I should think so. You need to choose external wires and battery .

TiRed

Shimano make an external wiring kit with downtube covers for the wires. As above, you mount the battery on a bottle cage mount.

Or you could drill holes in your frame 😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

its a lot neater now you can buy a load of different length wires, as above bottle cage mount, and di2 covers keep everything neat, heres mine

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Or SRAM ETap. You can buy just the duralliers and levers rather than the whole groupset. Probably cheaper than Di2 and alot less hassle with no wires, external batteries.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Probably cheaper than Di2

Not when everywhere is doing it for 47% off rrp.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Considering the dremel option here on an older carbon frame.

eshershore
    Free Member

i’ve done a few conversions for customers and it looks properly grim with the self adhesive trunking all over the frame, and zip ties to keep wires away from rear wheel.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or SRAM ETap. You can buy just the duralliers and levers rather than the whole groupset. Probably cheaper than Di2 and alot less hassle with no wires, external batteries.

You can buy Di2 mechs/shifters.

Having said that I do like the logic of SRAMs shifters rather than having the buttons mimic the cable versions. Guess it depends weather you switch bikes often and how quickly you can get used to it, the SRAM system would be a nightmare if you didn’t adapt quickly or fit it to all your bikes.

mrblobby
    Free Member

GCN review seems to suggest it’s quite intuitive and doesn’t take long to get use to. I’d probably go for it but want it for a time trial bike and the buttons and blip box seem a bit of a mess.

Anyone bodged internal di2 onto a frame that was meant for internal mechanical only?

njee20
    Free Member

It looks a lot neater on a black frame like Dirtyrider’s, because you can’t see the wires. On a white frame it looks a bit crap IMO.

As an aside seeing Dirtyrider’s – you can put the ANT+ adapter in the BB shell, plugged into the junction box, works fine! Can rattle a bit, so you may want to tape it in, looks neater. Only works with internal routing obviously.

Anyone bodged internal di2 onto a frame that was meant for internal mechanical only?

Can’t see why it wouldn’t work. May have to drill out some of the cable stops slightly so that wires go through rather than just cable inners. Need reasonable access at the BB too to fit everything in.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Can you run the Di2 cables through cable outers (or similar) to give a little more rigidity, use the existing cable routing and avoid excessive cable ties etc?

mrblobby
    Free Member

BB I think is a problem, I think it’s a solid shell. Need to do some investigations.

dudeofdoom

I might be wrong but I have a feeling you can buy an adaptor that will let you mount the internal seatpost battery next to the bottlecage..

This is a good thing as you can charge and flash via the internal battery charger which is cheaper.

Otherwise you need the external battery charger and seprate interface and tbh the external batteries orrible to look at.

DoD

mrblobby
    Free Member

let you mount the internal seatpost battery next to the bottlecage..

Would be horrid on a time trial bike! Going to try and bodge it into the seat post if I can.

dudeofdoom

Di2 cables are thin but the plugs aren’t btw and they arent cheap …
    about £12 and you need 6

1 for batt,front dr/back dr then 1 to front junction and 2 to shiftrs.

Theres an external under bb junction bracket you may be able to use.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Di2 on a non Di2 frame?’ is closed to new replies.