Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Deuter Speedlite 10/15/20 and/or alternatives??
  • cookeaa

Hi all,

I need a new day to day backpack and I could also do with a new hydration/bike pack, but as I don’t need a new bladder/hose etc (my current one is pretty new and actually looks very similar to the ones deuter already sell) it seems like a good idea to just combine these two needs into one and just buy a bag that can be used for both.
    My absolute upper budget limit is £40 (Missus enforced) if I can undershoot that and still get something that does the job I will.

-Ideally I want something light weight but stable maybe around 10L capacity (excluding bladder) and anything on the bigger side 15L+ need to pack/strap down nicelyso it stays stable, so straps/zips to pull it in would be a good thing.

-It doesn’t need to be waterproof as I will get a suitable rain cover and/or pop a dry bag inside.

-A few decent external pockets would be nice for phones/keys/wallet/tools etc just to make the muggers lives easier.

-Ideally a helmet/pad holder/bungies, or the facility to fit an aftermarket one would be great, but not essential…

-Bright visible colours might not be a bad idea as I will be using it on the road and for commuting, but again not a deal breaker.

I was browsing last night I happened upon the speedlite 10 and 15 at pretty reasonable prices online and seemed to tick many of my boxes, but I’d like to know first how any current owners get on with this pack, and second if there are any other good alternatives about in the same sort of price range?

lemonysam
    Free Member

I and almost everyone I ride with has a Speedlite and I just bought one for my brother. They’ll do the job fine.

cookeaa

Nice, out of interest What size do you use?

Mackem

I know it’s 8 quid more but this looks a bargain. If their delivery charge to spain wasnt so high I’d be all over it.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_747547_langId_-1_categoryId_165687

thepurist

Also worth looking at the Vaude range – similar to the Deuter you posted but with a trampoline style back to reduce sweatiness. And it doesn’t tuern into a sausage as soon as you put water & gear into it, which is exactly what my Mule did. The Cluster Air prob fits your needs best is 10l expandable to 13 and can be had within your 40 quid. FWIW I now use a Juicy 7+3 on most normal rides & a bigger Deuter bag (cross air exp) on longer trips.

stumpy01

I’d second a Vaude bag, although the Deuter ones look pretty good too.
    I’ve got a Splash Air 20+5 (Vaude) and it’s a pretty good pack. Only real gripe is the lack of compartmentalisation in the small front pocket.
    They come with built in rain covers, the straps (on the model I have at least) are very adjustable, and it comes with a kind of helmet holder that in reality is a flap of material with a loop connector on each corner. It’s rubbish at holding helmets in place, but really good at stashing elbow/knee pads.
    Best thing about the Vaude bags in the air back that really keeps the pack away from your back and wards off sweaty build-up. It works very well, but does add a bit of weight. For me, it’s worth it.

cookeaa

Hmmm, affraid the budget is set in stone so the mule is out, plus I’m not totally sold on camelbak and I don’t need to pay for yet another bladder I won’t use…

The Vaude 10+3 looks interesting the expansion feature is a nice touch as is the suspension system, the fact that they include a raincover and a helmet holder

I’m still drawn towards the speedlite 10/15 on basic price, but the Vaude seems to offer a bit more features wise for a pretty fair price… Hmmm, seems I may have some more research to do…

yoshimi

These Revolution branded packs by Edinburgh Cooperative are just rebadged Vaude packs and are a bit cheaper, worth a look…….

Edinburgh Cooperative ‘rebadged’ vaude packs

stumpy01

The Vaude Trail Light 12 also looks pretty good (you’ve got me looking now)…and you might be able to get it under £40 although it’s looking more like £55.

cookeaa

Yoshimi – You are right; the description for the “Revolution S2” reads a lot like the Vaude cluster Air 10+3 which I’m starting to become keener on that the Deuter…

Cheers for that…

lemonysam
    Free Member

I use a 15 and my girlfriend the 10, I’d say the 15 is the more useful bag as it’s stable enough when nearly empty, doesn’t flap about and has enough space for a small commuting bag or day sack when we’re out for a walk. They’re both top bags and very tough.

rootes1

i got one of these

Ground Effect Reservoir Dog

in their sale.. inc postage was less than £40

very comfy and sits low on your back

stumpy01

With regards to those revolution bags – the Stow Sport S2 20+5 is definitely the Vaude Splash Air 20+5. It’s the bag I ride with and to be honest, it’s too big for most rides but I use it as it’s the only bag I have (apart from one of the teeny camelbak ones)..

That Ground effect bag looks interesting….

rocketman
    Free Member

Speedlite 10 is a rucksack first and foremost that can be used with a reservoir. It is a quality bit of kit and unlike some I could mention works very well without the reservoir. My only reservation is that it is on the small side – only room for easily packable items with a reservoir although it’s fine as a daysack without one.

mrs rocket uses hers a lot and like all the best kit it is allegedly unobtrusive in use.

cookeaa

TBH I don’t really want/need a larger pack it’ll be heavier, flappy if under filled or I’ll succumb to the temptation and pile it full of useless crap, nope small is beautiful 10 to 15L Max…

Quite liking the Revolution and Vaude jobbies that people have linked Many many thanks all for the suggestions…

sweaman2
    Free Member

I have a speedlite 20 which is my “go to” pack for almost everything. Mountain biking; trail running; nordic skiing; commuting etc. I really like it as it is light; cheap and simple. I also like the fact that the 20l is a single compartment so I can fit in some lightweight but quite bulky stuff easily (like a big down jacket when I’m out skiing in sub-zero conditions) This is more tricky if your 20L is spread out among compartments.

I especially like the way the Speedlites straps can be connected all the way across the back if you’re not carrying much. A really nice touch.

Having said that I would make a couple of changes;
    The hydration outlet is too low on the side of the bag so the tube doesn’t come directly over the shoulder . Have to use a zip tie to re-route it upwards.
    When you compress the straps the outer pockets on each side become almost in-accesible.

That’s it. I looked long and hard for a pack like this and was delighted when it finally appeared.

rootes1

With regards to those revolution bags – the Stow Sport S2 20+5 is definitely the Vaude Splash Air 20+5. It’s the bag I ride with and to be honest, it’s too big for most rides but I use it as it’s the only bag I have (apart from one of the teeny camelbak ones)..

I had a Vaude – fantastic bag, shame I left it on the train one day at Clapham… too big as a riding pack I would have thought though, but comfy and well made.

That Ground effect bag looks interesting….

Yer good value as well as it comes with a platypus bladder

stumpy01

^^^ yeah, my bag is pretty big, but it does me for everything…commuting bag, days out riding bag, trip to Tescos bag, riding in Spain with loads of water, pads, first aid kit etc. bag…

kinda why I am thinking of getting something smaller, which would probably suit my ‘normal’ rides better.

rootes1

^^^ yeah, my bag is pretty big, but it does me for everything…commuting bag, days out riding bag, trip to Tescos bag, riding in Spain with loads of water, pads, first aid kit etc. bag…

yer good thing about the splash was that you could get two bottles of wine (one on each side) in those side mesh pockets and then rest of shopping instead and a loaf of bread tired to the outside!

Speshpaul

The MULE would come in under budget if you sold the new bladder.
    I run Deuter and its all good stuff, Colwolds had Camebak clone in the other week for less than 30. Also try searching for Gelert nowt fancy but the price is right

seanoc
    Free Member

Look at trail running bags; usually cheaper and alot lighter than MTB equivalents. I imagine robustness is somewhat sacrificed but I’m yet to rip mine. Inov8 do a couple which could be in your price range as do Salomon.

strackbaz
    Free Member

I recently purchased the Speedlite 20 from Cotswolds for £35 in their sale (cheapest I could find). It’s a great bag, very light and feels very well made. My only gripe is that it didn’t come with a bladder.

Got the red one as it’s nice and bright for the commute. Not sure how waterproof it is though and it doesn’t come with a built in rain cover. Has an open mesh pocket that will easily store a hump cover.

PaulD
    Free Member

c,

I have 2x 10L, 2x 15L and 1x 20L Speedlites.

I think they are superb, but lack the extra useless features on other packs to keep the weight to the minimum.

I use the 10L for half-day rides and prefer the new yellow model as it has a light-strap and is much more visible. It also has 4 loops for strapping extra clothing outside. The 20L is excellent for all-day or air travel. Wife prefers the 15L for walking and air travel.

All-in-all, an excellent product that is slowly gathering weight with each re-invention. Not worn one out yet. Waist straps seem to be the same across the range, but I removed all of mine.

PaulD

Mackem
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Deuter Speedlite 10/15/20 and/or alternatives??’ is closed to new replies.