Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Desire or N900?
  • TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

As above, they're both around the same price, I fancy the Android but like to type alot.

What can one do, that the other can't, if anything?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Or the Nokia X6, which is considerably cheaper at around £200?

maxray
    Free Member

The n900 does not have a capacative screen and is more aimed at the geeky end of the market (tho Nokia may be trying to re align this after the n97 debarcle)

I considered the n900, x6, desire & legend before finally plumping for the desire. It has ticked all the boxes I wanted GPS for bike rides a decent screen and performance for watching videos and the like and decent internet.

I think if you are goin gto do really tekky things possibly go for the n900 but if not the Desire.

I think the x6 is still a symbian operating system which is miles off android 2.1

All my opinion though.

Have a look at the reviews on techradar:

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Desire would be top of the list, but also most expensive.

Considered the N900 for the keypad and X6 for the price

IA

N900 keyboard is excellent, tho it's more of a linux computer that's also a phone, rather than vice-versa.

Camera's a shedload better on the nokia, HTC can't make cameras.

Does the fact you have Xterm by default on the N900 excite you? Do you even know what I'm on about? If not, then the N900 probably isn't for you.

N900 is basically a geek-phone, which you can hack to do a lot of fun stuff. You can see what I've been up to with mine here:
    http://doitdifferent.wordpress.com/

muggomagic

HTC can't make cameras

Camera on the desire is pretty good actually. maybe not up to carl zeiss standards, but good none the less.

KonaTC

Sorry for the hijack

Following this thread: I have a similar quandary after several months my Nokia n96 has gone. Vodafone have offered me a replacement hand set, I can have either a Sony Ericson X10 or a HTC Desire. Reviewed both phones on the web and can't really make up my mind which one…. Sony better camera HTC Android 2.1, etc, etc.

Looking to use the phone as a phone, text, web browsing and take pictures, must have GPS, any suggestion/advice greatly received

glenh
    Free Member

Camera on the desire is pretty good actually. maybe not up to carl zeiss standards, but good none the less.

Well it must be better than the one on my Nexus One then (although I'd be surprised if it wasn't identical), 'cos that is **** awful.

That said, I don't really care – it's a phone not a camera. I never really take pictures with it.

muggomagic

read a few reviews before upgrading and they also stated that the camera on the desire was a vast improvement on HTC previous attempts.

It's better than the 5MP camera on my Nokia 6220 classic and far better than the one on my iphone.

I looked at the X10 also and went for the desire because of the android 2.1 mainly due to this review

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Haven't come across any apps for my X10 so far that say "no, you need 2.1"

Bit of a non issue as far as I can see, they are updating it in sept anyway.

If you have a Desire, can you read the screen outdoors? That's what put me off.

I'm looking at the same two, but what concerns me more is the actual phone antena reception.
    Always had Nokia's in the past, last phone was a Samsung & the phone reception is crap.
    So, what are HTC like for this?

29erKeith
    Free Member

Desire is lovely, it's top of my list come upgrade time.
    antenna receptions seem good on my Hero and not heard of any Desire problems either,
    a couple of guys I work with have just got Desires

only down side to Android for me is there's still no decent DivX support

bigyinn
    Free Member

Got an X10 last week and now my number port is sorted and my router at home changed im rather liking it.
    I know its not running Android 2.1 yet, but later this year it will.
    Nice clear display and the touch response is fine for me, although others have moaned about it a bit.
    Camera is good too. I like the sharp clean lines it too, some phones look a bit lumpy.

mogrim

I had a similar dilemma, ended up with a Nexus One (the Desire wasn't out then). The screen was the big selling point, and the Android market. The camera's fine, maybe not as good as the Nokia but good enough for a mobile phone – if I want to shoot decent stuff I'll plan ahead and take the DSLR, for capturing spur-of-the-moment shots it's more than OK.

Overall I'm very happy with it.

mogrim

Another point, the Nokia is a real brick of a phone – it's not actually that much heavier than the Desire, but somehow it makes you feel it weighs twice as much.

KonaTC

muggomagic

also seen the review you posted, whilst it picks faults with the phone it still gets an excellent overall review

The risk as I see it is that the andriod upgrade later this year isn't what it should be..

muggomagic

Kona TC
    You're right. I wasn't trying to suggest it was a crap phone, merely that I was trying to decide between the desire and X10 and that review helped make up my mind.

zaskar
    Free Member

I desire the Desire!

If you can get it free on a contract that is.

I always chose wicked phones, but last renewl chose one that suits riding and taking pics liek C905.

Now I don't want to get left behind and use more functions -the new phones can be great!

Get the Desire -read the reviews of phones you're interested in and have a go in a shop.

Gowrie
    Free Member

Have you seen this report? Suggests Android is gaining real traction. Over 50,000 apps now – although still not an easy way to access them all. I had a Hero, which I thought was great, now have a Desire, which is just another level slicker. 🙂

Colin

bigyinn
    Free Member

Android market?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Desire or N900?’ is closed to new replies.