Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • New car buying… best way to get a good price.
  • renton
    Free Member

Have any of you bought a new car recently and got a good discount?

We are considering buying new but wanted to get some tips on how to haggle to get the best price!

Please post up your best haggling tips please!

bensales
    Free Member

Sod haggling. Put your requirements into carwow.co.uk and wait for the dealers to come to you. I got 20% off a new Mazda 3, factory order to our exact spec last year when it was a brand new model.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Be genuinely prepared to walk away.

hanchurch
    Free Member

I rang up and gave them my best price (with or with your trade in) and tell them to let you know if they are interested, it took Audi two weeks to ring me back but they did it for my price!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Discounts dependent upon manufacturers, besting prepared to walk and being prepared to buy a different manufacturers car are the keys IMHO. Of course you can bluff, pick the cars you want to try and then play the dealers off against each other. A friend recently got a very good deal on a Citroen DS by playing off the dealer against Vauxhaul. Also as above when I last bought a new car I made sure I knew the best online deals – a company which supplied you with a main dealer car delivered to your door on a truck.

Happy shopping

renton
    Free Member

Ive been on car wow … the car we are after is £25790 with metallic paint.

We have managed so far to get down to £23061 plus an extra £500 for our px

matt_outandabout

Don’t buy brand new? Ex demonstrator?

renton
    Free Member

Ive asked about the demonstrators but there are none in the spec Im after and they wouldn’t qualify for the 0% interest finance either.

steveh

There is no single answer to this question, there are too many variables. It depends on manufacturer, vehicle, time of year/month, general market conditions etc.

This could be worth a try to to see how you’re already doing if nothing else:
    http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/target-price/1214366

mrchrispy

carwow it to get an idea of the discounts on offer.
    Go in with the price you want and be prepared to walk out, not too fast mind…gotta give them change to wiggle.

bensales
    Free Member

Ive been on car wow … the car we are after is £25790 with metallic paint.

10% off and 0% finance on a new car doesn’t seem too unreasonable How much do you want to pay?

project
    Free Member

ve been on car wow … the car we are after is £25790 with metallic paint.

er
    anything by vw will be even cheaper now,

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Have a look on drivethedeal dot com

specky4eyes
    Free Member

We used carwow this summer and saved £6000 when buying a Berlingo XTRblue Hdi. That’s £6000 off recommended price. The lowest local dealers were prepared to come down to was £15000. We paid £11500.

angeldust
    Free Member

What car is it?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I got 20% off list price on a brand new Toyota (not pre-reg or anything) by playing various brokers off against each other.

renton
    Free Member

Its a 2016 model Skoda Octavia vrs with the petrol engine and manual gearbox.
    Only option is Metallic paint.

wilburt
    Free Member

I think Skoda demonstrators go for 20/25% less than new @ 3 months old but they often offer them @2 months with less than 1k miles.

Demonstrators are usually pretty good spec but no good if your after a certain spec maybe.

renton
    Free Member

Ive asked the dealers about the demonstrator but none of the them have a petrol estate version

bensales
    Free Member

Official used Skoda site has a fair few low mileage cars under a year old for around 21k/22k. With ‘finance offer’ on them ,whatever that is.

Northwind

I’m a terrible haggler but the basic rule is, get a price you want while still letting the seller get a price they want. So I pretty much go “I’m willing to spend this” and then don’t move. OK, maybe i could push it a little cheaper with good skills but if I’m happy with the price that’s not too big a deal.

(I didn’t end up buying this car as there was a fault but this is the exact conversation I had with a salesman…
    “I’m interested in that Mondeo you’re selling for £2000”
    “That Mondeo is advertised at £2500 not £2000”
    “Yup. But it’s selling for £2000, today, if you like”
    After about 20 different rounds of haggling, sales tactics, free offers etc, £2000 it was. And then it turned out to be ****ed, but still. )

It does depend on how much choice there is, though- sometimes they’ll know it’s a less common item or they’re the only place in town.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Always worth asking about demonstrators but I’ve got a better deal on a new car than the demonstrator (dealers only get so many and they are often the staff’s company car, I believe their is a tax/vat advantage for them to keep a demonstrator at least 6 months)

sing1etrack

Autoebid look to be doing some good prices on skodas. Might be a pre-reg but who cares with such a big discount.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

You may benefit from reading this…

https://www.drivethedeal.com/Pre-Registered-Cars.aspx

sing1etrack

This page suggests that the legal issues wouldn’t be a problem, it’s just you’re not technically the first owner, the disadvantages of which would have to be weighed up against the additional saving I suppose.

renton
    Free Member

The offer we have had is for a brand new unregistered car.

We would be the first owners.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Wear something tight and short and toss your hair a lot

ourmaninthenorth

There is no single answer to this question, there are too many variables. It depends on manufacturer, vehicle, time of year/month, general market conditions etc.

This.

Remember that car dealers aren’t really interested in selling cars: they sell money through the finance deal.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘New car buying… best way to get a good price.’ is closed to new replies.