• This topic has 27 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • DH Hardtails… Show me yours please!
  • SidKillerest
    Free Member

The recent Alpine v. Sovereign thread got me thinking…
    Does anyone else have a DH specific hardtail? Where do you ride it? I’m not talking about trail bikes with DH capability, just ones built specifically for going downhill, and absolutely not built for climbing back up! Triple/double chainrings adjustable forks simply will not do!!
    Here’s mine, gawd knows what it weighs but that aint the point really, is it?

Hoping to see an evil imperial or two!!

motorman
    Free Member

Is that 66VF’s – how you liking them?

Olly
    Free Member

needless to say, it was heavy, and hateful (not helped by the fork being attrocious)

its now a 120mm travel slack as slack single speed hacker. and a million times better for it. (though i do have a proper “riding down hill” bike so dont miss lugging that porker around just to get abused by it on the descents too)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mines same as ollys . Tho 20inch

Has comp 16s and downhill tubes . 710 mm bars

Built specifically to take to france for a week of tanking downhill with trail addiction hunting down power rangers .

SidKillerest
    Free Member

Motorman – they are ’05 66 RC’s, the heaviest single crown fork ever!! haha! Incredible forks, mine are set to 150mm, plusher than anything else i’ve ridden, heavy cuz they are full of oil and springs!! Best s/c dh forks ever!

xiphon
    Free Member

chvck
    Free Member

NS Surge

alpin
    Free Member

so i can’t post a piccy of mine despite riding it on DH tracks?

shame…

but you can see it on the evil/alpine thread…. 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

Mine is built for DH but that doesn’t stop me pedalling round XC jaunts!

psychle
    Free Member

May I present my Frankenbike… rather good on the DH, a beast to winch back up though! The hammerschmidt + alfine combo was a bit of a drag as well, fun idea in theory, not so great in practice!

K24 (2 of 7) by ten_sim, on Flickr

steffybhoy
    Free Member

Gotta say the 05 66rc’s are the best fork I’ve ever used.

SidKillerest
    Free Member

Alpin – I was just interested to see who else had a DH specific hardtail, just total beasts, slack tanks that are a complete nightmare to pedal uphill! I too have had an alpine, fantastic on the DH but far too versatile to appear on this thread!! 😆
    Chvck – I often take the DMR out for all day xc rides of around 5 – 7 miles. 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Not really a DH bike (it’s a trailstar and rides best with the forks in to 125mm) but that’s pretty much all it was used for this year!

transporter13
    Free Member

Ignore the tyres…usually have big bettys on 8)

randomjeremy
    Free Member

hunting down power rangers

I love this, this is the new “owning with bombers”

chvck
    Free Member

Chvck – I often take the DMR out for all day xc rides of around 5 – 7 miles.

haha, I did the dyfi enduro on my Surge!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Chvck – I often take the DMR out for all day xc rides of around 5 – 7 miles.

🙂

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Go on then.

Never really gets used except when the big bouncy bike is broken. Hilarious, but also utterly impractical.

EDIT: Didn’t answer the original question – mostly gets ridden at Dunkeld, if anywhere.

Planning a HT session at the fort before the end of this season though – any forumites game?

acehtn
    Free Member

oh well singletrack dont allow direct posting of photos, only from bucket sites.

Last few years i have raced in south wales and fort william and the south west.
    Spesh 04 P3 stock bike, great fun, about 37Lbs in DH mode, could be lighter but who cares i dont do xc races.
    Charge Blender, with 05 Z1FR2 forks, great fun on steep tech tracks, bit nervous on the high speed motorway at fort william, crap for anything flat or xc with the fork set up at 150mm.

Superfly Styler Deluxe 853, bit more of an all rounder even with the Z1FR2 up front, think it weighed in around 34Lbs for DH (thats quite light) well sorted for Fort williams WC DH track and south west/wales/dragon tracks, loads of fun, raced it for 2 years.

This year i got loaned a Atomlab Pimp2 frame, run with same parts as above and the Z1FR2 fork, compact frame, horizontal dropouts, stacks of fun at fort william, havent weighed it but floating around mid 30’s, should be making a race on Gawtons super Tavi track later this month, mostly been running singlespeed. A touch small for me but very chuckable and comfy triple butted steel frame.

I would post some piccys but HTN and dirt i can direct load without a host site. The DH HT mob are out there having fun and ripping tracks a new one 🙂

Love that Nicolai, not sure if my legs could cope with it at the fort, 🙂

cplater1
    Free Member

another thread swinging me back to wanting a bfe (instead of a mega!) good thing I dont have the money at the moment!

SidKillerest
    Free Member

kenneththecurtain – that is just nuts and i want a go on it!!

I see a couple of you are riding clipped in… bonkers, although i have noticed how easy it is to get bounced off the pedals on rock gardens and the like.

Also seems to be mainly chromo frames here – what is the Nicolai made of? looks steel like girders but i could be wrong? I like that with most of these kind of bikes the weight saving advantages of alloy are just binned off in favour of sheer tankness. But i’m also guessing those oranges are no lightweights 😀

some grand bikes on here folks, keep ’em coming.

More! More!

fourbanger
    Free Member

Something like this?:

monsta by dredworx, on Flickr

monstas by dredworx, on Flickr
    Just realised this photo is 4 years old now! Time for something new I think.

ketchup
    Free Member

Hey guys

I’m in the middle of building a downhill hardtail and I’m not sure which wheels to get, what wheels are you guys using?

chvck
    Free Member

I’m using XM819s on hope and superstar hubs but as I said I do ride XC too and I’m not very heavy. That said I’ve cased a couple of reasonable sized gaps that have squared off landings and the rims are still in pretty good shape.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

[/url] bikes by lewismorgan2011, on Flickr[/img]

Identiti
    Chris King No Threadset Ti Baseplate
    Sram x9 Rear and shifter
    Pg 990 cassette and chain
    Easton Ec Carbon DH bars
    Selle Italia S Vanox seat
    Easton Vice Stem
    Crank Brothers 5050 XX ( Terrible, do not buy!)
    Rockshox Argyle 409
    Raceface Diablolous BB and Crankest
    Identiti Krisis frame
    Halo Tornado Wheels, spindoctor hubs ( Great for bombing about on)
    Avid elixir r Brake
    Continetal Tyres
    Truvativ box guide iwth my homemade alteration!

Gary

Big Sur frame
    Deore Lx Crankset
    Recon forks
    Sram x9 rear and x7 front with x7 shifters
    Juicy ultimate brakes
    Dmr pedals
    Schwalbe tyres
    Standard Deore rims
    Cane Creek s8 headset
    Bontrager Bar and stem

The Identiti is a fantatsic bike and is solid as a nut. Garys not bad but has a habit of snapping the frame at the rear, cant fault there customer servic ethough.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Cotic BFe with coil Lyrics (and Mt Blanc)

audicoupedave
    Free Member

Bfe running 160mm totems

5lab

Surge 2010-07-25 005 by 5lab, on Flickr

ns bikes surge

although, whilst it weighs 36lbs, its not dh specific. Its also my most XC bike 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘DH Hardtails… Show me yours please!’ is closed to new replies.