Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Devon people…
  • philstone

Coming over for a visit over Easter, going to take a couple of friends out around Avon Dam and down Abbots Way to the top of Kingswood – although I haven’t ridden this for about 12 years or so…

Has anyone ridden it recently? Whats the track like these days? Used to be non tech but very fast.

Also the way we used to go was from river, up the right hand side then straight across the moor towards a pole that was on the Abbots Way – is it still there?

Thanks

Phil

crispybacon
    Free Member

you probably want to ask Slugwash as he rides over that way.

julioflo
    Free Member

Phil, Was it you who was mentioning tracks in Kings wood a few weeks ago?
    Even though I live in Buckfastleigh, I have never ridden down to the Avon Dam from the Abbotts way.
    The descent from the Abbots Way above the Avon Dam to Cross Furzes is still there, still quick (in the dry. I prefer to climb that up from Cross Furzes, head over towards Pupers Hill, climb up to Pupers a bit and descent to Ludgate, bear left along the wall and then descend to Chalk Ford, all Very quick and more technical than the descent to Cross Furzes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tiger6791

I’ve been to Devon, ‘people’ is strong word 😉

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Mmmm….That sounds a bit like a route that I do, but not sure of all the names? Do you start in South Brent & finish by going through Skerraton back into South Brent?

slugwash
    Free Member

We were up at the Avon Dam this weekend and the trails were lovely and dry 🙂 We also cycled across the Holne Moor area a week or so ago and were remarking on just how unusually firm and dry the open moor was, so unless it rains tons in the run up to easter then your ride should be stunning.

Looking towards Huntingdon Hill, just north of the Avon Dam last weekend…..

philstone

Julioflo – yep that was me..

I was actually meaning riding mainly road from Dean Prior up to Avon Dam then back along Abbots Way.

Slugwash – Cheers – let hope it stays that way.

jam-bo

bit of a hijack, but is there a reasonable off road route from south brent or ashburton/buckfastleigh into totnes?

looking to cut off some of my drive and the roads are horrible on both those routes.

slugwash
    Free Member

bit of a hijack, but is there a reasonable off road route from south brent or ashburton/buckfastleigh into totnes?

Not really. There’s the twisty and hilly unclassified Colston Lane from B’fastleigh to Hood Manor (other side of river from the main road) then the cyclepath through Dartington and into Totnes. It took me a shade under thirty minutes on a loaded MTB with pumped up knobblies a couple of weeks ago.

Ashburton (park by Subaru service station, then bridge over A38) through Landscove and Staverton then through the Dartington Estate or cycle path into Totnes is another, hillier and longer unclassified roads option.

julioflo
    Free Member

philstone – Guess you’ll could come back to Dean Prior through Kings wood? As far as I can see the most fun way down through Kings wood is to enter the gate at the top and take the remains of the single track to the right of the fire road. Where that pops back out onto the fireroad head straight on down through a path that has lots of closing in trees, which eventually leads onto a nice steep and rough bit of fire road. Or you could just take the gradually descending main fire road down through the woods.

Jam bo, Slugwash, took that very same route home tonight, run it with the dog some nights. Cycle path from Totnes to Steiner school then Colston lane back home.

jam-bo

drove that route last night just to see what it was like. not really road bike territory is it…

julioflo
    Free Member

Bit twisty and up and down isn’t it! I normally ride it on my mtb, my Mrs is fine on here 700c hybrid flat bar type bike….

slugwash
    Free Member

drove that route last night just to see what it was like. not really road bike territory is it…

In your original thread hijack you asked for an off road route into Totnes ‘cos the main roads were horrendous. There was no easy offroad route available so I gave you a tarmaced, relatively traffic free, unclassified back lanes route (that I’d be happy to ride on my road bike – you should see my commute into work!)

Now you’re complaining ‘cos it ain’t flat & wide, smooth rolling tarmac that The Tavistock Wheelers chain gang can motor down on the way into Totnes 😕

😉

jam-bo

good point, well made. I forgot that was what I asked.

I was hoping for some smooth tarmac utopia with no cars.

ah well.

philstone

Thanks everyone. Will be over from Friday onwards – anyone want to meet up for a ride? Free virtually anyday except Sunday.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Devon people…’ is closed to new replies.