Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • DHX 3 AIR: Anyone got any set up tips?
  • GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I simply cannot, for the life of me, get this shock to perform how I want. It's either too harsh and gives a choppy ride with a lot of initial stiction (or what feels like it), or it's plush but gobbles up all of it's travel, bottoms out frequently and seems dead to the trail.

If anyone has any advice or knows of any resource sites I'd be keen to hear of them, Ta.

si-wilson
    Free Member

I am sorry to say but that sounds like every dhx air I have ever come across 🙁

I don't even think tf can work their magic on those shocks either…

retro83
    Free Member

I've got a DHX air 4 on my Meta 5, I love it.

I run 110PSI in the boost valve, any less and it feels under damped. No pro-pedal, and quite light rebound damping.

It sounds to me like you need a small volume air-can on yours

clubber
    Free Member

Ditto that. My 5.0 always felt mushy and blew through the travel way too easily unless I either put loads of pressure in which meant next to no sag or so much propedal that it did nothing except on big hits. Basically I reckon the can is too big, making it too linear for most frames.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Ho-hum. Was kind of fearing a response like this, though on the bright side I do love coil shocks…..

badfink
    Free Member

On my Air 4.0, i whack propedal on full, 150psi in boost, run rebound a click or two from full slow and set sag to taste. Before I started leaving propedal on full , which the chap at Mojo recommendedd, I could never get it quite right. Now it's much, much better….

I_Ache
    Free Member

As clubber says the air can is too big what you need is a smaller one. That way it stops you from blowing through the travel while still maintaining the plush initial stroke. I dont know if you can buy a small air can for it or even retrofit a RP can (you would have to ask Mojo) but that would probably solve the issues.

But what you or anybody else can do is a small easy mod to reduce the air volume. All you need is some thin plastic (an ice cream tub would probably do) and you cut strips out of that and put them inside the air can sleeve (the big outer bit the makes it high volume) because this detaches from he main air can very easily and there are no moving parts in there. You will need to experiment with how many shims that need to be used to get your desired feel but it is easy to pop it off and jam a couple more in there and give it another try.

HTH

Onzadog
    Free Member

I find similar with the DHX 5.0 coil. I've got the right spring weight and the right sag but it always feels a bit soggy in the mid-stroke. It feels better after being pushed but I'm tempted to think that it's not one of Fox's best ideas. Doesn't help that the 6-pack I've got it fitted to has a slightly falling rate towards the end of the travel.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘DHX 3 AIR: Anyone got any set up tips?’ is closed to new replies.