Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Devil's Staircase – North to South
  • acorlett

Hello – I'll be doing the Devil's staircase as the middle part of a long ride on Saturday, and will be heading over it south to north first.

I was wandering how rideable it was in reverse – coming from Kinlochleven – as I'd rather not ride the road to Glencoe village and then up the A82 to the Kingshouse… Anyone done it that way?

Kunstler

You don't have to ride along the A82. There is a singletrack path running alongside (surprisingly fun when I rode it)that then connects with what is left of the old road (traffic free)to Altnafeadh. You join it on the south side of the A82 where the road from Glencoe village meets the main road.

The ascent is gradual this way and the scenery up through Glencoe immense. It'll give you another option to consider after you've done the north to south route. When I did it, the descent to Kinlochleven was a fantastic finale to the day. To turn around and climb back up it I imagine would be quite tough.

acorlett

Gracias. It was just going to be a way to cut a few k out of a really long route, but if the Glen Coe ascent is gradual (don't really know having only ever done it in a car – seemed steep!) then I'll just go the extra distance rather than pushing up the hill.

stuartm555
    Free Member

Did it N-S a few years ago and remember it being reasonably rideable … but I've got a habit of forgetting the miserable bits! I do remember that the descent back down to Glencoe was good 🙂

househusband

I do remember that the descent back down to Glencoe was good 🙂

Yup, we timed it well – totally clear path!

(stuartm555 in the above pics!)

stuartie_c
    Free Member

It is surprisingly rideable. Be prepared for a steep slog up a fire road for a couple of miles at the start. After that it turns into wide, rubbly singletrack which I reckon is 90-95% rideable with a bit of determination. There are some bits that are just too steep or loose but they are short. Even the steeper bits are do-able if you get in a low gear and grit your teeth. It doesn't take that long either.

the pay-off is the brilliant descent to Altnafeadh – well worth the climb!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Devil's Staircase – North to South’ is closed to new replies.